Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They will not put a toddler alone in that circumstance. They will either try to move people around at the back of the plane or take you and your child off and put you on the next available flight.

Why do parents think the world revolves around them?
Or what happened to me once: After trying for a little while to find seats for a woman to sit next to her young child, the flight attendant made an announcement: "Somebody needs to move to accommodate this mother and child. This plane is not moving from the gate until that happens."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 07:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Or what happened to me once: After trying for a little while to find seats for a woman to sit next to her young child, the flight attendant made an announcement: "Somebody needs to move to accommodate this mother and child. This plane is not moving from the gate until that happens."
that's stupid. It is not that like the child would die from not sitting next to his mother. It is very disrespectful to other passengers who pay for the fare. The world shouldn't circle around people with kids.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Sounds like something Frontier would do. And I guarantee you that chick was fired.

I once had a situation where we were on the tarmac - US Airways, I believe - couldn't take off and we were sitting there at least 30 minutes. Some people had to go to the bathroom (ticks me off that they couldn't have done that just before boarding, but whatever), some people stood to stretch, and the flight attendant gets on the speaker and yells, "WE NEED EVERYONE IN THEIR SEATS WITH THEIR SEAT BUCKLES FASTENED OR WE'RE NOT TAKING OFF!"

Err, we're not taking off anyway, so what's it matter?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
So the plane doesn't move. The other option is to take off the mother and child. Which is the appropriate course of action.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Sounds like something Frontier would do. And I guarantee you that chick was fired.

I once had a situation where we were on the tarmac - US Airways, I believe - couldn't take off and we were sitting there at least 30 minutes. Some people had to go to the bathroom (ticks me off that they couldn't have done that just before boarding, but whatever), some people stood to stretch, and the flight attendant gets on the speaker and yells, "WE NEED EVERYONE IN THEIR SEATS WITH THEIR SEAT BUCKLES FASTENED OR WE'RE NOT TAKING OFF!"

Err, we're not taking off anyway, so what's it matter?
Sometimes there isn't time to go to the bathroom if you are connecting and the inbound arrived late and you had to do the OJ sprint to get the connecting flight to begin with.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Some of you sound like you hope to be on a flight where this happens just so you can have the pleasure of saying no!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Some of you sound like you hope to be on a flight where this happens just so you can have the pleasure of saying no!
I will move if it's within F or to a more desirable seat in economy. I won't (and haven't) moved to a less desirable seat.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:10 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Having done the 'nice' thing, moved seats, got a worse seat and having got zero thanks for it, now I will only move if the seat I am getting is as good or better.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:21 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's stupid. It is not that like the child would die from not sitting next to his mother. It is very disrespectful to other passengers who pay for the fare. The world shouldn't circle around people with kids.
And you are prepared to take on the responsibility of caring for a toddler randomly seated next to you?

I can't believe anyone thinks it's fine to kick a parent and child off the plane over this. You do realize that it's very likely the parent booked the ticket specifically requesting that they be seated next to their young child and they have no control over the fact that the airline changed the seat assignments?

I do think it's ok to make sure someone giving up their seat gets a comparable or better seat and isn't expected to move from a front of the plane aisle seat to a back of the plane middle. But I've never been on a plane where a couple of simple switches didn't sort it out, assuming people are reasonable and not ridiculous about it.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Part of the Issue is if it does not cost the airline anything to "fix it" the issue it caused, they won't fix it.

If the flight is 10 minutes late leaving the gate, that has a cost.

Unknown is how the airline tracks internal how a late gate push is tracked, Odds are they don't track family could not sit together as a reason. It would probably be tracked as passenger(s) ejected from the plane, but that could be for any of a number of reasons.

The time the gate staff spend re-booking them, and the value of losing the seats what went out empty, the cost of the seats on later flight that now might be bumping someone else from that flight, or being able to sell them at a walk up fare, are all lost in "noise" finance of running the airline.

Software wise for the airline to put families in seats somewhat together, even on a re-book can be done, They have the information to do it in the passenger records. They just need to spend the $'s to do it.

May not be perfect, but they can put a "Adult(ish)" next to a Younger family member ( Adult = over 12? Child under 12? ) It might mean more Gate Seat selection to do that, to keep some part of the back of the plane open for missed connection so they can have few rows that are not assigned till the end. And that has a cost to it, to assign seat at the very end also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel