Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times

Advertisements

My last real vacation was two weeks in the Rocky Mountain west in '07. Since then, the wife and I have taken day long road trips, but nothing overnight. Since I work some weekends, I have burned some vacation time over the year just taking weekends off during my favorite time of the year, which is in the early fall when the temps start to cool.

Part of the reason was wife's employment. To many small, small companies, and the economy ended up causing her to lose two jobs over the years. She finally has been with a very, very large company and their time off is awesome. So now we have two week long vacations planned this year: Going to a wedding down south in Alabama then over to Florida, then another week later on in NYC. Actually we aren't even taking a full week, just enough time to see everything we care to see and coming back home. I may end up returning to work to save my vacation (as of now, my vacation isn't use or lose).

Future vacations we hope to take as she builds her time off bank:
-Two weeks in the SW (Vegas, S. Utah, Grand Canyon)
-Niagara Falls
-Shenandoah Nat'l Park driving Skyline Drive then hitting the southern portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway and spend some time in Galinburg.

I think for the next few years we will just take two fully weeks of vacation. That will allow her to save some time off. I would like for her to eventually build up her maximum that she can roll over year after year, that way if she ever has an illness, she is covered with a decent amount of weeks (their vacation and sick time is one bank of time).

If time permits, I would like to try to factor in two long weekend getaways to local areas no more than six or so hours away. Hopefully her job lasts here for many years to come, the vacation benefits only get better with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
-Niagara Falls
You'll be bored trying to spend a full week there. It's good for a day, maybe two if you want to do a bunch of tacky tourist stuff. Add Toronto or better yet Ottawa to that trip and you've got a winner.

And not sure if you know, but don't forget your passports. You can't drive over the border into Canada without them any longer.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
It’s been over two years since I have been more than one hundred miles from where I am sitting right at this moment.

I’ve got to get out of this place.

How often do you feel the need for Vacations?
I went out of town last year for three days to Cleveland. Other than that I went to Florida back in the 90s. I'm dying to go anywhere now...

Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Taking a vacation is not only nice but imo essential.

I won't bother traveling overseas for less than a week. I usually take 2 weeks to a month off when I travel.

Of course for shorter trips a few days will do.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Not as often as I want to.

But then I'm unemployed so it's kind of hard lol. I DO feel like I need a vacation from the stress of job-hunting though.

I know this is going to sound cheap to a lot of people here (some of you sound very rich lol) but what I'll do when I want a "vacation" and can't afford one is our family will have what's called a camp-out. We put mattresses on the living room floor, get together a bunch of movie munchies and chill together at night. It sounds lame, but it's really fun.

Plus I'm lucky to live not too far from our gorgeous coast, so we try to get there when we can.

Gotta admit though, I am definitely salivating at some of your vay-cay descriptions lol

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
I get three weeks of vacation a year. I usually use one to stay home, one to go somewhere, and one to visit family. My second week of vacation comes up in August; I'm not sure what where I will be going. The first four years of my career, though, I didn't take any vacation time at all. I had been laid off twice, and I for some twisted reason, I felt guilty about taking vacations.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM

253 posts, read 201,977 times
Bandon, that doesn't sound lame at all. When I was younger, we used to put the tent up in our yard & camp out all the time. We also went camping to places all over when I was little too, my parents started me camping when I was a year old & I'm so grateful that they did that. I love camping. It's one of the cheapest vacations you can take.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Get on a few airline discount mailing lists (come out every Weds.). I have seen Tokyo for $300 on occasion (international allows one week travel, Domestic = Thursday > Monday)

I do lots of 'fly-drive' travel. Rent car on priceline ($10 / day) and stay in private Guest homes ($10/night). I might do this 10 or more times / yr, sometimes, 10x / month

Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
I went to Thailand for my internship, but I would consider that as my vacation gift also. Paid $1,100 (almost 1,200 but exclude tax and the original price is $800 something). My next one, I hope, will be to San Diego.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:26 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
Last vacation~a week on Sanibel Island in November `10. Next one~drive 600 miles to see family and friends and househunt (possible retirement move). Husband has 2 ski trips planned for next winter, I have a couple of 3 or 4 night trips planned for Fall. Two more weeks this Fall in Sanibel.

We usually take three, week long vacations together each year and then he gets his 2 ski vacations where I stay home with the dogs, and take my pay backs in 3 or 4 night trips with girlfriends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel