Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Just cores, mainly downtown and one or two other inner core neighborhoods -- which is what really defines a city. All Texas cities become certified suburbs and unwalkable once you get more than a few miles outside of downtown. I personally don't care what's happening in Houston outside of 610 anymore than I care about Dallas north of Mockingbird or Ft. Worth north of the Stockyards.

I would have stayed in Dallas if I wanted to be in a city more like Houston.
For Houston, its becoming inner loop plus near west side along Westheimer and Richmond. It's fairly walkable in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Just cores, mainly downtown and one or two other inner core neighborhoods -- which is what really defines a city. All Texas cities become certified suburbs and unwalkable once you get more than a few miles outside of downtown. I personally don't care what's happening in Houston outside of 610 anymore than I care about Dallas north of Mockingbird or Ft. Worth north of the Stockyards.

But c'mon, now. Chicago is flat, blue collar, and very industrial looking. It's practically Houston's absentee daddy.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM

229 posts, read 305,172 times
Quote:

Exactly. I am not sure how Houstion could in any way be compared to Chicago. I would think if either city, Dallas or Houston, could be compared to Chicago, it would be Dallas, as it's core and immediately surrounding neighborhoods are more urban, but even that would be a very far stretch.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
I never said they were twinsies, but the similarities are there.

Dallas being more like Chicago because of some arguable advantage of urbanity is definitely a stretch. I agree.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That doesn't mean it is below average.
Umm... yes, it necessarily does. If the fourth largest city had an average rate of pedestrian fatalities, it would be in fourth place. Same for eighth largest. I'm really not sure how I can simplify this more. Larger cities are expected to have more pedestrian fatalities.

Granted the reason they're below average is probably because people are more prone to drive and less prone to walk than in other cities, but that's irrelevant to the point.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,774 times
Quote:
Doesn't go with what you thought huh? And all of the downtowns are walkable. Austin has more activity because that's the only real party spot in Austin. Works for the city.
Downtown is the only party spot in Austin? Have you ever even been to Austin? I'm sorry to make an off topic post, but can't help it because every post I have ever read from Trae regarding Austin has been very misinformed as is this one. There are many party areas all over 78704 including SoCo, Barton Springs, S 1st and lots of great bars and clubs along Lamar. Also East Side 6th & 7th streets have become a huge party and late night art scene now as has North Loop in North Austin. The Drag and / Guad & University area, Lake Austin Blvd, Riverside always have been there and then there is also the party scenes on the lakes and rivers around Austin. Just to name a few of the more popular areas outside of downtown right now. Downtown Austin does have many huge party scenes like clean and dirty 6th areas, Red River, Rainey District, Warehouse District, Rail District and 2nd Street. Of course the other areas of Austin may seem small in comparison to downtown, but so would most any main scene in most any other major American city including anything in your Houston. Without comparing the East Side (as just one of the examples) to Downtown, but looking at it on its own, it is a hugely popular and active scene. To suggest it isn't is a lie though I know that is par for you post about Austin.

Please don't make statements as facts regarding cities you clearly have never been to and know absolutely nothing about.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 08-16-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,855 times
I will say, however, that while DT Austin is hardly the only option, most Austinites use DT as the place to hang out, night life, you know, that kind of thing. That's a good thing though.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Umm... yes, it necessarily does. If the fourth largest city had an average rate of pedestrian fatalities, it would be in fourth place. Same for eighth largest. I'm really not sure how I can simplify this more. Larger cities are expected to have more pedestrian fatalities.

Granted the reason they're below average is probably because people are more prone to drive and less prone to walk than in other cities, but that's irrelevant to the point.
Are there could just be smarter pedestrians down here. We are talking fatalities, not pedestrian activity overall in a city. That's why o said it doesn't mean it is below average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Downtown is the only party spot in Austin? Have you ever even been to Austin? I'm sorry to make an off topic post, but can't help it because every post I have ever read from Trae regarding Austin has been very misinformed as is this one. There are many party areas all over 78704 including SoCo, Barton Springs, S 1st and lots of great bars and clubs along Lamar. Also East Side 6th & 7th streets have become a huge party and late night art scene now as has North Loop in North Austin. The Drag and / Guad & University area, Lake Austin Blvd, Riverside always have been there and then there is also the party scenes on the lakes and rivers around Austin. Just to name a few of the more popular areas outside of downtown right now. Downtown Austin does have many huge party scenes like clean and dirty 6th areas, Red River, Rainey District, Warehouse District, Rail District and 2nd Street. Of course the other areas of Austin may seem small in comparison to downtown, but so would most any main scene in most any other major American city including anything in your Houston. Without comparing the East Side (as just one of the examples) to Downtown, but looking at it on its own, it is a hugely popular and active scene. To suggest it isn't is a lie though I know that is par for you post about Austin.

Please don't make statements as facts regarding cities you clearly have never been to and know absolutely nothing about.
Doesn't compare to Downtown Austin at all. Every city is going to have other small pockets here and there, but Downtown Austin is the unquestioned king for partying/going out in Austin. Compare that to DFW, where Dallas has a few spots scattered around Uptown/Downtown and then Fort Worth. Not to mention some of these suburbs have their own little bar/club areas. Houston has spots all around the Inner Loop, and some clubs down Richmond. Just look at what your fellow Austinite said above my post.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,855 times
Quote:
Are there could just be smarter pedestrians down here. We are talking fatalities, not pedestrian activity overall in a city. That's why o said it doesn't mean it is below average.

Doesn't compare to Downtown Austin at all. Every city is going to have other small pockets here and there, but Downtown Austin is the unquestioned king for partying/going out in Austin. Compare that to DFW, where Dallas has a few spots scattered around Uptown/Downtown and then Fort Worth. Not to mention some of these suburbs have their own little bar/club areas. Houston has spots all around the Inner Loop, and some clubs down Richmond. Just look at what your fellow Austinite said above my post.
Don't twist my words. There are countless things to do everywhere and anywhere in the city. We just don't let it get Houston bad, where most Houstonians haven't been to DT for months at a time, and for the ones that have, its a 9-5 deal.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Don't twist my words. There are countless things to do everywhere and anywhere in the city. We just don't let it get Houston bad, where most Houstonians haven't been to DT for months at a time, and for the ones that have, its a 9-5 deal.
Likewise, i never said there were not other party spots in austin. Downtown is just the main one and the only place I have been taken when in Austin. It's where everyone goes. In Houston, everyone goes somewhere around the Inner Loop. And no, downtown Houston may not be as lively as Austin, but there is a consistent party scene there on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas