Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 08:03 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
What part of NC and what year was this?
Greenville, it snowed on my visit in 2008 moved there in early 2009 left before beginning the next 2010 winter. I don't have pictures of the knee deep snow, but I do have a couple of pictures of a snow
day there. I have to search my files to find them.

Oh and I threw one in of me on the infamous beach of where a number of the shark attacks have been taking place over on Ocracoke beach. Fun vacation place btw. I did enjoy my time in and around NC, just not so much the winters, but, I do miss some of the great people I met there.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss the seasons or get tired of year round summer?-trosa-greenville-nc.jpg   Do you miss the seasons or get tired of year round summer?-rosas-ocracoke-beach-fall-2009.jpg   Do you miss the seasons or get tired of year round summer?-rosal-greenville-nc-2009.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 AM

135 posts, read 207,873 times
I grew up in South Florida but had a military career and got to live all around with the Air Force. Definite, equally spaced out seasons you'll find around North Carolina, but being east coast it is a lot damper which means gloomier days during the colder months. Las Vegas is ideal for equal seasons and bright days....if you can handle the heat of June, July and August. There is no snow to shovel, but it's up above you in the circle of mountains if you want it. Now living in Germany I think is probably like living close to the Canadian border here. Mostly cold, with a short quick summer where it seems the whole world is outside and on vacation. Living in Florida I miss Spring most of all. Nothing beats watching the rebird of the earth after it's winter sleep

Old 07-11-2015, 09:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Unless you have actually experienced a few winters in the Northeast - living it - you could not understand the situation. The suburbs were not much better. Commuting into the city from the burb's could become a trying experience only magnified once you get into the city. Fall in NYC is dreary. Bare tress, brown grass, overcast skies and the feel that winter is coming.

I have family that has lived in Maine for the past 30 some odd years and they love it. I have a cousin in Buffalo NY and they love it too. There you can wake up one morning, open the front door only to see a wall of snow blocking your way. Winter is great for a lot of people, but not me.

Growing up in the asphalt jungle kept us outside all the time. Nobody wanted to be home. Stickball, skully tournaments (Google that one), basketball, softball in the schoolyard, going to Coney Island, Brighton Beach, riding the subways or just hanging out with the friends were typical summer activities as kids. It pares down a lot when you grow up though.

It is true that NYC on an August day is no bargain either. When you come up the stairs from the stifling subway station you look around and cant see above the 50th floor of most buildings.

Spring in NYC is usually nice, weather wise. The temperatures are mild, the leaves are returning to the trees, lawns green up. Too bad it doesn't last long enough. Fall in NYC is dreary. Bare tress, brown grass, overcast skies and the feel that winter is coming.

Here in FL in the summer, on my days off I am outdoors a lot. I am out there mowing, trimming and keeping the landscape in order in the morning. Then it becomes too hot for laborious tasks. Anytime of the year we may take a bike ride up and down the Suncoast Expressway bike path, get to the beach, go for a walk or bike ride in the Weeki Wachee preserve, take the guns up to the Hernando Sportsman's Club in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area and shoot skeet or target practice, go out into the woods on foot or bike to see the wildlife there. There are several unique areas out there. Flatwoods, sandhills, cypress domes and scrub habitats, even a swamp. I dont hunt to kill, but you can do that there if you want. Feral hogs, deer, game birds are there. The Weeki Wachee River is nice to spend a few hours in a canoe, there is also the Withlacoochee River for that. Fishing the rivers is a nice way to relax too. We go down to Jenkins Creek where they is a fishing pier and throw cages out to catch Blue crabs. We visit the organized flea markets in Homosassa and Brooksville. We can do all that without the snow and freezing weather hindering us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well I spent my winter in a small city (December to January, got more freezing rain than any actual snow, I prefer snow) and then in a very small rural town from late January on. The last of the snow melted in March) The coldest it got in San Angelo was one night it dropped to the teens. Never had a problem with it being cold inside. In fact, many times it was too hot inside. (We had a space heater in the living room) Regarding driving on ice, I haven't driven on ice yet, but my boyfriend's pretty good at it. I have an aunt who moved from Florida to Nebraska, she never saw snow before in all her 30something years before moving there. She learnt to drive in the snow and ice there pretty fast. It is a bit of a burden, but if you're a good enough driver you can manage. Millions of people drive on icy roads each winter around the world. Though it is true here in Texas no one can do it except a select few haha.

Your experiences of winter are a big city experience. Big cities will always be different than more rural or suburban areas. I can tell you waiting for the bus in Miami in the stifling heat is not exactly the same as laying on a hammock on a beach between two coconut trees either. I've taken morning showers before in the winter in Tennessee while there was snow outside everywhere. Wasn't a big deal. The water warmed up pretty fast, and even then, morning showers are not something I do every day. But I will say it feels so nice to get out of a warm shower and look out the window to a wintry scene Pretty cozy!

The things you complain about winter, can be attributed to summer too, if you're going to be pessimistic about it. New York City on an August day that's in the mid 90s doesn't exactly sound very comfortable, especially with all those crowds. Question: What do you actually do in Florida to enjoy the heat? Obviously if you live in New York City you won't have as much access to the outdoors as you would in a small town or in a less dense city like Denver. A lot of the complains you have are complains about New York, just with winter added. But hey, different strokes for different folks. My best friend lives in Miami, he was born in Colombia. He's actually moving to NYC next year. He got a great internship doing what he loves (photography) and he visited this spring for the first time. He saw snow there (also for the first time) and loved everything about it. He commented how the heat in Miami is so exhausting and he felt better being in the snow in New York. My cousin, the son of my aunt who moved to Nebraska, used to consider 50 cold but after living in Nebraska he ended up loving the snow and says Florida's weather is like hell.

Really, your outlook makes a difference. Fall is my favourite season, and I think a fall in New York sounds amazing. You don't get fall in Florida. Maybe if you grew up being more outdoorsy you'd have liked seasons better. I'm very outdoorsy which is why I need to be immersed by a variation in nature. The same old same old bores me. I'm also big on the holidays, sue me!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:31 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,935,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Greenville, it snowed on my visit in 2008 moved there in early 2009 left before beginning the next 2010 winter. I don't have pictures of the knee deep snow, but I do have a couple of pictures of a snow
day there. I have to search my files to find them.

Oh and I threw one in of me on the infamous beach of where a number of the shark attacks have been taking place over on Ocracoke beach. Fun vacation place btw. I did enjoy my time in and around NC, just not so much the winters, but, I do miss some of the great people I met there.

Interesting, I remember the snow in 2010. We got like 10" in Asheville. Didn't see snow in Asheville again - other than a dusting - in like 3 yrs - we LOVED it. Wish it happened more than once in 3 yrs time.

I'm so surprised that you get the exact same amount of snow on the coast as ew did in the mountains. That's interesting!

New Smyrna Bch is the shark bite capitol of the world.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
so, does Abilene have four seasons?
I am only spending the summer in Abilene, I go to Denton when I start school. But I went to school in Cisco this past winter and spring. The Abilene area does experience 4 seasons, just the winter is not as cold as up north, but it exists.

Late February we got plenty of accumulating snow. There were blizzard conditions briefly one morning. I didn't measure but I reckon at the most the snow topped around 4 or 5 inches in deeper spots. The snow melted in March and you can see as the weeks went by the spring season changing. In late March leaves would start to appear as would flowers. I noticed in early March as the snow melted the grass turned a gorgeous green, when it had been brown in the winter. Spring weather came as early as possible, when up north the beginning of March is still very wintry. April was very pleasant, a mix of rain and sun. Temperatures mostly in the 50s at night and 70s at day. We had one last chilly 39 degree morning in late April. Very comfortable. Even May was nice as the heat didn't really peak into the 90s until the middle to end of May. We did get lots of hail and even a deadly tornado which killed one in Cisco.

I visited Cisco last year in November, so I experience a week of fall. The leaves on some trees were red and orange and most days were in the 60s to 40s. We got a cold snap which brought it down to highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s. A week after I left, still in November, it snowed. Texas may be far south but it still gets the chill of the other seasons on account of the great plains which carry cold air from Canada.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Unless you have actually experienced a few winters in the Northeast - living it - you could not understand the situation. The suburbs were not much better. Commuting into the city from the burb's could become a trying experience only magnified once you get into the city. Fall in NYC is dreary. Bare tress, brown grass, overcast skies and the feel that winter is coming.

I have family that has lived in Maine for the past 30 some odd years and they love it. I have a cousin in Buffalo NY and they love it too. There you can wake up one morning, open the front door only to see a wall of snow blocking your way. Winter is great for a lot of people, but not me.

Growing up in the asphalt jungle kept us outside all the time. Nobody wanted to be home. Stickball, skully tournaments (Google that one), basketball, softball in the schoolyard, going to Coney Island, Brighton Beach, riding the subways or just hanging out with the friends were typical summer activities as kids. It pares down a lot when you grow up though.

It is true that NYC on an August day is no bargain either. When you come up the stairs from the stifling subway station you look around and cant see above the 50th floor of most buildings.

Spring in NYC is usually nice, weather wise. The temperatures are mild, the leaves are returning to the trees, lawns green up. Too bad it doesn't last long enough. Fall in NYC is dreary. Bare tress, brown grass, overcast skies and the feel that winter is coming.

Here in FL in the summer, on my days off I am outdoors a lot. I am out there mowing, trimming and keeping the landscape in order in the morning. Then it becomes too hot for laborious tasks. Anytime of the year we may take a bike ride up and down the Suncoast Expressway bike path, get to the beach, go for a walk or bike ride in the Weeki Wachee preserve, take the guns up to the Hernando Sportsman's Club in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area and shoot skeet or target practice, go out into the woods on foot or bike to see the wildlife there. There are several unique areas out there. Flatwoods, sandhills, cypress domes and scrub habitats, even a swamp. I dont hunt to kill, but you can do that there if you want. Feral hogs, deer, game birds are there. The Weeki Wachee River is nice to spend a few hours in a canoe, there is also the Withlacoochee River for that. Fishing the rivers is a nice way to relax too. We go down to Jenkins Creek where they is a fishing pier and throw cages out to catch Blue crabs. We visit the organized flea markets in Homosassa and Brooksville. We can do all that without the snow and freezing weather hindering us.
I'm moving to Minnesota after college. It makes New York look like Atlanta :P I like it cold though, I love ice skating. People up north can do everything you do in Florida, they just wait for summer to do it. I prefer variety of seasons for variety of activities. There's lots of great stuff to do in Florida, and I'm excited to be there tomorrow as I make my drive across the gulf coast. But I found living there to be limiting in many other activities. A place like Minnesota offers a lot more out door recreation. People don't stay locked up all winter, many people go out and enjoy the landscape up there, more than in New York where it's hustle and bustle and no sleep.

Colorado also seems nice, but they get snow almost every season but summer. Sure if it snows in May there it lasts a few hours only, but that happens almost never in MN. It's crazy cold in winter but it's still more stable the rest of the year than the rockies haha.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I'm moving to Minnesota after college. It makes New York look like Atlanta :P I like it cold though, I love ice skating. People up north can do everything you do in Florida, they just wait for summer to do it. I prefer variety of seasons for variety of activities. There's lots of great stuff to do in Florida, and I'm excited to be there tomorrow as I make my drive across the gulf coast. But I found living there to be limiting in many other activities. A place like Minnesota offers a lot more out door recreation. People don't stay locked up all winter, many people go out and enjoy the landscape up there, more than in New York where it's hustle and bustle and no sleep.

Colorado also seems nice, but they get snow almost every season but summer. Sure if it snows in May there it lasts a few hours only, but that happens almost never in MN. It's crazy cold in winter but it's still more stable the rest of the year than the rockies haha.
If you like cold, I am sure Minnesota will satisfy your needs.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you like cold, I am sure Minnesota will satisfy your needs.
It sure will. But it's not just cold, it's being family friendly, affordable, safe, educated, polite. S. Florida lacks many of those things too. N. Florida at least still has some southern hospitality.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It sure will. But it's not just cold, it's being family friendly, affordable, safe, educated, polite. S. Florida lacks many of those things too. N. Florida at least still has some southern hospitality.
S FL lost it all a long time ago. Its just a mess of highways, huge density of people and a whole lot of discord.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 PM

388 posts, read 536,304 times
My fiance and I are Florida natives.
We're planning on moving north in a couple of years to get away from the constant heat.

I'm originally from Miami, so I am glad that Tampa has some cool weather in the winter, but we are both very tired of the constant heat.

We don't mind high heat in the summer as long as we get the other seasons. Some snow would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay