Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Our new contract has 187 days on it with a large paragraph in bold about furlough days. I swear I think they had added days that they intend to withdraw, but including them makes our salaries much higher than they will be if they drop 3 or 4 days. That will hurt. It's just another way to obfuscate the numbers in education.
That's a nasty little trick.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Our new contract has 187 days on it with a large paragraph in bold about furlough days. I swear I think they had added days that they intend to withdraw, but including them makes our salaries much higher than they will be if they drop 3 or 4 days. That will hurt. It's just another way to obfuscate the numbers in education.
The state giveth and the state taketh away. That just stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
That stinks.

Our contract is 194 days. I think we have a few less days than other districts in the area. I know of some in VA that have 200.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Of course, if I did have a 200 day contract I'd have an extra $2,500 in pay. Hmmmmmm....

Old 05-25-2014, 08:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Of course, if I did have a 200 day contract I'd have an extra $2,500 in pay. Hmmmmmm....
Or your district could do what my former district did a few years ago, added six teacher work days and did not change the yearly salary.
(it was in Wisconsin after the Teacher's Unions lost their "teeth")

Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Default Student asks Beauty Queen "Where did you steal that crown?"

I'm a beauty queen (albeit, a non-traditional, mature adult beauty queen). This morning I made an appearance at an elementary school in a classroom where I know all of the children quite well. I was wearing my crown and sash and was just about to start reading a story to the class when one of my former students joined the group. The second grader started out by commenting, "Ms. G, that is a huge crown! It is very beautiful!", I smiled and thanked him. A second later, he asked (very seriously) "Where did you steal it?"

Hmmm, I really didn't know what to say except the truth, "I did not steal this crown. I was the winner in a beauty contest." He stared at me with doubt in his eyes. Perhaps, he just doesn't picture me as a beauty queen.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-27-2014 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 PM

It must be the last week of school? Do you want to know how I know? I know by the line of students wanting to make up/retake tests and quizzes and asking if I'll take late work from 3 months ago.... Seriously, if you cared one tenth as much about your grade all semester long we would not be having this conversation.

I just had a girl leave in tears becuse I told her she can't retake tests from three months ago when she was sick. She came in saying "Remember when you told me I could retake these tests because I was sick?". That was THREE MONTHS AGO. Yes, I gave you an extension THREE MONTHS AGO but I never said I'd be ready to let you take and grade 2 extra tests, literally, the last day of the semester.

This drives me nuts. Don't care about that zero for months but NOW it has to be taken care of. The kids who never took tests and quizzes I have to accomodate but I am not accomodating not bothering to arrange a retake in a timely manner because now you realize you don't want a D in the class.

I just needed to vent. Tomorrow is the end of the semester and it's been non stop kids asking for retakes or wanting to make up missed work starting YESTERDAY. The Wednesday of the LAST week of the semester. Seriously? You just figured out you're missing a quiz from January. They're in panic mode. The semester is ending and they need to fix their grades. Sorry. Learn a life lesson. Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Only 14 more days of school!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Only 14 more days of school!
Only 4 more days of school...I guess I'd better start working on that pile I have to grade. Next Friday is the deadline to have all grades in.

Has anyone seen the grading fairy? I keep leaving milk and cookies out but she's just not coming around...

And I had MORE requests for retests today....you know the LAST day of the semester before finals!!! One student came up and asked if I had her retake test. I asked what test she was talking about. Her answer? "The one I was supposed to take after school but I didn't come"....and I got emails from two parents inquiring as to what their child can do to pull up their grade. Um, the ship has sailed????

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Only 4 more days of school...I guess I'd better start working on that pile I have to grade. Next Friday is the deadline to have all grades in.

Has anyone seen the grading fairy? I keep leaving milk and cookies out but she's just not coming around...

And I had MORE requests for retests today....you know the LAST day of the semester before finals!!! One student came up and asked if I had her retake test. I asked what test she was talking about. Her answer? "The one I was supposed to take after school but I didn't come"....and I got emails from two parents inquiring as to what their child can do to pull up their grade. Um, the ship has sailed????
We had students working on credit recovery and coursework up until a few hours before graduation. It's hard to find a balance between giving a second chance and having no standards whatsoever. There is a lot of pressure to allow students every possible chance to pass so that the school's graduation rate will remain high. There is almost no pressure to get A's, although I'm aware that some grade-changing went on that affected our top ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching