Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 PM

679 posts, read 813,250 times

Advertisements

Mexico, California, and any big city in the eastern half of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
Anthing with an active US State Department travel warning.

Any place where the primary draw is 'The Beach". I live five miles and one reasonable toll bridge fare from a perfectly lovely beach that typically has swimmable water temperatures from mid March until early November. Why should I pay thousands of dollars to get a small variation on what I've already got just past my backyard?

Hawaii is actually on my to-do list because I'd love to explore a place with such temperate big mountain areas, not because of the beaches there.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,115,658 times
India. I'm afraid I would get sick from the food, unsanitary conditions, heat, etc.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,738,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Any place where the primary draw is 'The Beach".
I am with you on this. If the advertisement for a tourist destination is all images of the blue sea and beaches, and shows nothing without the sea/pools, then I will pass. Nothing is more boring than that.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,392,584 times
China and Australia are on my "no go" lists. China just seems like an unpleasant place to visit based on tales from friends who have gone there and my research (Mongolia though... different story), and in Australia there are simply too many things in the natural world there that want to kill you.

I remember telling an Australian a story that involved me being barefoot in my father's yard in New Jersey and he was aghast. He asked if I really didn't wear any shoes in the backyard, and I said on occasion. He said it was too dangerous where he was from. Poisonous octopii, venomous snakes, deadly jellyfish, crocodiles, killer sharks... Heck, even the adorable platypii have venomous barbs on their legs!

Russia and Japan would be on my "no go" lists, but they have some amazing natural wonders/wildernesses that I reserve the right to visit. I'm not a fan of the culture of either. My friends who have traveled to Russia have not enjoyed it, and while I know a lot of people who love Japan, I just would feel awkward there - so many rituals and unspoken rules that I just don't understand. I'm just too socially feral.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:15 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times
The entire middle east, just too dangerous and filled with people who hate me for my religion and nationality. Very sad because of all the fascinating history there. Also I would not travel to Russia, China, North Korea because of their huge problems with safety, their politics and of course the massive human rights abuses heaped upon their people by the governments of those nations. I once would have had Cuba on that list but they have seemed to be moderating toward us, so I would be willing to travel there at this point.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
It think it would be impossible to NOT send me anywhere (for two weeks or under, for medical reasons) if you're paying and don't have any requirements for me, and you at least send to me to what would be considered here of Days Inn quality. Except maybe ISIS territory and other warzones.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,519,702 times
They aren't "no go's" but Western Europe, Canada, Australia would be last on my list... not to say they are bad places, i just always wanted to go somewhere more foreign and exotic.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:36 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,427,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For whatever reason, some people just hate the idea of visiting certain places. Some people simply refuse to go to developing countries, some hate to visit big cities such as Paris or New York, many don't want to go to any mountains. For myself, the one place I absolutely refuse to go to is the Caribbean's.

Are there any places you (maybe irrationally) refuse to visit over the years?

No need to respond if you intend to say something like "all places are beautiful and unique in their own ways and I am willing to visit anywhere given the chance". This post is more about eccentricities of people.
I don't know about refusing but I have little to no urge to bother to go to any of the places where women are stoned/abused for not wearing a bedsheet over their entire body all day. No thanks!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,953 times
I have no desire to return to any country in the Middle East. We went to one of those countries last year and to say we felt uncomfortable and disliked would be an understatement. No thanks, there are way way way more places I want to go before I die. I believe in spending my tourist dollars in places where they dont hate us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel