Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 PM

656 posts, read 813,821 times

Advertisements

It's far away and expensive...duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
More Americans visit England than other Europeans do (with the exception of French). American tourists flood the Windsor Castle and Kensington Palace in summer.
I don't know if that is true, as the total Visits to UK from the entire EU dwarfs Amercan visitors.

Americans - 2018 - European Union
261 Jan 1,602
218 Feb 1,673
293 Mar 2,148
373 Apr 2,331
457 May 2,382
534 June 1,892
698 July 2,256
482 Aug 2,405
454 Sep 1,842
470 Oct 2,110
300 Nov 2,080
210 Dec 1,990

Although it looks like Americans do favor London. However, on a per inhabitant basis Australia is much higher than the USA.

US/AUS =2322/600 = 3.87 whereas USA is much more than 3.87 times the population of Australia. The ratio of populatios is closer to 13:1

Old 04-03-2019, 06:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But I was more referring to Americans (or American residents) flying to say, China... well, many are visiting family. I was just wondering if people would consider that being a tourist. It's travelling, obviously, but not tourism to me. Others might view it different. I don't think the number of travelers to a location from a location is a 1 to 1 proxy for tourism numbers.
Of course you're right about tourist versus visitor, but it's an irrelevant distinction to the point being made since the same can be said for the other countries OP was claiming had far more tourists traveling. Canada and Australia both have significant Chinese populations, so I see no reason to assume their visitors are any more pure tourists than USA. Bottom line if there are a lot more Americans visiting China than Canadians or Aussies it's a safe bet there are a lot more doing it for tourism.

As for Thailand, come on seriously? Sure there Thais living in USA but it's nothing in numbers like the Chinese or Vietnamese communities. Most people are going to Thailand for a cheap vacation with beaches, templs, and good food.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
But for other more exotic places like Japan, most Americans are not interested. U.S. sent fewer tourists to Japan than even Hong Kong did.
For someone from Hong Kong a trip to Japan costs $100 for a four hour direct flight, clearly that's not a reasonable comparison to a potential tourist from USA in price and time to declare one is more interested in intl travel.

That's like pointing out a lot more Colombians visit Costa Rica than Japanese, to prove the Japanese aren't interested in exotic places like Costa Rica. One could also note Asians traveling in Asia is similar to North Americans traveling in North America or the Caribbean, there is a different comfort level for someone from HK thrown into a another large Asian city where even if they can't speak the language they can read some of the signs. Exotic has a lot of gray area in definition.

Last edited by lieqiang; 04-03-2019 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Same.. I am going to Belgium from the West Coast RT for barely 500 here in a couple of weeks. There have been a lot of flights to Spain for 380 RT recently.
We recently bought a $200 one way from Boston to Madrid. Our destination is Lisbon but such a good flight we'll just a spend a few days playing tourist in Madrid then take a bus to Lisbon.

Some amazing deals out there.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Most Americans don't even do domestic travel. Try ask someone you know if he has been to Yellowstone? Or has he been to Hawaii? Maybe one out of ten.

Many Americans do travel a lot. Many have repeatedly gone to the Caribbean. More Americans visit England than other Europeans do (with the exception of French). American tourists flood the Windsor Castle and Kensington Palace in summer. I wonder, if we are so fond of the the Royal Legacy, why did we fight for independence?

But for other more exotic places like Japan, most Americans are not interested. U.S. sent fewer tourists to Japan than even Hong Kong did.
Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world and it is extremely far away and expensive to reach. It is about 4 hours away from Hong Kong, which is one of the most expensive cities in the world, so not a big stretch for the local inhabitants of Hong Kong. I don’t think it is a fair comparison to say that Americans aren’t interested in going to exotic destinations because they don’t want to visit super expensive destinations halfway around the globe. The nonstops from where I live are usually somewhere between $1500-1600 and the flights with stops usually take at least 19 hours to get to Narita. Travel within Japan is also very expensive. There are a lot of places to visit that are exotic but cheaper.

In contrast, flights to London can be very inexpensive and you can get there from several east coast cities in 7-8 hours. That is an easier trip than going to Hawaii, even. It is very inconvenient and going to Caribbean destinations is much easier for people on the east coast than going to Hawaii.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Many of these threads started about why Americans don’t travel are not about meaningful discussion, but more of a a vehicle for the OP to let us know where they’ve traveled. It is a thinly disguised brag masquerading as a thoughtful topic.

Those with possessions have something that speaks for itself, while those who travel have to talk about it about so others may know. People who need to feel superior with what they own or where they travel are just different sides of the same coin.
Yup. Except if you talk about your possessions, you’re a braggart. If you talk about your travel, you’re considered superior to those who don’t. I’ve never understood it.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:08 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
I think you are wrong. More than half of the folks I personally know, have traveled outside the U.S.. that includes my parents, my siblings, my son, my BF....and every single co-worker I have.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
We have 50 states and some of them are like California where you have a life time worth of adventures.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:08 AM

19 posts, read 12,571 times
I could traveI I just never even think about it I live in NYC and I feel like if you can't find it here it doesn't exist,besides everyone comes here anyway I meet models from Tokyo,Club barons from Moscow,college kids from Austria.I meet a few Americans but they usually have kids in college here or one that moved here for a job.

This question comes up alot thought.I read alot of answers.mostly comes down to Americans just don't have the time or money.The American continent is huge it's easier and cheaper to travel whithin USA you can even include Mexico and Canada.

Americans like personal space and driving things you don't get much of in many countries.

Personally there's a few places I'm interested in going to.Kenya,Nigeria,Tokyo,Seoul,Mexico City Port Au Prince,Rome,Paris,But I really have no reason to go.Theres google Earth and my friends who do go have stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel