Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 PM

216 posts, read 444,501 times

Advertisements

No, that doesn't. But if Tyler's populace were voting in democratic and more liberal representatives and leaders like Dallas, then yes, you would be.

And I don't understand why it would matter if part of Dallas's liberal turn would be in part because of minorities. Is it the 19th century? Do their votes not count as much as my white vote? Let's not paint every black and Hispanic person with such a broad brush either now. A lot of Hispanics are actually socially conservative. The fact of the matter is that Dallas has taken a big liberal turn in the past decade regardless of race. And that's happened for many of the reasons that Sandstorm listed, whose post you conveniently ignored while you're hung up on this Bill White thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Not only that but Dallas has extreme far left pockets and pockets of independents (i.e., people who do their own thing).

The way people vote isn't really indicative of the culture. Dallas's culture is very liberal in too many areas for it to be seen as conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
If anything, Dallas is now the opposite of what you said--a more liberal city with "pockets" of conservatism.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I attended the Rolling Stones concert in American Airlines Arena in Downtown Dallas a few years ago - Mick Jagger made a derisive remark about George W. Bush and the crowd roared in agreement..

Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I attended the Rolling Stones concert in American Airlines Arena in Downtown Dallas a few years ago - Mick Jagger made a derisive remark about George W. Bush and the crowd roared in agreement..
That's pretty sad that a British "entertainer" can come to the US and make derogatory comments about our president, regardless of who he is.

If an American singer performed in England--and made snarky comments about the queen, you can be certain that he/she would have been roundly condemned for the lack of simple courtesy.

Singers should keep their political opinions to themselves and just perform.

Period.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I remember the whole Dixie Chicks thing where they insulted Bush on stage. They were from Dallas, werent they?

People can say what they want. It doesnt matter.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Yes, it does matter. If I am paying for a concert ticket, I do NOT want to hear their opinions on anything, period. The Dixie Chicks were no better, and neither was Linda Rondstadt.

I pay for music/singing, not political discourses.

Not that they'd ever say anything bad about BO....but the same applies. Keep your mouth shut unless you are going to sing.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:00 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,343 times
I too wish entertainers would just entertain. If they want to give political speeches, they have every right to do so, though. When you see a band like the Rolling Stones or Green Day, it's not really a surprise. It's certainly not good manners, and I'm always disappointed when I hear it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Not that they'd ever say anything bad about BO....but the same applies. Keep your mouth shut unless you are going to sing.
Huh. Well, Republican entertainers actually have no problem bashing President Obama. Funny how there is no outrage at all from conservatives when Andy Williams bashes President Obama to overseas media.

Andy Williams Bashes Obama ***On Foreign Soil*** : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

Pat Boone has engaged in similar bashing of the President. Again, no outrage from conservatives. I guess it's only offensive when Democratic entertainers bash Republicans and not so much the other way around.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If it makes you feel any better I didn't approve of Sir Paul's remarks about Bush - but he made them in the White House...

Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I too wish entertainers would just entertain. If they want to give political speeches, they have every right to do so, though. When you see a band like the Rolling Stones or Green Day, it's not really a surprise. It's certainly not good manners, and I'm always disappointed when I hear it happens.

Huh. Well, Republican entertainers actually have no problem bashing President Obama. Funny how there is no outrage at all from conservatives when Andy Williams bashes President Obama to overseas media.

Andy Williams Bashes Obama ***On Foreign Soil*** : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

Pat Boone has engaged in similar bashing of the President. Again, no outrage from conservatives. I guess it's only offensive when Democratic entertainers bash Republicans and not so much the other way around.
Did they bash him during a concert that people paid to attend?

I do NOT want to hear politics during a paid concert from EITHER side.

It IS bad manners and totally uncalled for.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Did they bash him during a concert that people paid to attend?
No, our President was bashed by Andy Williams to British media while Williams was overseas in a music magazine that people pay to read. Granted, I don't think anyone under 80 gives two hoots about what Andy Williams thinks about anything, but it's interesting how little outrage it caused for an act that is comparable to what the Dixie Chicks did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas