U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2011, 06:09 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,717,560 times
Reputation: 4774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I also think a lot depends on what terminal you are in .... not all terminals are created equal ... personally, I love terminal 4 here in Phx ..... clean, modern looking, 4 different security points that can get you into the terminal ... enough options for food/drink/etc
I'd agree with this. Phoenix Terminal 4 can be pretty crowded but it is pretty clean, new, and has a larger selection of food than most.

I'm trying to think of a bad one... there is one in JFK (I think terminal 1) where the entrance area is far too small so the security line is just kind of jammed over to the left and sometimes spills past where you can a line forms. Last time I was there they had spider-like system of hoses collecting drips from the ceiling, that was neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,717,560 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just be careful of what toilet you use. I wasn't overjoyed about using the "stradling a hole" method, stainless steal or not.
Best is when a toilet is at the end of a little rickety boardwalk that sits over the local river. Usually the same river in town where restaurants wash their dishes, kids swim in, fish pulled from, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,894 posts, read 20,182,157 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Several problems with MCO--the main Orlando airport.

1. The majority of the food and shopping is located outside of the sterile concourse. So once you're through security that's it.

2. Speaking of security, it's terrible in Orlando. Lines can be almost an hour long, many TSA are surly to the point that someday one of them is just going to get the snot kicked out of them by someone who is fed up with them while other passengers clap.

3. It can take well over 45 minutes for luggage to come off the plane and onto the carousel, and that's if there isn't a work stop due to lightning in the area. If that happens you can wait up to 90 minutes.

They could fix most of the problems by moving the security check points so that the sterile concourse included the shops and restaurants. The problem is the hotel entry is from the main terminal, so they would have to rework that.
I would have to say that MCO was a very disappointing airport when I visited for precisely the reasons you laid out ... I felt the luggage carousel was not large enough to accommodate the number of passengers that travel through that airport. The food options were pathetic ... at least within the American terminal and they do need to redesign the airport to allow travelers to have more options inside the secured area. I don't recall my TSA experience so I guess that wasn't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,894 posts, read 20,182,157 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Best is when a toilet is at the end of a little rickety boardwalk that sits over the local river. Usually the same river in town where restaurants wash their dishes, kids swim in, fish pulled from, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I would have to say that MCO was a very disappointing airport when I visited for precisely the reasons you laid out ... I felt the luggage carousel was not large enough to accommodate the number of passengers that travel through that airport. The food options were pathetic ... at least within the American terminal and they do need to redesign the airport to allow travelers to have more options inside the secured area. I don't recall my TSA experience so I guess that wasn't too bad.
Are you sure you're remembering the same airport? The luggage carousels are huge. American doesn't have it's own terminal, in fact overall they are a fairly small presence at MCO. The dominant airlines there are Southwest and Airtran--once the merger is complete they will have about 35% of the total daily air traffic at MCO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,894 posts, read 20,182,157 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Are you sure you're remembering the same airport? The luggage carousels are huge. American doesn't have it's own terminal, in fact overall they are a fairly small presence at MCO. The dominant airlines there are Southwest and Airtran--once the merger is complete they will have about 35% of the total daily air traffic at MCO!
This was in 2008, I flew into MCO via Delta and all I could remember was the huge crowd and the small luggage carousel. I remember thinking to myself about how inadequate the space was for an airport that caters to so many travelers. I flew out via American (long story) and was amazed at how limited the food selections were in the terminal plus it seemed that some construction was taking place as the terminal was plain ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,183,343 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Several problems with MCO--the main Orlando airport.

1. The majority of the food and shopping is located outside of the sterile concourse. So once you're through security that's it.

2. Speaking of security, it's terrible in Orlando. Lines can be almost an hour long, many TSA are surly to the point that someday one of them is just going to get the snot kicked out of them by someone who is fed up with them while other passengers clap.

3. It can take well over 45 minutes for luggage to come off the plane and onto the carousel, and that's if there isn't a work stop due to lightning in the area. If that happens you can wait up to 90 minutes.

They could fix most of the problems by moving the security check points so that the sterile concourse included the shops and restaurants. The problem is the hotel entry is from the main terminal, so they would have to rework that.
I'm use to lax. I'd rank, lax maybe a 3, orlando maybe a 7. I liked the cinnabon in orlando. And it generally seemed pretty efficient...never had to wait for the tram. I've gone in january, when tourism is pretty light. Its worst in the summer?

I dont like the security anywhere. *Very* big brotherish and orwellian. I was in Philadelphia last year. Looked like 1940 Germany!! Six "guards" standing around. Checking "zee papers". Its so weird. I dont trust any of them.

I'm suprised there isn't more protest against the TSA at airports. They're the worst thing thats happened to this country in the last 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,894 posts, read 20,182,157 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I'm use to lax. I'd rank, lax maybe a 3, orlando maybe a 7. I liked the cinnabon in orlando. And it generally seemed pretty efficient...never had to wait for the tram. I've gone in january, when tourism is pretty light. Its worst in the summer?
You were fortunate that you flew into MCO during a non-peak period ... I think summer, Christmas time and Spring Break would be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 PM
 
14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Reputation: 20100
Even though I live much closer to O'hare and the same distance to Milwaukee's Mitchell Field, I like Chicago-Midway. Most of the tome, I can deplane and be at my car at Midway Park and Ride (2 miles north) within thirty minutes. At O'Hare, it would take at least an hour.

And the restaurants are pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
This was in 2008, I flew into MCO via Delta and all I could remember was the huge crowd and the small luggage carousel. I remember thinking to myself about how inadequate the space was for an airport that caters to so many travelers. I flew out via American (long story) and was amazed at how limited the food selections were in the terminal plus it seemed that some construction was taking place as the terminal was plain ugly.
The food in the airsides (not the terminal) has always been a problem, although it's getting better each year.

There has never really been an issue with carousels not being large enough--I guess that's a perception thing for you. There are many airports with much smaller and more crowded carousels and baggage claim areas--SFO and BDL come to mind.

There has been construction ongoing for a number of years, some due to the significant damage from Hurricane Charley (which tore a good part of the roof off airside B in the gates 1-59 area) and some due to ongoing improvements and updates.

Most people find the MCO terminal to be attractive. While it's not going to win any awards in my opinion, it's definitely better looking than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top