Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post
Dude, people can make one of those stat list to say anything. Tomorrow Texas will be the best place to survive a recession in, then it will be the place hit hardest by the recession, then it will be the place for people with the biggest eyelids. All those stat things are BS.
Yeah those surveys are meaningless. It's like you said. One day a survey is calling you Jesus, the next day it's calling you Satan. Those surveys mean about as much as some financial analyst on TV telling me where to invest my money. If he really knew that he would make Bill Gates look like he was on Skid Row.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,963 times
Well, instead of just giving up on statistics altogether you should perhaps question the source of the data and relevance of the statistical model. Seems pretty flippant to just say, "Yeah, I don't trust stats. period."

Edit: Plus, its a list of rankings not a survey.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
Did you hear about the stistician who drowned in a lake which had an average depth of nine inches?

The "reconquista" Hispanics are a minority. And I certainly don't agree that Hispanics can't compete intellectually with others. I'm all for tightening up the border; I know a Hispanic legal resident who doesn't like the illegals because she is sometimes judged as one. But I have had nothing but good relations with Hispanics. Perhaps you get back what you send out?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I think this is EXCELLENT news that should be broadcast as often as possible in California and other states from which people are leaving in droves. Those of us in Texas who are happy and content don't give a rat's patootey what the others think, except if it can be used to keep those who would spoil our way of life FAR away.
The californians who are leaving in droves leave for work and cost of living. Not bc Tx is that great. If they were still able to live in CA they wouldn't leave- why do so many people confuse wanting to leave and having to leave??

Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post
Dude, people can make one of those stat list to say anything. Tomorrow Texas will be the best place to survive a recession in, then it will be the place hit hardest by the recession, then it will be the place for people with the biggest eyelids. All those stat things are BS.
How are they BS? They are all cited with real figures. TX is a state of have and have nots. Family in TX are pretty much either doing very well, living the all american dream, or struggling on government aid. It is what it is.... lets do something to change some of those things.

also notice that alot of those rankings are either last or first. There are good numbers too, but just aren't listed. lets just say in Those categories, TX ranks near the bottom.. that's all...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,529,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
The californians who are leaving in droves leave for work and cost of living. Not bc Tx is that great. If they were still able to live in CA they wouldn't leave- why do so many people confuse wanting to leave and having to leave??
If you have to leave and then find yourself in Texas...don't whine about how much you miss the place in which you used to live. We welcome people into our state, but if all you do is ***** about how Texas isn't as good as where you came from, then we'd rather not have you here.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM

12 posts, read 35,301 times
ladihawkae scroll to the bottom of the page and on the left side you will see a link- smiles are on click on the smiles and it will open a new page tell in you hoe to add the smiles

Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM

56 posts, read 268,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
Wrong. Mexico declared it's independence from Spain in 1810 and Texas officially became independent from Mexico in 1836 so it was part of Mexico for 26 years and would still be part of Mexico today if it was not for the expansionist agenda of the union back then. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that Texas is part of the US but to say that it was in Mexico's hands for only 15 years is erronous since it was for 26 years and the anglo immigrants back there were welcomed with open arms. Having said that, I do believe that we must do better to enforce our southern border with more border patrol, fence, technology.
Dtowner, you left out this part from usmc's post.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM

96 posts, read 206,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
How are they BS? They are all cited with real figures. TX is a state of have and have nots. Family in TX are pretty much either doing very well, living the all american dream, or struggling on government aid. It is what it is.... lets do something to change some of those things.

also notice that alot of those rankings are either last or first. There are good numbers too, but just aren't listed. lets just say in Those categories, TX ranks near the bottom.. that's all...
Well, what the heck are you doing here, I just saw a study that says the best place to raise kids is IOWA, hopefully you don't have kids, but if you do, then that means your a bad parent. "Sarcasm".

Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Well, instead of just giving up on statistics altogether you should perhaps question the source of the data and relevance of the statistical model. Seems pretty flippant to just say, "Yeah, I don't trust stats. period."

Edit: Plus, its a list of rankings not a survey.
There are a lot of factors that go into rankings or surveys. Did you get a large enough, random sample? Surveys and rankings can be skewed. I can go around Texas and ask 10 people if they like Texas. If all 10 say yes and they probably will since they live in Texas then I can say that 100% of the people in the nation say they like Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas