Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
lol - I think it's rather clear, isn't it? If one's intent is strong enough, he can manipulate any raw data to support his own view.

And that Syracuse/central NY (which is fairly synonymous, given the proximity and easy access with the county) is still the only major upstate NY metro to see a gain in population, not only stopping the previous STEEP declines but also bucking them, in reverse, pretty thoroughly. Considering the enormous amount of people I remember leaving the area in the early part of the decade, which wasn't accounted for since it happened just *after* the last census, I think that even that 12K+ number doesn't come close to documenting just how many people have moved here since.
Actually, I believe that the Rochester and Albany-Schenectady-Troy metros had gains this decade as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:09 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,215 times
Since there isn't much to do here, people tend to breed like rabbits. More rabbits equals a raise on your welfare check.
Let's not forget the busses of drug addicts that get shipped up here for "rehab" from the Salvation Army. There are tons of handouts to be had here in New York because of no residency restrictions. I know people who chose to move here because of the cheap living and the abundance of handouts.

I helped make Onondaga County more diverse by stating I am a Pacific Islander. I am sure everyone else told the truth on their paperwork. Statistics can be twisted to fit the person who is using them as fact.... kinda like the bible. 20 people can read the same thing and take from it 20 different ideas.

Last edited by ToeJam; 03-25-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 PM

127 posts, read 271,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Since there isn't much to do here, people tend to breed like rabbits. More rabbits equals a raise on your welfare check.
Let's not forget the busses of drug addicts that get shipped up here for "rehab" from the Salvation Army. There are tons of handouts to be had here in New York because of no residency restrictions. I know people who chose to move here because of the cheap living and the abundance of handouts.

I helped make Onondaga County more diverse by stating I am a Pacific Islander. I am sure everyone else told the truth on their paperwork. Statistics can be twisted to fit the person who is using them as fact.... kinda like the bible. 20 people can read the same thing and take from it 20 different ideas.
I wonder how much of the population increase is due to people actually moving here rather than normal breeding and lower mortality rates, improved healthcare and stuff like that.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
I wonder how much of the population increase is due to people actually moving here rather than normal breeding and lower mortality rates, improved healthcare and stuff like that.
It's probably from a little bit of that and people moving here/back. Immigration has helped as well.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post

I think you are really reaching with this and much of this doesn't make sense. You could say the same about stats anywhere.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,553,563 times
Winter in Syracuse seems to last 6 months or more. I moved to Florida because I was very tired of the snow and cold. I don't miss cleaning off my car or driving in the snow. Syracuse gets much more snow than Long Island that's for sure. Check out the average temps and snowfall for Syracuse using a weather site. They get a lot of lake effect snow too.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Went out to the bars both Friday and Saturday night in Armory. Was not pleasant walking from the car to the bar in below 20 degree temperature during the last weekend in March.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
Went out to the bars both Friday and Saturday night in Armory. Was not pleasant walking from the car to the bar in below 20 degree temperature during the last weekend in March.
Does the need to keep warm help the hook-up percentage climb?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Does the need to keep warm help the hook-up percentage climb?
Yup. My brain doesn't function to its full capability when it's below 20 degrees at the end of March.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM

It was not 20 below this weekend. Where did you get that from?

Also, the heat can be unbearable in the South for a large portion of the year too. It's bad when the Army tells it's soldiers to pull up their pants up and to take their shirts off during Basic Training. This happened to me at Fort Jackson SC and Ft. Gordon GA during AIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area