Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The trouble with homes around here is they don't add value and things cost the same and nice areas are retreating and ghetto's expanding and the tax man hides behind every bush.

Cleanliness is of coarse cheap and a different subject. I don't think NYers are on average any cleaner or dirtier then anyone else.

But we buy HI supplies at Home Depot and Lowes just like alot of the country. The nicer areas of coarse have Menards but we are cut off from them<massive sigh>

My house needs paint. Needs paint badly in fact. I have a 5gal airless spray rig and all needed ladders. If you have cash and want me to spray your house I'll be right over. But I will not spray my own. It takes time and money and will not add to the value. But the tax man will be here the next day to add to my already insanely high dreamworld assessment.

Same thing with the inside. I build kitchens for fun and tool money. But a good kitchen made out of local hardwoods can easily exceed the value of most homes in this area. I've learned to ask afew basic questions and if I feel the numbers are scaring them I reccomend pre-built boxes from Lowes.

The houses here don't have the value to support improvements. Part of "cheap housing prices" is cheap houses. The free lunch just doesn't exist.

The ghetto part is the sad part. In a strange turn of events the most horrifying ghettos of today were yesterdays nice areas. Its often hidden by years of grime and crack soot but many of the most beautiful places in this area are in areas were angels fear to tread. Oneida is loaded with these places and Syracuse has some too. The Village of Canastota is crawling with them. Many of these houses are trimmed with woods, hidden under 50 coats of paint, that are illegal to buy today at any price. Crackheads are surrounded by beauty that a millionaire can't have.

NY really is a state of much heartache.
I understand the local economy is not great, but more than that through my eyes, it's an attitude that's prevalent here. A "giving up" or downtrodden view of things. Fixing things up will add value cuz you'll sell it!! The houses we saw that weren't kept up are still on the market... So, that's the value of it--to sell or not sell. The better kept up ones sold within 2-3 months, multiple bids on the ones we made a bids on. Not a snobby thing I'm saying here. Just the facts. Yes, some beautiful homes and wood hidden under coats of paint. Diamonds in the rough. That's a plus in this area, if you can find and restore. Interesting remark...surrounded by beauty that a millionaire can't have. You have the mind of a poet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
To be honest I was drinking Chock Full Of Nuts coffee and the old jingle popped into mind.

To live in the old nice areas requires a pretty big set, crime is very high in those areas. Schools are also a problem so having no children is really the only option. Even in tiny Oneida the old nicer parts would put your kids in North Broad. You may as well give your kids bath salts and teach them to steal at home as send them there.

Fixing up a house to sell is a tricky subject. Banks are tough to deal with. They know values are never coming back in NY so they really would just take the loss. The government will just bail them out. I'm seeing more and more abandoned houses around the area this year. Including a super nice one up on Rt 5 that I dream about every time I'm headed West. If it costs 30K to add 20K to the selling price then the heck with it.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I don't know about the ghetto expanding and home values have held steady, if not having appreciated a little bit in a positive direction in the area.

Oneida is actually a solid school district too: Schools in Oneida City School District - Oneida, NY | GreatSchools

There are private school options there too: St. Patrick's School

Holy Cross Academy

Many of the homes are going to be a bit older due to earlier growth period of the area. With that said, you can find reasonably priced newer homes in the area. RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM

Holy smokes Vintage, does CD deliver or what??

Them Norwegian girls can be hawt!!!

Best of luck to ya buddy!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 AM

First of all I went to Mt Markham so don't blame Oneida schools for me!!!

I think all NY schools suck, some just suck more. Also possible this is nationwide, I have not delt with sending kids to school outside NY.

All they learn is how to take tests. They don't learn anything that's not on a standardized test. Drives me nutz. Kids don't learn how to learn here, they learn how to take tests. And they learn all the PC crap about things that make them look sensitive as heck but has very little to do with what actually happened.

Again, the whole nations schools may suck but I'm talking local.

And when I said N. Broad I was serious. I bet within 10 years 90% of each class is on EBT or incarcerated.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
First of all I went to Mt Markham so don't blame Oneida schools for me!!!

I think all NY schools suck, some just suck more. Also possible this is nationwide, I have not delt with sending kids to school outside NY.

All they learn is how to take tests. They don't learn anything that's not on a standardized test. Drives me nutz. Kids don't learn how to learn here, they learn how to take tests. And they learn all the PC crap about things that make them look sensitive as heck but has very little to do with what actually happened.

Again, the whole nations schools may suck but I'm talking local.

And when I said N. Broad I was serious. I bet within 10 years 90% of each class is on EBT or incarcerated.
Teaching to the test is a national issue, not just a NY issue. Even with that, NY schools aren't as bad as you may think. Locally, there are plenty of good schools and school districts. The Business Journals

Since you went to MT. Markham, you may know that NY State's first elected African American born mayor actually presided over a community in that district. Do you know who it is and do you know what community it was? By the way, he technically isn't the first Black mayor of a municipality in NY State and to my knowledge, the two I know about, one was
appointed(I could be wrong about that though) and the other was born in Canada. Both were also in Central NY too. For the answer, I'll give a hint and say that this was in the 1970's.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-14-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM

I do know the town, I vaguely remember hearing about it. I actually lived in Richfield Spa and pre-innerweb a World away from Bridgewater. Why my parents thought MM was better is lost to time. With the walk to the MM bus stop, the ride to West Winfield and then the ride to Herkimer for BOCES most of my school time was spent on a bus LOL. Prolly 3 hours a day or better.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Holy smokes Vintage, does CD deliver or what??

Them Norwegian girls can be hawt!!!

Best of luck to ya buddy!!!
???

Sean, explain yourself please! Are there some Norwegian girls I'm unaware of?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
To be honest I was drinking Chock Full Of Nuts coffee and the old jingle popped into mind.

To live in the old nice areas requires a pretty big set, crime is very high in those areas. Schools are also a problem so having no children is really the only option. Even in tiny Oneida the old nicer parts would put your kids in North Broad. You may as well give your kids bath salts and teach them to steal at home as send them there.

Fixing up a house to sell is a tricky subject. Banks are tough to deal with. They know values are never coming back in NY so they really would just take the loss. The government will just bail them out. I'm seeing more and more abandoned houses around the area this year. Including a super nice one up on Rt 5 that I dream about every time I'm headed West. If it costs 30K to add 20K to the selling price then the heck with it.
...and I'm back to wondering if I'm making the right decision, buying a house up there. How can two people have such completely different assessments?!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
???

Sean, explain yourself please! Are there some Norwegian girls I'm unaware of?
The Mods have been in for a cleanup.

There was a post in very broken egrish about you needing to get in touch with here fast to find love.

I Goggle some of the words and they were Norwegian.

I wish I had taken a screen shot, it was very funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area