Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

I've been exhausted enough to pull off at a truckstop (female). I always go to the car parking area/well lit. Never had any trouble. Kinda yuck sleeping in the car but I just put the seat back and throw the blanket over my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The more expensive the motel, the more likely it has bedbugs. Because, people who stay in expensive motels, tend to travel more. How much they travel is what determines the odds they will bring bedbugs to the motel. Expensive motels near airports are the most likely to have bedbugs.
I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong but where are you getting your information from?

This is why I have an RV for travelling x-country in... if I'm gonna get bedbugs they're gonna be from me. If I had to travel alone often I would just set up a bed in my hatchback and sleep in walmart lots and the like.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I'm sure this option is chosen by at least some domestic road-trippers looking to economize...
I totally read this as 'some domestic strippers'.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,824 times
Well they can be noisy. When me and my father travel have slept at a few truck stops.
We never had any problems with people just once in a while a cop would check on us

Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
I avoid truck stops due to noise and number of people around. I prefer remote rest areas where there aren't many people around. Done it several times for 6-ish hours rest with no problems.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
I'm in the military, I can sleep anywhere and get some good rest.

I've done it many times and I've never been bothered. I've driven quite a few miles. One of those huge gas stations with the truck stops is my preferred rest area but I have stopped at the rest areas along the interstate and have never had an issue. I always keep a pillow and blanket in the car.

While some of the rest areas may be noisy, that's not a bad thing as high traffic means people are always around so you're never alone.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm in the military, I can sleep anywhere and get some good rest.

I've done it many times and I've never been bothered. I've driven quite a few miles. One of those huge gas stations with the truck stops is my preferred rest area but I have stopped at the rest areas along the interstate and have never had an issue. I always keep a pillow and blanket in the car.

While some of the rest areas may be noisy, that's not a bad thing as high traffic means people are always around so you're never alone.
This has been my experience as well. I've slept at many a Flying J. I gas up before I go to sleep. When I wake up, I use the facilities and buy some cold water and something to eat and hit the road. Saves time and money.

If I am not in a rush and want to sleep in a bed, I pick up one of those Roomsaver advertising booklets that are in the racks at rest stops and gas stations. I call ahead to one that looks convenient to the freeway to make sure they have a room available, then use the coupon. We've stayed in some nice places for decent prices.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-13-2014 at 05:17 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I've slept in my SUV at rest parks and truck stops several times. I've never slept all night but I've never intended to either.
Never felt too horribly unsafe (and I'm a woman) but I always travel with at least one of my dogs on long trips.
I've never done this as a cost saving measure but more as a time saving measure because I tend to drive straight through as much as possible rather than plan 10 hr days or whatever. I leave my key in the ignition so I could pull out in a hurry if needed and sleep in the drivers seat. I've actually found motel parking lots to be a lot quieter and I've never been hassled by management plus it just seems a little safer to me.

If you are a guy I wouldn't particularly worry at all.
X2. And I'm even a woman from Houston who travels with dogs too, SoHoVe I do that on any car trip of even a few hours+ because I have no driving stamina. I see nothing wrong with sleeping in a car overnight. Truck stops are generally pretty safe places because there is constant activity and they are very well lit. And I mean VERY. However, I have to agree with some others have said that sleeping in the car overnight is not comfortable at all. A nap is a lot easier to pull off.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I totally read this as 'some domestic strippers'.
Potty brain.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
It may sound ridiculous but here in CT there are signs in at least some rest area parking lots that state "No Sleeping in Cars". My wife once pulled over for a nap in a smaller rest area, on a highway where commercial vehicles are not allowed (Merit Parkway) and was roused by a police officer that told her that it wasn't safe to sleep in a car and it was not allowed.

She explained that it was a better option than falling asleep behind the wheel and he agreed and said nonetheless, it wasn't allowed. He said, Stretch your legs, wake up a little and go find a motel to sleep in.

Rest areas indeed!
Yet there are rest areas that allow and even encourage sleeping, one large rest area I went to had a area for that-- you're not supposed to stay over 8 hours though. Truck drivers now are supposed to pull over and rest every so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel