Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The funny thing is that Obama is the Dem. version of GWB! A youngish, under-the-radar candidate who has personal appeal and charm to woo the masses. The media is glossing over the apparent problems with Obama, just like they did GWB! (Let's face it, folks. GWB left Texas in debt and was a pretty big spender here. The media ignored that -- and look what he did in Washington!)

I've been saying this for a very long time. And I laughed when McCain FINALLY started comparing Obama to Bush, because it's true!!!! So those who think they're being "bold" by voting for a Democrat are actually voting for another Bush, just a very liberal one. The masses are voting for Obama because they perceive him as fresh, hip and a "uniter"; they voted for Bush because he was fresh, folksy, and a "uniter."
There's one HUGE difference between Obama and Bush - speaking ability. I've spent the last 8 years cringing every single time Bush opens his mouth, wondering how many times he'll butcher the English language in a 10 minute speech. The president, whether you like it or not, is the public mouthpiece of the American people and when Bush speaks he makes each and every one of us sound like a backwater moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There's one HUGE difference between Obama and Bush - speaking ability. I've spent the last 8 years cringing every single time Bush opens his mouth, wondering how many times he'll butcher the English language in a 10 minute speech. The president, whether you like it or not, is the public mouthpiece of the American people and when Bush speaks he makes each and every one of us sound like a backwater moron.
That's true. But recall how people gushed about him being folksy and endearingly "plain-spoken" when he was first running! They voted for him partly because of this and then complained about it after they elected him!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
That's true. But recall how people gushed about him being folksy and endearingly "plain-spoken" when he was first running! They voted for him partly because of this and then complained about it after they elected him!
I never gushed about Bush being folksy and endearingly "plain-spoken." I want our President to be smart and articulate. He represents us to the world, not to mention we have to listen to him for 4 years minimum.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
amen...about the Obama comments.
however i still love GWB. he always gives me the warm and fuzzies when i hear him talk.
i am for anyone who wont cut the defense budget. that's my paycheck.

Quote:
The funny thing is that Obama is the Dem. version of GWB! A youngish, under-the-radar candidate who has personal appeal and charm to woo the masses. The media is glossing over the apparent problems with Obama, just like they did GWB! (Let's face it, folks. GWB left Texas in debt and was a pretty big spender here. The media ignored that -- and look what he did in Washington!)

I've been saying this for a very long time. And I laughed when McCain FINALLY started comparing Obama to Bush, because it's true!!!! So those who think they're being "bold" by voting for a Democrat are actually voting for another Bush, just a very liberal one. The masses are voting for Obama because they perceive him as fresh, hip and a "uniter"; they voted for Bush because he was fresh, folksy, and a "uniter."

Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
what i DONT get at all, is how come all the Obama supporters obviously have NO problem with him having been a member of Rev Wright's church for 20 years? there is NO way, NO way, that Obama was NOT aware of Rev Wright's anit-white and un-patriotic sentiments. no way. and then Obama leaves the church, as a political move. Please. come on yall. Wake up!
I don't find that it is too much different than a member of Palin's own family being a member of an anti-america sect. Her own husband. She has attended their meetings but of course was not a member due to her political position. From what people in Alaska are saying...they were anti any color other than white. Obama had a white mother and was raised by his white grandparents. I don't think he would very well be anti-white...so, even if he did attend that church, it does not mean that he agreed with those periodic preachings. He has no control over that pastor's feelings. After all...this is America, where we have freedom to feel what we want to feel. What about McCain's statement that he "hates gooks" and "will always hate gooks" What about McCain AND Palin who have stirred so much hate with their campaign that hate crimes in this country are higher than they have ever been and getting worse. The damage McCain and Palin have done is setting this country so far back in time that it is shameful.

I'm not democrat or republican. I do my research and vote for the person I feel will do the best for this country. It certainly is not "McFalin".

Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 PM

336 posts, read 697,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
It's not a big deal like Kennedy; nowhere close. It's just a lie that most people ignore, it obviously doesn't have any impact on the voters. The difference is Kennedy was actually Catholic, Obama is NOT (for the umpteenth time) Muslim.
I didn't say that Obama was...I know that he says he is a Christian...
I said Muslim background...of which his father is...so it freaks people
out...However, if people will just realize that religion is not a danger
to anyone without the character of the person that practices it....
You can just as easily have a crazy Christian or a tolerant Muslim
or vice versa....I look at the individual...

Old 10-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
He does have some shady friends...but guilt by association is probably
not going to prevent him from getting votes...my only problem with
making a scandal out of that is ....no one would think to punish
other people for a lot of the *off the wall* sermons some pastors
preach...his beliefs will become apparent if elected...and we will
have to live with it for the next four years...and if we have survived
with that moron George W. in there ...I think we will be fine...
Who are Obama's "shady" friends??? Ayers? The man who was in the underground when Obama was EIGHT YEARS OLD? Acorn??? Obama had no part of or control over what they did.

Obama's shady friends??? What about McCain being friends with G. Gordon Liddy, the Watergate burglar and domestic terrorist. McCain is friends with and associates with him to this day. What about McCain being involved in the Keating 5 and what about McCain's association with his own wife, who is a thief? She stole drugs from her own organization to feed her drug habit. McCain even voted against the Troop Funding Bill. We can go on and on about this "tit for tat". The thing to do is to get past the petty stuff.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
I know that a lot of people are upset about Obama's Muslim background....but my Mother
said that it was a big deal when Kennedy was voted in because he was a Catholic...I
don't think that Obama's faith will trickle down and turn us all into Muslims...I am a
Baptist of all things...we don't turn too easily.... haha
Terri, Terri, Terri...WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO??? Obama is NOT a Muslim. His mother was white, his father was AFRICAN. His mother and father met at college, in HAWAII. His mother and father did not marry. His father went back to Africa and Obama saw him only once, for about a month, when he was 10 years old. Obama is a Christian. Please, people. Do some research and stop listening to all of the hate mongers out there who are using scare tactics and passing on wrong information. I can't believe this.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
amen...about the Obama comments.
however i still love GWB. he always gives me the warm and fuzzies when i hear him talk.
i am for anyone who wont cut the defense budget. that's my paycheck.
Hey, what about Country First?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 PM

336 posts, read 697,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Terri, Terri, Terri...WHO ARE YOU LISTENING TO??? Obama is NOT a Muslim. His mother was white, his father was AFRICAN. His mother and father met at college, in HAWAII. His mother and father did not marry. His father went back to Africa and Obama saw him only once, for about a month, when he was 10 years old. Obama is a Christian. Please, people. Do some research and stop listening to all of the hate mongers out there who are using scare tactics and passing on wrong information. I can't believe this.

I have read all that you are referring to...and I am not listening to
anyone...like I said when I first wrote on this thread...I did not
vote for McCain OR Obama...I do feel that McCain is just a
continuation of Bush...of whom I cannot stand and Obama, I feel
just doesn't have enough experience...I threw my vote into the
ring for Ron Paul....and yes, although that means that my vote
perhaps will not count...I wasn't comfortable picking either of
the other two...but it had nothing to do with internet bashing
of one or the other...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas