Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,379 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming that most people planning to re-locate to Tennesse are country music lovers Mabe not!! If you are what kind of country music is your favorite? Classic or New Country? Who are your favorite performers? Favorite songs etc. Would like to hear from native Tennesseans as well. I have always been a country music fan, as well as blues and rock. I've come far far away from rock cause there's nothing good going on there. I'm a fan of New Country due to its resemblence to what we called southern rock a few years back and it's about real people doing real things in the real world and I'm a real world kinda person. So let's hear it. What are your opinions concerning country music Tennesse? (including future Tennesseeans).

Last edited by northcountrygirl; 04-20-2007 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Personally, I am rather eclectic when it comes to music. Not because I prefer some kind of obscure music, but because I love ALL kinds of music, except rap and opera. I do like a lot of country music, I like the "oldies": John Denver, Johnny Cash, Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys, etc. I also like the new folks, Carry Underwood, Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, etc.
I also like Blue Grass which is very handy here as just about every festival that goes on in this area has at least one Blue Grass band and clogers. Actually there are several Blue grass fest that happen several times a year, one of my favorites is the Blue Plum Fest that is every summer in Johnson City. They close off two downtown streets and put up stages and have Blue Grass bands playing about all day and night for two days. Lots of fun.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 AM

243 posts, read 887,427 times
Talking Music

My favorite country music is that of the '70's. Charlie Rich, Eddie Rabbit, Kenny Rogers, Charlie Daniels Band, Oak Ridge Boys etc. But let there be no mistake, Johnny Cash is my favorite by all means.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
I like the popular country stars in the scene now but i can listen to just about anything depending on my mood. My music tends to follow what my mood is at the time.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
I like a variety of music, from classical to country to rock, although I don't care for rap at all.

There is a commercial aspect to all popular music today, but I prefer the musicians and singers and groups who still try to make good music as well as become commercial successes.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks for your responses. I asked because I think that music is a big part of our culture and if you are moving to Tennesse and you're a heavy metal freak or a rap lover and you move to small country town and not a city you might be unhappy. I also love different kinds of music, depending on my mood. Right now my favorite is New Country. My kids even have me hooked to an I-Pod (that's right, I have an I-Pod full of country music). I can tell ya it sure helps you get through the day at work. I've also noticed that after awhile I wasn't the only one here attached to one. My co-workers refet to my head phones as "Earrings" cause I'm wearing them all the time. They also come in handy in case you don't want to hear someone. Well I'm rambling again. I just think that country music best relates to the kind of person I am. Also because when I'm playing Brad Paisley's "Tick", or Tobey Keith's "Maintenance Man". I'm smiling. Not too many other venues make me smile these days.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Frankly, All I do is listen to WDVX which plays regional, alt-country, bluegrass, and intrumental music. I like SOME new country but can't stand some of the songs that border on the line of being silly and meaningless. I will admit that I think TN has a great thing going on in terms of having a rather cool character. It's the home to nashville and country music not to mention Memphis. That's better than say- Ohio. I was sitting and watching the CMT awards last night. It wasn't as flashy as the awards they have in LA, but for a smaller city, I'd say Nashville has it's own share of coolness factor. I was quite proud.Made me homesick. Stupid California.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:20 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
One thing about Nashville, you will occasionally run into one of the country stars (I know a couple myself), or sometimes a rock or Hollywood star. The locals for the most part leave them alone; however, they are approachable if someone is polite and don't intrude upon their privacy at the wrong time. There are even a few restaurants where "the stars" are known to frequent.

My dad was a big country music fan and when I was little (in the 60s) we often went to see the shows. It was nothing in those days to talk to the performers before or afterwards. They were "just people". I think I got my hair tossled by Earl Scruggs one time . . . at the opening of a tire store where Flatt & Scruggs were hired to put on a show. I "met" a lot of the old-timers.

Things are a little different these days, but most of the stars still try to be friendly to their fans.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
One thing about Nashville, you will occasionally run into one of the country stars (I know a couple myself), or sometimes a rock or Hollywood star. The locals for the most part leave them alone; however, they are approachable if someone is polite and don't intrude upon their privacy at the wrong time. There are even a few restaurants where "the stars" are known to frequent.

My dad was a big country music fan and when I was little (in the 60s) we often went to see the shows. It was nothing in those days to talk to the performers before or afterwards. They were "just people". I think I got my hair tossled by Earl Scruggs one time . . . at the opening of a tire store where Flatt & Scruggs were hired to put on a show. I "met" a lot of the old-timers.

Things are a little different these days, but most of the stars still try to be friendly to their fans.
I watched the big country music festival they have in Nashville evey year and they were airing last years and I was overwhelmed by the things that the country stars did for their fans. Like K. Chesney flying two of his fans in his private jet etc. There is a major difference in country and rock stars. When was the last time you saw a rock star doing anything for a fan??? One of the many reasons I love country music.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:49 AM

117 posts, read 488,401 times
I am not a big country music fan, however I will have my sirius satalite radio on at all times, therefore getting any type of music 24/7 (including elvis)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee