Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:04 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
The feathery plants are pampas grass, while the bird (terrific shot, BTW!) is a great blue heron.
Thank you. The pampas grass is near a restaurant parking lot on the lake. I don't think I've see it anyplace else so I thought the restaurant planted it.

I got a great shot of this heron (thought it was a crane ) with it's wings spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Thumbs up Thank you so much for the photos, LauraC.

Wow, fabulous photos. I love the quiet peaceful lake shots. The water fowl make them oh, so special! Wish the forum would let me plant another rep point in your garden, but...

We lived on an island at the mouth of Lake Erie for 16 years and became so accustomed to the blue heron, egrets and other water fowl that we didn't have proper appreciation for how beautiful and fascinating they truly are. Just beautiful.

We also had more than our fill of Canada Geese. They are a beautiful bird, but so invasive once they find a feeding ground that they truly become pests. I wish people would stop feeding them bread and such, so that we could love them once again rather than try to find ways to shoo them away.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
We also had more than our fill of Canada Geese. They are a beautiful bird, but so invasive once they find a feeding ground that they truly become pests. I wish people would stop feeding them bread and such, so that we could love them once again rather than try to find ways to shoo them away.
When I lived on Long Island I lived in an apartment complex on a golf course which I'm mentioning (I don't golf) because there were golf ponds on the course. The Canadian geese used to stop off at the ponds on their way down South, eat all of the berries on the bushes and then poop liquid purple all over my car. UGH!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Wink That is so funny, LauraC. We can identify 100%.

For a creature that looks so majestic, they do poop one heck of a bunch, LauraC.

We used to carry two towels on our golf bags. One to clean the mud and grass off our clubs and golf balls, the other to clean the Canada goose poo off of everything!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Lovely! Did you take all of your photos through the car window? Your sky is so nice and blue! Every time I head out we're having one of those grey or white sky days, it seems.

I think the leaves will drop off next week.
Yes, sorry, some of them were through the windshield, and some times I am able to be stopped and shoot through the open window, but very rarely do I have to opportunity to stop, get out an take pictures, I always seem to be up against the clock to get here or there. I sure miss the days of 9-5 at the office LOL!, But hey, I love my job, I get to help people so it is a nice trade off and being in the office all day is boring. hahahahaha. We are very lucky to have a lot of days where the sky is SOOO blue here, I love it.
Sometimes I loose some really nice pictures due to the car moving or sun glare off the windshield....see.

Oh, and y'all have been talking about cameras and such, I have a weird thing that is happening with my camera and I can't quite figure it out, I would love some input if anyone has had this happen. Every once in a while I have a picture that doesn't fully upload from the camera, it does this funky half picture and the rest, the bottom, is all blurred out with pink or blue. It looks fine in the viewer on the camera, but when I upload you can only see half.
Any thoughts? And yes, good fresh batteries, no different settings for these shoots.
Well, shoot, they won't even upload to photo bucket. Something is so wrong and they are GREAT shots!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
The feathery plants are pampas grass, while the bird (terrific shot, BTW!) is a great blue heron.
That is a good shot; good enough to be in a magzine.

We have quite a few blue herons around the Nashville area. They even hang out at the lakes and pools at the office park where I work.

We also have way too many Canadian geese.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Those are what's called Burning Bushes, I believe (I can't be sure). They're a pretty ordinary looking shrub except in fall when they turn red.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 AM

75 posts, read 307,512 times
Talking The eye-candy!!

Thanks, Laura C. and MBmouse, for the great pics! Will check out the instructions for posting pics, thanks LauraC for posting the link. We have kids coming in Tuesday from CA -- sure hope some of the color lasts just a teensy-bit longer!!

Absolutely loved the fantastic pic of the great blue herron!! What kind of lens do you use that affords that close of view?? We have a couple of these beautiful guys that seem to live at the Clinch River (our back "yard")...love watching them fly -- seems like they simply shouldn't be able to be so graceful and all...

Old 11-18-2007, 09:12 AM

203 posts, read 766,324 times
More pictures, more pictures, more pictures....pleeeeeaaaassseee......

We can't get out until early next year (supposed to be January but may have to put it off due to father's illness). I so LOVE seeing all the pictures. LauraC, you are a tremendous photographer! You too, mbmouse! And JMT, you pics have me chompin at the bit to get to Cookeville.

Thanks to all of you and keep those beautiful pictures coming!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasMatters View Post
Absolutely loved the fantastic pic of the great blue herron!! What kind of lens do you use that affords that close of view?? ...
Here's what happened. The first day I went to Melton Hill Lake after we had the storm, I noticed a tree with part of it sticking out floating by not too far from shore. That day (Thursday) was cold, very very windy, very grey. That's the same day some who post here saw snowflakes and the day I took the first 9 photos posted. I watched that dead tree float into the shoreline and get stuck (all but the part you see is underwater). I was thinking it would be nice if some duck sat down on it (because my assignment for my next class has to do with composition) but that didn't happen. So the next day when it was sunny, I spotted the floating log near the shore, in the distance, but couldn't tell if it was a piece of wood sticking up or a bird. I kept walking closer and closer to it taking photos, thinking if it is a bird and I scare it off, maybe I can enlarge the photo with my PC. But as I got closer I saw it was a heron (only I called it a crane...) and I was able to take the photo with the plain old optical zoom in the camera because the bird was only about 3 - 5 feet from the shore. The photo gives the illusion that it's farther out. So, I didn't use anything special. It's a 10x optical zoom built into the camera (didn't use the digital zoom, just the optical zoom), Kodak camera set on Auto everything and I took about 40 photos of that scene and have maybe 10 that I like. I may send one to the local paper that prints beginner photos of things in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee