Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverrelo View Post
Have to agree w/bbkaren. We are in Denver, looking to move to Maryville due to reduced cost of living. Not only is our produce high, but very poor quality unless in season (for a week!). We lived in Ann Arbor while my husband was in law school (15 yrs. ago) and it was our first experience w/high housing costs.

It's all relative! If we make this move, we might be able to pay cash for a house since our housing market here is ridiculous, as well as our property taxes. I know it would be culture shock, but one I need to start breathing again!

Good luck - you will find your peace eventually!

Hi denverrelo,

I want to wish you the best in your move to Maryville. During my visit to Tennessee last month, my cousin who lives in Knoxville told me that the natives of Maryville do not pronounce "Maryville" the way it is spelled. Now, I can't remember how she said it is pronounced, but I'm sure you will quickly find out.

Congratulations! I wish I could move now as well, but I've got several years to wait.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Hi denverrelo,

I want to wish you the best in your move to Maryville. During my visit to Tennessee last month, my cousin who lives in Knoxville told me that the natives of Maryville do not pronounce "Maryville" the way it is spelled. Now, I can't remember how she said it is pronounced, but I'm sure you will quickly find out.

Congratulations! I wish I could move now as well, but I've got several years to wait.
Just got back from a trip there my Aunt-in-law(?) (My wifes Aunt) says you just drop the y so it is "Marville" and you will say it correctly.

I was not overly impressed with the area at first but it quickly grew on me. So it it is one of the places we are looking to move, I am going back in Jan/Feb to get a taste of winter.

Getting use to the smokey skies will take some getting use too also being from FL.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
Just got back from a trip there my Aunt-in-law(?) (My wifes Aunt) says you just drop the y so it is "Marville" and you will say it correctly.
That's true; that's how most people say it. Some people also call it "Maraville" or "Murville," but I don't think I've ever heard a local say "Maryville," like it's spelled!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Yep, When we were there, people said "murvulle"

Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times
We just got back from our visit last week and we thought that the rural area around Maryville was just lovely. We took, I think, 441 from Pigeon Forge area through Maryville to Lenoir City and we thought the housing and yards were so pretty. And you are so close to the Smokies there, just a few minutes down the road! We are planning to move to the Tellico Lake area in the next 2 years, as soon as we can retire from our government jobs.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:41 PM

20 posts, read 60,806 times
it is a better super wal-mart

Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 PM

20 posts, read 60,806 times
JMT , amyevansmom should be thankful she even got out of MI I moved from there to FL and after 5 years I can't wait to get to TN . I have been doing my homework if she thinks food is $$$$ there come to FL . it is crazy micky mouse is in expensive mouse to feed. but also in her favor everyone who knows what meijers is misses it when you dont' have one wal-mart dont even compare.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
It's pronounced Marevul = (Maryville)

Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I should be more sympathetic, but didn't you research that BEFORE you decided to move? Didn't you look at housing prices first? Didn't you try to look at housing possibilities around Gatlinburg before actually accepting the job? Why were you surprized that there's no Meijer down here? Didn't you come down here before actually making the decision to move? I guess I just don't understand how you could accept a job somewhere without investigating the area more thoroughly first.

I also think it's not very fair to compare prices in an economically depressed place as Michigan with prices in a booming resort town in the mountains. I have never paid $3.99/lb for tomatoes and have never seen that anywhere around here in Knoxville unless they're organic. And with the abundance of Grainger County tomatoes in the summer, my goodness you can't swing a dead cat around here in the summer without hitting a tomato stand along the highway. But Gatlinburg isn't designed for things like that, and the vast majority of people who go to Gatlinburg aren't looking for local produce, either.

Anyway, I'm sorry that your experience down here hasn't been better, but I do think most of that could've been solved had you done your homework before moving here in the first place.
I totally concur with this response. I'm sorry, too, but it sounds like this person's complaints are somewhat petty.
No offense to Michigan, but from all that I've read, the economy and housing market is completely in the dumps. Tennessee, on the other hand, is a booming market in the majority of the state. One would expect prices to be a bit higher in a booming market. Also, as stated, Gatlinburg is a super tourist area, and things in general are more expensive than a smaller TN town.
You should have done some more research, imho.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It's pronounced Marevul = (Maryville)
It's actually pronounced several different ways now with all of the influx of people that have moved here; it's always spelled the same though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee