Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM

32 posts, read 43,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Uh...if you know your football, the Texans franchise actually started out in...*drum roll please*....DALLAS.

1951-1952 genius.

Houston picked the Texans name not because it sounded cool, but to spite Dallas. They never out & out said it publicly, but just think about it for a second. We certainly kicked your asses last game.
Doesn't matter, because 1.) Dallas was smart enough to get rid of it for a better name, and 2.) Houston just took Dallas's 1950s leftovers because...*drum roll please*...they weren't creative enough to think of anything else.

And stop bragging about PRE-SEASON games that don't mean anything and are full of third stringers and guys about to get cut. Geez...

Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
How does a Cowboy have anything to do with a blue star? I'm failing to see how that correlates.
What does that have to do with the Houston Texans having a lame, uncreative, reject name? LOL, I don't even like the Cowboys anyway...HATE 'EM!!!

I will admit that the Houston Texans logo/symbol is VERY nice, but the name itself still sucks.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man 2099 View Post
Doesn't matter, because 1.) Dallas was smart enough to get rid of it for a better name, and 2.) Houston just took Dallas's 1950s leftovers because...*drum roll please*...they weren't creative enough to think of anything else.

And stop bragging about PRE-SEASON games that don't mean anything and are full of third stringers and guys about to get cut. Geez...
If you knew your history a little better you would know that the name "Cowboys" was borrowed as well, from the Texas Cowboys of the University of Texas, where Tex Schramm was an alumnus. Tex Schramm was the guy who named the Dallas franchise of the NFL. You know , the Dallas Cowboys..

Dallas didn't pick the Cowboys over the Texans because of the name, it was because the Cowboys were in the more establish NFL rather than the AFL. Got it?

The Texas Cowboys are responsible for keeping and maintaining Smokey the Cannon, which is fired off during all Texas Longhorns home football games,.[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] Smokey the Cannon is fired off after the Eyes of Texas and all Texas scores including touchdowns, field goals, kickoffs, and two-point conversions.

Texas Cowboys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S> it was 1960-61 not the 50's....

Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The mall vs mall trend in this thread is depressing and embarassing.

You think people argue about whose malls are better in a San Francisco vs Los Angeles thread??
They may hear it better coming from you than me.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Uh...if you know your football, the Texans franchise actually started out in...*drum roll please*....DALLAS.

1951-1952 genius.

Houston picked the Texans name not because it sounded cool, but to spite Dallas. They never out & out said it publicly, but just think about it for a second. We certainly kicked your asses last game.

I know one thing the Texans bull logo with Texas colors is way cooler than the grey & blue Deathstar & screams Texas more than the Cowboys logo which isn't even a Cowboy, but rather a logo that has nothing to do with your teams name.
Oh what crap. Houston picked the Texans because it sounded the best to them. I'm sure they didn't have anything about Dallas on their mind. And Dallas kicked your asses the last time a game actually counted.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh what crap. Houston picked the Texans because it sounded the best to them. I'm sure they didn't have anything about Dallas on their mind. And Dallas kicked your asses the last time a game actually counted.
Houston wasn't thinking about spiting Dallas when they put up the World's largest HD screen either huh?

The 11 year old video board at Reliant was still functioning fine. LED's last over 20 years so it was barely into half its life.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If you knew your history a little better you would know that the name "Cowboys" was borrowed as well, from the Texas Cowboys of the University of Texas, where Tex Schramm was an alumnus. Tex Schramm was the guy who named the Dallas franchise of the NFL. You know , the Dallas Cowboys..

Dallas didn't pick the Cowboys over the Texans because of the name, it was because the Cowboys were in the more establish NFL rather than the AFL. Got it?

The Texas Cowboys are responsible for keeping and maintaining Smokey the Cannon, which is fired off during all Texas Longhorns home football games,.[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] Smokey the Cannon is fired off after the Eyes of Texas and all Texas scores including touchdowns, field goals, kickoffs, and two-point conversions.

Texas Cowboys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S> it was 1960-61 not the 50's....
Blah, blah, blah. I'm not even from Texas originally, so I really don't even care. But the Cowboys is still 100x better as a team name than the "Texans," which was is the original and salient point.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Houston wasn't thinking about spiting Dallas when they put up the World's largest HD screen either huh?
If they did, that's on them. But they didn't name themselves the Texans to spite Dallas. You think Dallas would care what Houston was going to name their team. Houston is just another team in the NFL that just so happens to play in the same state. But if all you can come with is that the Texans franchise does things to spite the Cowboys, then you really do have the little brother syndrome.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If they did, that's on them. But they didn't name themselves the Texans to spite Dallas. You think Dallas would care what Houston was going to name their team. Houston is just another team in the NFL that just so happens to play in the same state. But if all you can come with is that the Texans franchise does things to spite the Cowboys, then you really do have the little brother syndrome.
I think both mascots are retarded, but Dallas' takes the cake. It has hick written all over it.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:37 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:

1951-1952 genius.

I know one thing the Texans bull logo with Texas colors is way cooler than the grey & blue Deathstar & screams Texas more than the Cowboys logo which isn't even a Cowboy, but rather a logo that has nothing to do with your teams name.
I thought "Texans" was a stupid name when the team was first created but it sounds OK now. Not that different from "49ers" or "Patriots".

Pretty sure the Cowboys star is the lone star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas