Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It's good that Houston's developing today and not the 1930's. We get all the cool advanced technology to be apart of our rapid development.

I kind of hope we catch up to our title of 4th, before we overtake Chicago as 3rd. Whatever it takes to get some respect from these Northeast density obsessed idiots...
in what way?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
in what way?
I didn't want to explain in the City vs City room why I said this but I can here.

The main reason I want Chicago to stay 3rd for the time being is that I want Houston to catch up with it's title first. For that it has to surpass Atlanta, Boston, Miami in a few criteria. I know it will happen for sure- it's inevitable with how fast the city is changing and modernizing.

Like the thing I don't want Houston to go through is what Los Angeles went through in the 1960's-1980's, when it was the center of all the jokes in the US where everyone made fun of it's sprawl layout, and how "it's not a real city" and how not dense and messed up it is for being the 3rd largest city at that time.

Today since 1990, Los Angeles earned a lot of respect by working on it's density factor and becoming modern.

They just built their own version of Times Square in their downtown called LA Live, and all these things for them to act like America's 2nd largest city. They're tied with Chicago, because they still have a long way to go before they actually transition to 2nd city of USA, it has to beat Chicago on overall importance on global transportation, trade, finance, diver economy, and density, public transit, among a list of other reasons.

But I want Houston to get a blue print of it's ideas down before it surpasses Chicago. No city deserves that kind of hate for no reason. Los Angeles got it big time, Houston kind of already gets it, it would only be worse if they become 3rd without making the transitional changes to be even 4th.

I don't know if that made sense, but that's just kind of the way I see it. Out of ALL the cities that I see growing today, it truly has one of the brightest futures, IMHO.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I didn't want to explain in the City vs City room why I said this but I can here.

The main reason I want Chicago to stay 3rd for the time being is that I want Houston to catch up with it's title first. For that it has to surpass Atlanta, Boston, Miami in a few criteria. I know it will happen for sure- it's inevitable with how fast the city is changing and modernizing.

Like the thing I don't want Houston to go through is what Los Angeles went through in the 1960's-1980's, when it was the center of all the jokes in the US where everyone made fun of it's sprawl layout, and how "it's not a real city" and how not dense and messed up it is for being the 3rd largest city at that time.

Today since 1990, Los Angeles earned a lot of respect by working on it's density factor and becoming modern.

They just built their own version of Times Square in their downtown called LA Live, and all these things for them to act like America's 2nd largest city. They're tied with Chicago, because they still have a long way to go before they actually transition to 2nd city of USA, it has to beat Chicago on overall importance on global transportation, trade, finance, diver economy, and density, public transit, among a list of other reasons.

But I want Houston to get a blue print of it's ideas down before it surpasses Chicago. No city deserves that kind of hate for no reason. Los Angeles got it big time, Houston kind of already gets it, it would only be worse if they become 3rd without making the transitional changes to be even 4th.

I don't know if that made sense, but that's just kind of the way I see it. Out of ALL the cities that I see growing today, it truly has one of the brightest futures, IMHO.
well for one, I don't want all that rapid growth, but I know it is coming.

2. Catch up to ATL and Miami in what way??

3. Houston is already the center of zillion jokes. No matter what we do people will find things to put down our city, so who cares.

4. do you think Chicago was all that important when it passed up Philly? For that matter do you think New York was all that important when it passed up Philly? No all the cities that passed up their predecessor passed it up and then back filled.

5. I would be appreciative if Houston got all those things, but I want them to improve my standard of living, not to show up another city. I could care less about other cities.

6. When Houston and San Antonio passed up Philly I didn't hear a peep. maybe people don't care anymore.

Philly is way more important than SA, I don't think SA will ever catch up. but who cares, they are still bigger

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
San Antonio never passed up Philly. Phoenix did though.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
San Antonio never passed up Philly. Phoenix did though.
yeah, you are right. sorry.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
wow!...this is a circus tonight.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
True

They did rework the lighting almost a decade ago. Technology changes so fast.

What they did was install all new bulbs & a computer controlled DMX lighting system where they could manipulate the lights in any way they wanted to...signs, shapes, lettering, blinking, etc.

Reunion Tower was redone in 2008, not a decade ago. And they decided against LEDs to keep the classic look.

What's wrong with a good example of something from the 70s paired with the classic geodesic 'ball'?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Dallasites always use Houston's annexation as a crutch. You do realize that it most of those annexed cities were under 20,000 people. Not really enough to really make a real big difference.
The Dallas 'burbs were all under 20,000 many moons ago before Dallas reached its northern limits - so what?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,766,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Reunion Tower was redone in 2008, not a decade ago. And they decided against LEDs to keep the classic look.

What's wrong with a good example of something from the 70s paired with the classic geodesic 'ball'?
I didn't know that.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas is not the center of its metro, something Houston has as an advantage. Houston is the nucleus & everything revolves around IT.
Oh ?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas