Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
Soooooo just because Dallas suburbs are bigger than Houston's means that they can claim the crown?

Hmmm I wonder, Ive said this before but why doesn't anyone get on L.A. or New York who have soooo many suburbs in their metro or Chi Town WTH you know? Don't act like Dallas is just stupid for letting their suburbs get big and Houston "the biggest inland city" is soooo smart because they have more land. Like I said it's still a suburb lol
There is a reason why I-35 splits into two different sections. The Twin Cities are the only other metro in America where that happens. New York, Chicago, and LA are more like Houston than DFW, which is more like the Bay Area than anything else.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
There is a reason why I-35 splits into two different sections. The Twin Cities are the only other metro in America where that happens. New York, Chicago, and LA are more like Houston than DFW, which is more like the Bay Area than anything else.
LA's metropolitan setup isn't similar to Houston's at all. There are many unique suburbs with their own amenities and charm outside of the core city, just like in the DFW Metroplex. With Anaheim and Long Beach, Greater LA could almost pass as multi-polar.

Not a good idea to compare NYC to anything. Chicago would be the closest to Houston, but even that area has quite a few big and unique suburbs.

Houston is the only city it's size that ate up most of it's poor little suburban areas before they had a chance to become something.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Dallas clearly missed the bus back in the day when it came to annexing new areas. Unfortunately, they are now almost 100% blocked by incorporated suburban cities... the only way Dallas will be able to expand is UP... which probably explains their 0.8% increase in population at the 2010 census... that or they are just that unpopular =)
People around here do not see this as a negative. It keeps the services of the city of Dallas from being overstretched. I think this lends to the quality of the DFW area. Each area can use their own tax dollars however they want. Anyone that I know that has lived in Houston and Dallas all say city services in Dallas are much more organized.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
LA's metropolitan setup isn't similar to Houston's at all. There are many unique suburbs with their own amenities and charm outside of the core city, just like in the DFW Metroplex. With Anaheim and Long Beach, Greater LA could almost pass as multi-polar.

Not a good idea to compare NYC to anything. Chicago would be the closest to Houston, but even that area has quite a few big and unique suburbs.

Houston is the only city it's size that ate up most of it's poor little suburban areas before they had a chance to become something.
New York annexed Brooklyn. I guess they never got the chance to be something.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
People around here do not see this as a negative. It keeps the services of the city of Dallas from being overstretched. I think this lends to the quality of the DFW area. Each area can use their own tax dollars however they want. Anyone that I know that has lived in Houston and Dallas all say city services in Dallas are much more organized.
I can definitely see the point here.

Not to send you into a state of shock, or anything, but I'm one of the few Houstonians here who wish that Houston hadn't annexed up so much land. I definitely wouldn't want us to be in Dallas' situation, but a little less like what we are.

Ideally, for me, the city of Houston would only be the inner loop, Uptown, a strip of the northside to the airport, and the POH. Outside of that, I wouldn't want just a few large, dominant suburbs, but rather, a sea of small municipalities.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can definitely see the point here.

Not to send you into a state of shock, or anything, but I'm one of the few Houstonians here who wish that Houston hadn't annexed up so much land. I definitely wouldn't want us to be in Dallas' situation, but a little less like what we are.

Ideally, for me, the city of Houston would only be the inner loop, Uptown, a strip of the northside to the airport, and the POH. Outside of that, I wouldn't want just a few large, dominant suburbs, but rather, a sea of small municipalities.
So in other words you want Houston to be Dallas?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Why do Houston posters put so much emphasis on how many people live within the city limits? More is not always better and It's mostly the same sprawl found around Dallas, but within a larger city limits boundary anyway. If it was flipped and Dallas had the larger city population do you think Houston would feel inferior to Dallas or would the Houston posters argue that less can be better because more attention can be placed in a smaller area and that Dallas is too spread thin? I'm thinking either way Dallas would still get crap no matter how it developed.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
So in other words you want Houston to be Dallas?
Hell, the furk, no. I clearly said that in my post. Put on your glasses.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Hell, the furk, no. I clearly said that in my post. Put on your glasses.
It would only help Houston.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
It would only help Houston.
Oh yes i totally agree that it would help Houston very much to become a town who let its suburbs compete with it. We would just bark at the opportunity to have one of the highest office vacancy rates downtown with no new office towers constructed inside its CBD. We hate all the stadiums and money spent inside the city, especially when Superbowls and other events come to town. We really don't want that money inside of the city as opposed to other municipalities in the metro. We would just love the luxurous trip to have to drive to nearby towns to go see a Rangers (i mean) Astros game or even a Texans game.

God Houston needs help!

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas