Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've only done it once because I got bumped to first class. While the leg room was nice, the people were so pretentious I would rather not do it again.
Seriously? How did you have enough interaction with them to know they are pretentious? You are on a plane, not at a party. You only have any real contact with the person sitting next to you, and most of the time, they are wrapped up in their iPad, laptop, or newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 01:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Seriously? How did you have enough interaction with them to know they are pretentious? You are on a plane, not at a party. You only have any real contact with the person sitting next to you, and most of the time, they are wrapped up in their iPad, laptop, or newspaper.
They were very snotty in even minor intersections such as asking to move so I could use the lavatory.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:29 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I've never done it but if we were flying overseas I would definitely consider it..

Old 06-20-2015, 03:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
United are charging a return BusinessFirst flight from here to Newark for $1500 that is a great deal. Don't know where these people are getting the crazy prices from.

Flying Business is the same. On United there is NO difference.
The trans-Pacific prices quoted are typical or on the low side. DUB EWR for $1500 is great. If you have little flexibility about when or where to fly, it's hard to get those prices.

After a month of shopping and negotiating I got ORD LHR for $3700 (round trip) in lie-flat business class on American and considered it a good deal.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:32 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Quote:
I've only done it once because I got bumped to first class. While the leg room was nice, the people were so pretentious I would rather not do it again.
We had to walk through First class last summer due to the jetbridge. The looks we got were disgusting, noting that most people do not pay for First class.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:33 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The trans-Pacific prices quoted are typical or on the low side. DUB EWR for $1500 is great. If you have little flexibility about when or where to fly, it's hard to get those prices.

After a month of shopping and negotiating I got ORD LHR for $3700 (round trip) in lie-flat business class on American and considered it a good deal.
I paid $1000 one way which I think is good. From here the First class is affordable, nowhere near double figures. No one would pay that.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
I have never flown first class... I could never see the benefit of paying the 110-130% up-charge mentioned in the OP. In fact, until reading this, I always thought the up-charge was even greater than that.

So, what is it you get for the added expense (other than the wider seat)? What is it about 25" vs. 17.5 in the back?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have never flown first class... I could never see the benefit of paying the 110-130% up-charge mentioned in the OP. In fact, until reading this, I always thought the up-charge was even greater than that.

So, what is it you get for the added expense (other than the wider seat)? What is it about 25" vs. 17.5 in the back?
- more leg room
- a much, much better seat, it is like a recliner basically
- better food, wine, frequent drinks, snacks, etc
- board first, get off first
- luggage allowance is more

That is it in a nutshell, and no, it is not worth the price in my opinion, not for what a short amount of time a person actually spends on a flight. And while complaints about economy seats are accurate, the modern entertainment systems and the food is outstanding in my opinion. Get economy plus and your leg room problems are solved, or see just how much leg room is standard in the specific flight you are taking, as they can be different.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Pretentious? I'm guessing it was your perception rather than the truth. I was in first on a red eye last night. We got on, and I'm guessing the majority were sleeping within 10 minutes of take off. I'm not sure, because I didn't make it that long. I have never met anyone who slept "pretentiously."

Old 06-22-2015, 12:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
We had to walk through First class last summer due to the jetbridge. The looks we got were disgusting, noting that most people do not pay for First class.
Unless there was something that really stood out about you (you hadn't bathed in a few days or were dressed in a way that really drew attention to yourself) I highly doubt anyone gave you a second glance, let alone a disgusting look. On most planes everyone needs to walk through first to get to their seats. There are only a few that first turns left while the others turn right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel