Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Yes, that someone is you. $5K is a lot of $? Hope you're a home owner, otherwise if you're renting, you're spending the extra $5K on that. Refineries are unsightly. If I go to the beach, I don't want to look at this (that's Galveston)....

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/fil...2/IMG_0887.jpg

Consumer Prices in Houston, TX are 3.71% lower than in Tampa, FL Consumer Prices Including Rent in Houston, TX are 8.51% higher than in Tampa, FL Rent Prices in Houston, TX are 39.27% higher than in Tampa, FL Restaurant Prices in Houston, TX are 1.50% higher than in Tampa, FL Groceries Prices in Houston, TX are 0.42% lower than in Tampa, FL Local Purchasing Power in Houston, TX is 2.99% lower than in Tampa, FL
Just out of curiosity … why do the refineries need to be right on the water like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Just out of curiosity … why do the refineries need to be right on the water like that?
They go hand in hand with the oil rigs a few miles out.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
They go hand in hand with the oil rigs a few miles out.
Gotcha. So why ruin beach views with oil refineries? It must not be cost effective to go from rig to refinery unless the refinery is directly on the water. I guess oil brings in more money than those looking for a nice beach to relax.

I REALLY hope Florida doesn't do something like that in the future. I'd rather see our state bring in less income than to have our lovely beaches clogged up with refineries.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,857 times

If you use a graph to help you through life you will always be stuck in the median.

When I say wake up and be successful (work, home, etc), if you run to a graph, you have no clue what I am talking about.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Close to the product in the gulf, access to gulf for tankers going out...

Quote:

Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Yep.
Quote:
Exactly! Though I will say I've learned that some people aren't sure how to go about making their lives or the lives of their children better. I literally had to walk some parents through the process of helping their child go through the application process for life beyond high school. Many never knew they were supposed to be touring college campuses and beginning the process early on in high school. Those who had the drive to grab onto the help I was offering were able to secure better futures for their children. Those who did not … well … their kids are the ones working dead end jobs now and struggling to meet their bills.

I have a sister who does not have a college degree. She is a single mom and does not live extravagantly. Many times she has had to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. Well, she lost her job here in Florida, and she was pretty depressed about it for several months. Rather than complain about things, she picked herself up, found a way to secure some loans and scholarships, and is now putting herself through school to become a paralegal while working part-time. She is almost finished and has already made enough connections through school and her professors to land a decent job.

Most people CAN better their lives if they so desire and know where to go for help. Know what drives your local economy and find a field that will profit well there. If you don't like your job situation in Florida, DO something to change it. I busted my tail to get through college and grad school, as did my husband. We just recently paid off our student loans and, after a lot of discipline and hard work, we are able to enjoy some financial success.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Gotcha. So why ruin beach views with oil refineries? It must not be cost effective to go from rig to refinery unless the refinery is directly on the water. I guess oil brings in more money than those looking for a nice beach to relax.

I REALLY hope Florida doesn't do something like that in the future. I'd rather see our state bring in less income than to have our lovely beaches clogged up with refineries.
Me too.. that's the price you pay for an extra $5K average income in TX (at least in the Houston metro area).

Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Me too.. that's the price you pay for an extra $5K average income in TX (at least in the Houston metro area).
I've never been to Houston, but I have been to a few other places in Texas and loved it there. It's a great state. I just happen to like Florida better.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
If you use a graph to help you through life you will always be stuck in the median.

When I say wake up and be successful (work, home, etc), if you run to a graph, you have no clue what I am talking about.
I have no clue what you're talking about in this post, that's for sure.

People in all professions use data collected before making decisions. I work in health care. We look at vital signs (data) to help make decisions. Almost every conceivable professional uses data to come up with conclusions.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

I dont know how anyone makes a conclusion without data. I think they call that "a hunch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I have no clue what you're talking about in this post, that's for sure.

People in all professions use data collected before making decisions. I work in health care. We look at vital signs (data) to help make decisions. Almost every conceivable professional uses data to come up with conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay