Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You walk outside and you're sweating almost instantly.
I am? Well I am glad you told me, because I had no idea I was feeling so hot and sweating.....LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I prefer 80+ outdoors at any given time. I dont like major fluctuation like 85f in summer and below 32f in the winter. Cant have nice flowering landscape, ponds nice plants, gardens and there are no nights sitting on the swing in the screened lanai when it goes below 70 outdoors Below 50f outside, my heating system gets put on. You may enjoy trudging through a foot of more of snow to get your mail, like shoveling out the driveway to get to work and negotiating ice covered roads and sidewalks while wearing layers of heavy clothing, ear muffs, gloves, scarfs, wool hats. I didnt.
For summer, I like it mid 80's to mid 90's, with dew points in the mid to upper 70's.

In wintertime, I like it in the 70's, with dew points in the low to mid 60's.

I never like low dew points, as I find it too dry. I just feel better in more humid air......well, as good as I can considering.

Oh, wait. That is what we have here. I knew there was a reason we chose to live here.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Its like people who exaggerate the heat. Some make it sound like they would melt into the pavement if they ventured outside in the summer.
I'll be honest, I prefer the cold over the heat, but I don't really exaggerate the heat too much either. I grew up in Florida and I enjoyed my summers. The problem with the heat is not how hot it gets, but how long it LASTS. When fall comes, it's still hot in September and October. As much as I love a hot July by the poolside, when September rolls around I wanna start seeing cooler temperatures. Highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s would do fine in September, and I wanna see the 50s in October. You technically do get that kind of fall weather in North Florida, but not in South Florida. The heat gets tedious after August.
I would hate if I still had snow on the ground in Minneapolis by mid-April, but that doesn't usually happen there. Usually the last of the snow in Minneapolis melts in early April, late March on a good spring. By mid-April things will start to bloom and it'll get green again. The heat lasts longer down in FL than the cold does up north, which is why I'd rather live up north.

I'm enjoying the summer here in Texas, though it HAS been cooler than normal. (On Tuesday Abilene had record rainfall, the streets were all flooded) I notice the heat in Texas is more comfortable. It's drier here as we are in the southern great plains. The desert's a few hours to the west. A dry heat is very much nicer as you evaporate better and when you get in the shade, there's a noticeable difference in the temperature. I will say one of the things I love about Florida summers are the thunderstorms, but I do wish they were a little less frequent. I'm visiting my family in Florida (family in northwest and south Florida) this next week and literally every day I am gonna be in Miami it's gonna rain! The good thing about the summer rains there though is they usually don't last all day.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I prefer 80+ outdoors at any given time. I dont like major fluctuation like 85f in summer and below 32f in the winter. Cant have nice flowering landscape, ponds nice plants, gardens and there are no nights sitting on the swing in the screened lanai when it goes below 70 outdoors Below 50f outside, my heating system gets put on. You may enjoy trudging through a foot of more of snow to get your mail, like shoveling out the driveway to get to work and negotiating ice covered roads and sidewalks while wearing layers of heavy clothing, ear muffs, gloves, scarfs, wool hats. I didnt.
You can use negativity to make any kind of weather sound bad. I can talk about how last year, in the fall, which is a normal place considered a cool and pleasant season, I had to sweat my butt off walking 30 minutes home from the bus stop in the afternoon. And if it rained, 30 minutes of soaked shoes and jeans. I can talk about mowing the lawn when it's about 90 degrees and full of skeeters. Or I could have a more positive outlook and talk about fishing trips at a lake, swimming at the pool, family trips at the beach, riding my bike under a green canopy of summer leaves. You choose to associate winter with trudging through snow to get your mail and shovelling your driveway? Fine. I'll keep associating it with peaceful walks, ice hockey, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing, Christmas time, snowball fights and baking pies.

This winter when we got snow I was out with my boyfriend in the woods climbing trees, walking on frozen puddles, sledding down the frozen hill, having a snowball fight and making a snowman. We even saw a deer in the forest, it was beautiful! It's okay if you prefer summer and heat, but if you're gonna associate having seasons as a burden, then it's not the snow it's your outlook!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You can use negativity to make any kind of weather sound bad. I can talk about how last year, in the fall, which is a normal place considered a cool and pleasant season, I had to sweat my butt off walking 30 minutes home from the bus stop in the afternoon. And if it rained, 30 minutes of soaked shoes and jeans. I can talk about mowing the lawn when it's about 90 degrees and full of skeeters. Or I could have a more positive outlook and talk about fishing trips at a lake, swimming at the pool, family trips at the beach, riding my bike under a green canopy of summer leaves. You choose to associate winter with trudging through snow to get your mail and shovelling your driveway? Fine. I'll keep associating it with peaceful walks, ice hockey, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing, Christmas time, snowball fights and baking pies.

This winter when we got snow I was out with my boyfriend in the woods climbing trees, walking on frozen puddles, sledding down the frozen hill, having a snowball fight and making a snowman. We even saw a deer in the forest, it was beautiful! It's okay if you prefer summer and heat, but if you're gonna associate having seasons as a burden, then it's not the snow it's your outlook!
A lot depends on where you are experiencing the weather. I grew up in New York City and winter time there is not very pleasant. Instead of walking on frozen puddles people there are slipping and falling on ice covered sidewalks, leaving their cars buried in the snow as shoveling it out and loosing the parking spot is horrible. We didnt do too much sledding.

Your description if winter is quite idyllic. No driving on icy roads, no standing outside in below freezing temperatures waiting for the bus that takes you to the train station where you again stand outside in the bittter cold waiting for an unheated subway train. You don't mention lugging groceries from the supermarket while trying to navigate the deep slush that is on each corner because the sewer grates
are iced over. You dont mention the lack of heat where you turn on your gas stove and 4 burners
to warm your apartment enough to take a morning shower. You dont mention buses that stop running because they cant get through the streets causing you to walk 15, 20 blocks in the bitter cold to get home after getting off the subway. Yeah. It was a burden.

Diary Of Our First Northern Winter

December 8
It started to snow. The first real snow of the season and Cat and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drifting down. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled snow for the first time and felt like a kid again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor, Bob, tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible! Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbour.
December 14

Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.

December 17
20 inches forecast. Sold my car and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for Cat's van and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. Cat wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. Ha, I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all!

December 18
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. Cat laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 21
Still way below freezing, was -31 this morning! Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at Cat and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 23
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn freezing white stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbors kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around that was open to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March! I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 25
Merry -@!!*$...***- Christmas! Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today snow is packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the S.O.B. who drives that snowplow I'll drag him through the snow by his !!@*** and beat him with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight Cat wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and the kids and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 27
Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts?!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 30
10 more inches of the damn white @@!!"** fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to poop. By the time I got undressed, pooped and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the jerk is lying.

December 31
20 more inches of the damn slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. Cat says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "The Sound of Music" on TV one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

January 2
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

January 3
Temperature dropped to -35 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400.00 to replace all my pipes.

January 5
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The OLD BAG is driving me crazy!!!

January 7
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

January 10
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver he is now suing me for a million dollars not only for the beating I gave him but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his butt. Cat went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

January 11
Thats it it's so cold and I have REALLY had enough of damn white @%&*!!. I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling!!!! Yipeeeee

Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Well I spent my winter in a small city (December to January, got more freezing rain than any actual snow, I prefer snow) and then in a very small rural town from late January on. The last of the snow melted in March) The coldest it got in San Angelo was one night it dropped to the teens. Never had a problem with it being cold inside. In fact, many times it was too hot inside. (We had a space heater in the living room) Regarding driving on ice, I haven't driven on ice yet, but my boyfriend's pretty good at it. I have an aunt who moved from Florida to Nebraska, she never saw snow before in all her 30something years before moving there. She learnt to drive in the snow and ice there pretty fast. It is a bit of a burden, but if you're a good enough driver you can manage. Millions of people drive on icy roads each winter around the world. Though it is true here in Texas no one can do it except a select few haha.

Your experiences of winter are a big city experience. Big cities will always be different than more rural or suburban areas. I can tell you waiting for the bus in Miami in the stifling heat is not exactly the same as laying on a hammock on a beach between two coconut trees either. I've taken morning showers before in the winter in Tennessee while there was snow outside everywhere. Wasn't a big deal. The water warmed up pretty fast, and even then, morning showers are not something I do every day. But I will say it feels so nice to get out of a warm shower and look out the window to a wintry scene Pretty cozy!

The things you complain about winter, can be attributed to summer too, if you're going to be pessimistic about it. New York City on an August day that's in the mid 90s doesn't exactly sound very comfortable, especially with all those crowds. Question: What do you actually do in Florida to enjoy the heat? Obviously if you live in New York City you won't have as much access to the outdoors as you would in a small town or in a less dense city like Denver. A lot of the complains you have are complains about New York, just with winter added. But hey, different strokes for different folks. My best friend lives in Miami, he was born in Colombia. He's actually moving to NYC next year. He got a great internship doing what he loves (photography) and he visited this spring for the first time. He saw snow there (also for the first time) and loved everything about it. He commented how the heat in Miami is so exhausting and he felt better being in the snow in New York. My cousin, the son of my aunt who moved to Nebraska, used to consider 50 cold but after living in Nebraska he ended up loving the snow and says Florida's weather is like hell.

Really, your outlook makes a difference. Fall is my favourite season, and I think a fall in New York sounds amazing. You don't get fall in Florida. Maybe if you grew up being more outdoorsy you'd have liked seasons better. I'm very outdoorsy which is why I need to be immersed by a variation in nature. The same old same old bores me. I'm also big on the holidays, sue me!

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-11-2015 at 04:49 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
-----
Well I spent my winter in a small city (December to January, got more freezing rain than any actual snow, I prefer snow) and then in a very small rural town from late January on. The last of the snow melted in March) The coldest it got in San Angelo was one night it dropped to the teens. Never had a problem with it being cold inside. In fact, many times it was too hot inside. (We had a space heater in the living room) Regarding driving on ice, I haven't driven on ice yet, but my boyfriend's pretty good at it. I have an aunt who moved from Florida to Nebraska, she never saw snow before in all her 30something years before moving there. She learnt to drive in the snow and ice there pretty fast. It is a bit of a burden, but if you're a good enough driver you can manage. Millions of people drive on icy roads each winter around the world. Though it is true here in Texas no one can do it except a select few haha.

Your experiences of winter are a big city experience. Big cities will always be different than more rural or suburban areas. I can tell you waiting for the bus in Miami in the stifling heat is not exactly the same as laying on a hammock on a beach between two coconut trees either. I've taken morning showers before in the winter in Tennessee while there was snow outside everywhere. Wasn't a big deal. The water warmed up pretty fast, and even then, morning showers are not something I do every day. But I will say it feels so nice to get out of a warm shower and look out the window to a wintry scene Pretty cozy!

The things you complain about winter, can be attributed to summer too, if you're going to be pessimistic about it. New York City on an August day that's in the mid 90s doesn't exactly sound very comfortable, especially with all those crowds. Question: What do you actually do in Florida to enjoy the heat? Obviously if you live in New York City you won't have as much access to the outdoors as you would in a small town or in a less dense city like Denver. A lot of the complains you have are complains about New York, just with winter added. But hey, different strokes for different folks. My best friend lives in Miami, he was born in Colombia. He's actually moving to NYC next year. He got a great internship doing what he loves (photography) and he visited this spring for the first time. He saw snow there (also for the first time) and loved everything about it. He commented how the heat in Miami is so exhausting and he felt better being in the snow in New York. My cousin, the son of my aunt who moved to Nebraska, used to consider 50 cold but after living in Nebraska he ended up loving the snow and says Florida's weather is like hell.

Really, your outlook makes a difference. Fall is my favourite season, and I think a fall in New York sounds amazing. You don't get fall in Florida. Maybe if you grew up being more outdoorsy you'd have liked seasons better. I'm very outdoorsy which is why I need to be immersed by a variation in nature. The same old same old bores me. I'm also big on the holidays, sue me![/quote] Autumn in NY is amazing...I think there is an old song to that effect...but unfortunately it's usually so darn short...I went to a wedding in mid October about 8 years ago...bought sweaters and it was 83...and then it can also get freezing cold...you get about 10 beautiful fall days on average(totally unscientific)...

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-11-2015 at 04:51 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 10:04 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
I didn't move because of the climate, I had other reasons, but, I moved from Tampa to the so called middle ground mild climate of NC and not long after I moved myself right back to FL. I remember when I had visited and they had snow, my daugher and other of her family told me it was just a fluke, so, I agreed to move there. After two long very cold wintery seasons and knee deep snow on several occasions no less. I missed the mostly year round hot weather, not saying I love sweltering temps, but, I'll take it over the cold any day, I'll especially take it over even a hint of snow. This past year as far as I'm concerned has been really great weather wise in spite of the 90+ temps and rain here and there. Now the pizza, that's a different subject.

Having said all of that, given a good reason, I may cash in all chips and move to an area with a brisk seasonal climate variation, but, overall, I don't miss the changes much.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
so, does Abilene have four seasons?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:28 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I didn't move because of the climate, I had other reasons, but, I moved from Tampa to the so called middle ground mild climate of NC and not long after I moved myself right back to FL. I remember when I had visited and they had snow, my daugher and other of her family told me it was just a fluke, so, I agreed to move there. After two long very cold wintery seasons and knee deep snow on several occasions no less. I missed the mostly year round hot weather, not saying I love sweltering temps, but, I'll take it over the cold any day, I'll especially take it over even a hint of snow. This past year as far as I'm concerned has been really great weather wise in spite of the 90+ temps and rain here and there. Now the pizza, that's a different subject.

Having said all of that, given a good reason, I may cash in all chips and move to an area with a brisk seasonal climate variation, but, overall, I don't miss the changes much.

What part of NC and what year was this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay