Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:18 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So you can't take the heat for being criticized when you had other options, you just refused to consider them?
Some people, i tell ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:21 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I recently switched seats so that an elderly couple could sit together with another elderly relative on a flight back from Germany. As an experienced traveler, I would go so far as to say it is rude to refuse to switch seats. For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better. It is not always easy to get seats together, and many times the airline will switch seats so you don't always don't get the seat you thought you were going to get.
Admittedly it's been a while but the last time we flew as a family I think we didn't get our seating assignments until we got to the airport and checked in. Two seats were together and the other two were just random. I put the youngest with me and hubbs and daughter sat next to strangers.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:23 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
But, IME, this is why families want to be seated together in the first place!! I know posters mentioned teenagers, etc. but I bet most of the time it's families with younger kids who want to be able to tag-team and entertain and distract their kids!
I think in MOST instances that is the case. Sure there are the occasional adults or teenagers who might ask but it shouldn't be a crime to ask...

Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,400 times
Quote:
Did you bother to go to the back and see if anyone wanted to switch?
Oh my goodness!! Ha! I can just imagine trying to make it all the way to the back of the plane, with people boarding and putting their bags in the overhead bins, to try to negotiate with several unrelated people, or another family that has tried to work out their own seating configuration! Lol! And then if I succeeded, we'd all have to fight the crowds back up to the front, gather my kids and bags, and go back again! No flight I've been on in the last 14 years would even consider putting up with those shenanigans!!

I have had the flight attendant graciously broker such arrangements, however

Old 06-11-2015, 01:32 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think in MOST instances that is the case. Sure there are the occasional adults or teenagers who might ask but it shouldn't be a crime to ask...
Completely agree! We switch for other travelers and ask others to switch for us all the time! Most people are glad to do it

My husband even volunteers to sit next to babies and small children when he's traveling for business because he knows how awful people can act when we travel with our small children!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:42 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Completely agree! We switch for other travelers and ask others to switch for us all the time! Most people are glad to do it

My husband even volunteers to sit next to babies and small children when he's traveling for business because he knows how awful people can act when we travel with our small children!
That's interesting. I'm a pretty patient guy and don't mind the bumping and noise that goes along with little people, as long as the parents are trying their best. I also don't mind sitting near or next to little ones.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Quote:
I won't help people with luggage. if they can't put it into the overhead on their own, or don't have a traveling companion to take care of it, they need to check it. I'm not going to risk injuring myself because someone chooses to pack their rock collection in their carry on.
It's not always the case of a person overpacking. I am under 5 feet. While I can very often easily lift my carry-on into the overhead bin it often shifts or is moved. If it's moved to the back (and it often is) there is absolutely no way for me to get it unless I stand on the seat and do some clever acrobatics. I once had this experience while the guy behind me huffed and puffed because he couldn't get off. All he had to do with his long arms was reach it and bring it to the front for me. No lifting involved.

Please don't suggest that because I am short I should not be allowed to bring a carry-on. My carry-on is ALWAYS undersized and light weight.

To T. Damon and others that kindly help people get stuff down from the overhead bins--thank you! My H does the same when we travel together which is most of the time.

To the original question--Maybe--depends on the circumstances. I often sit in the middle seat when traveling with my H. Again, given my size, it's not as uncomfortable for me as it is for some people.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
I would if I can have a similar seat. Say I have a window seat (I don't like having to stand up for everyone) I want to still have a window seat. If it is a trade for a window seat to an aisle or a middle seat, I'd like some compensation for it. FYI, I do hate kicking seats. I've had it enough with Disney movies even if it is at a weird hour on an off-day.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's not always the case of a person overpacking. I am under 5 feet. While I can very often easily lift my carry-on into the overhead bin it often shifts or is moved. If it's moved to the back (and it often is) there is absolutely no way for me to get it unless I stand on the seat and do some clever acrobatics. I once had this experience while the guy behind me huffed and puffed because he couldn't get off. All he had to do with his long arms was reach it and bring it to the front for me. No lifting involved.

Please don't suggest that because I am short I should not be allowed to bring a carry-on. My carry-on is ALWAYS undersized and light weight.

To T. Damon and others that kindly help people get stuff down from the overhead bins--thank you! My H does the same when we travel together which is most of the time.

To the original question--Maybe--depends on the circumstances. I often sit in the middle seat when traveling with my H. Again, given my size, it's not as uncomfortable for me as it is for some people.
Again, if you can't take care of it yourself, check it. I have no way of knowing if grannies bag is eight pounds or 48. And I'm not going to offer to help to find out it's 48. It is not my job or responsibility or liability or health to lift your bag for you. You can bring a carry on--one that you can stow.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:32 PM

464 posts, read 803,990 times
I did, twice. The first time was from SATX to CHI and the father of the group had the flight attendant bring me a couple of drinks on him!

The second time was from JFK-ORLY and due to no more coach class, I was "bumped" into 1st class. That was tough to deal with (sarcasm intended)

So in general, yes, I'd switch if traveling alone as I was. And both times, the flight attendants brought my carry-on to a bin nearest me. All in all, very good experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel