Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 AM

224 posts, read 273,572 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. I'm originally from Houston and spent 20 of my first 21 years there, before moving to Los Angeles, where I've now spent over two decades. I remember in the '80s when Sharpstown High School in southwest Houston had a black-white racial brawl seemingly on the last day of every school year. Have they moved away from this despicable occurrence/tradition by now?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,146 times
yes vidor has a stigma about it, but there are mexicans and blacks there. most people there arent like that. there are some that are, but majority arent.back in the day it was.but theres racism in every culture whether we want to admit it or not.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,146 times
most of the people commenting on here have never even been to these towns, there just feeding off of rumors! i actually worked deathrow here in texas and the two of the three guys that were involved in the jasper inncedent are there! they werent even from jasper! i actually knew on of there nieces.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:20 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
Hi y'all. I'm originally from Houston and spent 20 of my first 21 years there, before moving to Los Angeles, where I've now spent over two decades. I remember in the '80s when Sharpstown High School in southwest Houston had a black-white racial brawl seemingly on the last day of every school year. Have they moved away from this despicable occurrence/tradition by now?

Pretty much, since whites don't really live in the area any more. It's majority Mexican now.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM

35 posts, read 90,288 times
I moved from Michigan and have also lived in Nebraska & Missouri and I have to say that Austin, Texas (including the suburbs like Pflugerville, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, etc.) are THE ABSOLUTE most racist places that I've been.
Don't ask questions if you're lost...don't get caught on certain areas after dark (esp the ones that have no pavement)...I've never experience blatant racist until I moved here and even though the cost of living is less and my education is less...I am planning to transfer my classes and move OUT OF TEXAS.

I don't pull the "racist" card...like ever! but this is really obvious that "we" (Afr Amer) are NOT wanted here!
Dallas is a little more diverse, but I fear the underlying racial problems, so I don't even want to give them a chance and move to North Texas...
Sad because there is a lot of room here for everybody.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrdp View Post
I moved from Michigan and have also lived in Nebraska & Missouri and I have to say that Austin, Texas (including the suburbs like Pflugerville, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, etc.) are THE ABSOLUTE most racist places that I've been.
Don't ask questions if you're lost...don't get caught on certain areas after dark (esp the ones that have no pavement)...I've never experience blatant racist until I moved here and even though the cost of living is less and my education is less...I am planning to transfer my classes and move OUT OF TEXAS.

I don't pull the "racist" card...like ever! but this is really obvious that "we" (Afr Amer) are NOT wanted here!
Dallas is a little more diverse, but I fear the underlying racial problems, so I don't even want to give them a chance and move to North Texas...
Sad because there is a lot of room here for everybody.
Wow that is sad...2010 and some folks still acting like that. Are they blatant to the point of pulling a Dr. Laura and using the N word??? Can you give examples. So you think North Texas would be the same...man. That sucks because from what I have seen of Dallas race relations look very decent.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 AM

55 posts, read 139,227 times
If you think humans treat each other bad; you should see what they(humans) do to amimals. When they're finished with them, they add seasoning( some like it rare) and eat them.
You can watch a thought provoking documentary called 'Earthling' on documentarywire.com.
bon appetit cherie

Old 08-28-2010, 09:17 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Holy Cow are you FREAKING serious...East Texas?? What cities??? Thats freaking absurd....I can't believe that.....Call me naive but OMG so sad
You just can't fix Stupid can ya....

Ya been had.....you get to wear the dunce hat this week...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie23 View Post
If you think humans treat each other bad; you should see what they(humans) do to amimals. When they're finished with them, they add seasoning( some like it rare) and eat them.
You can watch a thought provoking documentary called 'Earthling' on documentarywire.com.
bon appetit cherie
I will pass....thanks my friend

Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'm primarily carnivorous, and I make no apologies for it. How did we get on food, anyway?

There is racism all over TX, but at least it is mostly covert these days. It isn't all on one side, either. I hear more disparaging remarks about Latinos than I do about Blacks, probably because of the illegal immigration issue. The way I see it, bad neighbors come in all colours. Racism is stupid. I think most people agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas