Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:24 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times

Advertisements

that's not St. Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Frankly I was always nervous in Pinellas Park, and that's about as white as you can get.

The creepy redneck drunken scary guy factor runs high there. Some kid tailgated and harassed me in the wal mart parking lot (there's a place to be on the weekend...yeesh)

Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
that's not St. Pete
Heh - I know but we were talking about crime/race/perception of "bad areas" throughout the Tampa Bay region so I tossed that in there

Old 03-20-2008, 02:50 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,724 times
Sulphur Springs, University, Drew Park, and Ybor city outside the main drags are to be avoided. Other areas are not so bad, which is not to say the rest of the city will look glamorous. West Tampa, for example, is not as bad as it looks. By the way, many of Tampa's best neighborhoods have noticeable minority populations. Tampa Palms is about 15% non-white. My sub-division in Wesley Chapel is nearly "majority minority" and has no crime issues at all. Character, not color people. I repeat CHARACTER, NOT COLOR.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:52 AM

286 posts, read 1,029,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Thousands of other people? Seems like all I hear when I watch the news most of the time are domestic crimes or crimes against people who know each other like drug related crimes and even this doesn't happen as much as people act like they do in these areas. When is the last time you heard of a random act of violence or your car getting shot up just for driving through. Sure hasn't happened to me in the many times either passing through, or checking out the scenery in all these areas.

I sadly think people are just scared of black people and have nothing to say about all the other crimes that happen all over the Tampa Bay area every day. But when something happens in these neighborhoods it reinforces their stereotypes that these areas are warzones that you should be very afraid of.

I know I sound extreme. I am more trying to play the devil's advocate here, but for good cause in my opinion. These areas are not as bad as anyone here make them out to be.
You're exactly right. A black man's mugshot is on TV, the racists will say "SEE I'M RIGHT, ALL BLACKS ARE BAD!" People seek out affirming evidence to reinforce their prejudices. That same person would not see a white sex offender on tv and go "aha, I knew all white folks are bad!" This needs to stop.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:27 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Personally, I really don't feel unsafe in most of Tampa. I mean, I won't get out and go to a gas station if there's a crowd of suspicious-looking people outside or I certainly won't park and walk around the projects, but overall, you're certainly not going to get shot in the Tampa ghettos. Heckled and stared at, maybe, but that's it.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,231 times
Y am I not suprised this went there?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,150 times
Default What about Old Seminole Heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post

And stop with all of this "black/white" garbage. The areas posted are the worst areas in the City of Tampa. That's a fact. Look at the crime statistics and you will see for yourself. You can blame it on whatever you wish, but that doesn't change the fact that there is more crime in East Tampa, Sulphur Springs, and around Ybor than there is anywhere else in the city.

OK I have to ask this question simply because of Geography. What about Old Seminole Heights and Live Oaks Square. They are right in the middle of East Tampa and Sulphur Springs. Is the crime there not bad? The reason I'm asking is I am moving to Tampa on Oct 1st and I want to find a fixer-upper house and there are a couple in those areas. Of course I'm renting for a year before I actually buy a house. But if I can pick up one for a song and have a year to fix it up I will be in a very good position.

Thanks for you help.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_surfer View Post
OK I have to ask this question simply because of Geography. What about Old Seminole Heights and Live Oaks Square. They are right in the middle of East Tampa and Sulphur Springs. Is the crime there not bad? The reason I'm asking is I am moving to Tampa on Oct 1st and I want to find a fixer-upper house and there are a couple in those areas. Of course I'm renting for a year before I actually buy a house. But if I can pick up one for a song and have a year to fix it up I will be in a very good position.

Thanks for you help.
Charlie, beware of the boundaries. One street can make a huge difference. If you don't know the area, someone will take advantage of you. Following is a boundary map to the historic district in Seminole Heights --> http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Historic_Preservation/information_resources/District_Maps/index.asp.

In the past 60 days, the average retail sales price around Live Oaks Square is $40.59psf.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_surfer View Post

Thanks for you help.
Old Seminole Heights is quite nice WEST of I-275, or even better WEST of Florida Avenue. I have a friend and his wife that live East of I-275 and north of Sligh Ave, and that is a nice area of young couples and older folks.

Here is the neighborhood map for Old Seminole Heights>http://www.tampagov.net/appl_neighbo...ult.aspx?id=68

Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,672 times
I work in Tampa the majority of my time (live here as well) and I deal with forclosed homes. AKA i am in the bad parts of town a lot. and honestly, like every city, there are bad areas...but the whole pointing out black neighborhoods? I can honestly say i feel fine and safe in those neighborhoods. if your just passing through and dont act like a dumb *****, everyone goes about their business. that goes for any neighborhood in tampa. You keep to yourself, they keep to theres. simple as that. youll be fine traveling through. I can say however, dont stumble into south side st. petes. thats a whole different storie. and i can say that because i got jacked while working on 6th street.

Just stick to high ways and main roads. if you wonder off, keep to yourself and youll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay