Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,033,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
My aunt ended up here for a bone marrow transplant as opposed to Houston. She lives in Tyler. It really depends on what kind of treatment your looking for. Houston has MD Anderson which is a world class cancer facility. Dallas has other things which it does well in the Medical field too.
Dallas has an excellent children's hospital & Parkland has one of the best burn centers in the nation.

About your aunt in Tyler, most people who can't receive the needed treatment here (which happens from time to time) end up in Dallas because its so much closer than Houston. Why drive 4 hours to see your doctor when you can drive less than 2 for the same treatment? If she was dying of cancer though I would say send her to MD Anderson right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM

113 posts, read 87,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Precisely

Where in Dallas do you see these gleaming glass medical towers? Make that two in Houston around 500 ft. tall. Houston's medical facilities are first rate & people come from all over the world to seek treatment. You don't see that as much in Dallas.

Ooh.. Ooh.. We have gleaming glass towers clumped together! We're TALLER than Dallas... Ooh.. Ooh.. We have more seats for watching art than New York City... Ooh... Ooh... We're Houston, and we're the best city in the WORLD... Ooh... Ooh... Why don't people around the world recognize us for that? Ooh... Ooh..

Houston tries desperately to make itself look like it's Chicago or New York, but it will never be. The ONLY thing that attracts people to Houston (and Dallas for that matter) is JOBS.

If they could get jobs in a better climate, they'd move from Houston AND Dallas in a heartbeat. Nobody likes to live in a sweltering climate unless they have no other choice, at least most normal people.

I live in Dallas but at least I can admit that Dallas is not the center of the universe as well and climate wise is just a tad better than Houston, if at all.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypton View Post
Houston tries desperately to make itself look like it's Chicago or New York, but it will never be. The ONLY thing that attracts people to Houston (and Dallas for that matter) is JOBS.
Actually, Houston & Chicago are a like in some ways. Both are blue collar, industrial cities with tons of diversity & stunning architecture.

There are people in both Houston & Dallas who wouldn't live anywhere else regardless of jobs. Native Houstonians tend to have lots of pride in their hometown, more so than what I've witnessed in Dallas. I don't know if its that "we can do it" attitude in Houston or what, but its there. To me, Dallas is more about what you drive, what you wear, & what country club you belong to. I've never seen a city try SO hard to be New York or LA as much as Dallas does.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM

113 posts, read 87,210 times
Finally we can agree on something. Dallas is a plastic city.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Finally we can agree on something. Dallas is a plastic city.
So much so that they even jocked on Austin's "Keep Austin Weird" slogan with "Keep Dallas Plastic" & "Keep Dallas Pretentious".

Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,790,842 times
Quote:
Actually, Houston & Chicago are a like in some ways. Both are blue collar, industrial cities with tons of diversity & stunning architecture.

There are people in both Houston & Dallas who wouldn't live anywhere else regardless of jobs. Native Houstonians tend to have lots of pride in their hometown, more so than what I've witnessed in Dallas. I don't know if its that "we can do it" attitude in Houston or what, but its there. To me, Dallas is more about what you drive, what you wear, & what country club you belong to. I've never seen a city try SO hard to be New York or LA as much as Dallas does.
Not on this site. Houstonians compare their city to LA more than Ive ever seen. And Im sorry, Houston will never be what my hometown is. Dallas wont either. So dont think thats what Im getting at.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 08-27-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Not on this site. Houstonians compare their city to LA more than Ive ever seen. And Im sorry, Houston WILL NEVER BE what my hometown is. NEVER.
Maybe you're referring to me & some of my posts in which I have indeed made a few Houston & LA comparisons. There are similarities in the two cities & I'll be more than happy to point them out to you if you wish. Attitude wise you are correct, Houston is nothing like LA...Dallas on the other hand wishes it was LA with its 30K millionaire hipster crowd driving their 3 Series BMW's like they're the ****. I've never seen so many D-bags gathered in one place as I've seen at some of the nightclubs in Dallas, Tx.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,524,091 times
[quote=Metro Matt;10488383]Maybe you're referring to me & some of my posts in which I have indeed made a few Houston & LA comparisons. There are similarities in the two cities & I'll be more than happy to point them out to you if you wish. Attitude wise you are correct, Houston is nothing like LA...Dallas on the other hand wishes it was LA with its 30K millionaire hipster crowd driving their 3 Series BMW's like they're the ****. I've never seen so many D-bags gathered in one place as I've seen at some of the nightclubs in Dallas, Tx.[/quote]

Keep in mind that you're talking about a small sub-group of Dallasites. There are plenty of us, dare I admit, middle-aged Dallasites who don't have a clue what the 20-something, fickle, club-going, hipsters are up to and really don't care. I really don't see how you can paint an entire city by their example. They're kids!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,988,627 times
Quote:
I've never seen a city try SO hard to be New York or LA as much as Dallas does.
I have to disagree with this. Dallas only wants to be credited for what it is, and its considerable contributions to the coasts, through years of stereotype. It rightly views itself as better in some ways than the coasts; it's very much a Texas city.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,472,946 times
Quote:
If they could get jobs in a better climate, they'd move from Houston AND Dallas in a heartbeat. Nobody likes to live in a sweltering climate unless they have no other choice, at least most normal people.
I wouldn't live in Chicago if L.A. was one of the choices. My mom's stories of those blizzards from the '70s are scary enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas