Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:31 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
If I ever had to sit in a window seat the shade would be open, my seat, my shade. But I have to have an aisle seat and don't worry about what anyone is doing in their window seat.

Same here. I pay for a window seat specifically so I can look outside. Without that, i'd go nuts on an airplane as I cannot sleep on a plane and cannot sit in the middle for 15 hours.

My seat, my shade. Unless the flight crew specifically states that window shades are to remain closed during the hours of X to X, then it's fair game.

Bring a sleep mask if it bothers you.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here. I pay for a window seat specifically so I can look outside. Without that, i'd go nuts on an airplane as I cannot sleep on a plane and cannot sit in the middle for 15 hours.

My seat, my shade. Unless the flight crew specifically states that window shades are to remain closed during the hours of X to X, then it's fair game.

Bring a sleep mask if it bothers you.
Absolutely agree with this, from start to finish. OP, you were out of line.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It was absolutely his right. If you're planning on sleeping during a daytime flight, it's incumbent upon you to bring a sleep mask.
Total agreement.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
I'm surprised by the responses thus far. I opened the window to look out, and a flight attendant approached me in a few minutes and asked me to close the shade so that it wouldn't disturb others who are sleeping or trying to watch the in-flight movie. Worth mentioning was this was over 2 decades ago and I was kid then.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:07 PM

217 posts, read 326,087 times
He could've been feeling sick or claustrophobic and needed to see outside to get his bearings straight. He's allowed to see outside of the plane.

That's why he probably kept opening and then closing it too because he knew everyone wanted it closed. I would say that you don't need to open it completely. Crack it open and look out.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm surprised by the responses thus far. I opened the window to look out, and a flight attendant approached me in a few minutes and asked me to close the shade so that it wouldn't disturb others who are sleeping or trying to watch the in-flight movie. Worth mentioning was this was over 2 decades ago and I was kid then.
So if a flight attendant told the man who kept opening and closing his window shade he was being rude then it is rude. But if I and other passengers complain then it is not rude?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Yes, I am very surprised by the responses here too. Not sure how many of these posters have travelled on long haul flights.

I paid for the window seat = my rules .... is stupid and incorrect! There are many things you cannot do on a plane, and one of them is open the window and get in blinding light while it is dark. The air-hostess will immediately ask you to close the window! Especially if someone complains!

Just like you are asked to straighten your seat when meals are served. Again, my seat does not equal my rules.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Unless there are specific rules about window shades being open or closed if i'm sitting next to a window that shade is going to be up for the entirety of the flight if you got a problem with that? tough luck .Next time you fly get a window seat then you can be in control of the shade/

Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Yes, I am very surprised by the responses here too. Not sure how many of these posters have travelled on long haul flights.

I paid for the window seat = my rules .... is stupid and incorrect! There are many things you cannot do on a plane, and one of them is open the window and get in blinding light while it is dark. The air-hostess will immediately ask you to close the window! Especially if someone complains!

Just like you are asked to straighten your seat when meals are served. Again, my seat does not equal my rules.

My thoughts exactly!! The flight crew sets the rules and everyone is supposed to follow them, regardless of how stupid they may be or how much one paid for his or her seat. In this case, the OP should have told a crew member and the crew member should have corrected the passenger. I do understand if one is feeling sick and needs to see out, but other than that I have no sympathy.

Personally, I have never been able to sleep on any flight, day or night, and the last thing I need is an afternoon nap on a daytime flight when I would rather read or watch a movie. Besides, I'm not old enough for a nap yet.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:44 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
My thoughts exactly!! The flight crew sets the rules and everyone is supposed to follow them, regardless of how stupid they may be or how much one paid for his or her seat. In this case, the OP should have told a crew member and the crew member should have corrected the passenger. I do understand if one is feeling sick and needs to see out, but other than that I have no sympathy.

Personally, I have never been able to sleep on any flight, day or night, and the last thing I need is an afternoon nap on a daytime flight when I would rather read or watch a movie. Besides, I'm not old enough for a nap yet.
LOL ... yes! I am laughing at posts that are saying - my window seat, my rules! These people dont know what they are talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel