Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
BTW I live in Queens, lived in Brooklyn & also 2 different Long Island suburban counties & spent 20+ years working in Manhattan. You statement is ridiculous, anyone with eyes can confirm that.
I'm 70 years old, and I visited NYC for the first time when I was 15. I fell in love with it and have been there a total of 9 times now. It's my favorite U.S. city and probably always will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm 70 years old, and I visited NYC for the first time when I was 15. I fell in love with it and have been there a total of 9 times now. It's my favorite U.S. city and probably always will be.
I'm 67yo & spent 5 years in SLC area & really liked it, just like NYC it has its pluses & minuses but a beautiful area that should be enjoyed for what is actually is, not what somebody's attitude about what it should be. I in fact just got back from a 2 week vacation in St George/Ivins area.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:44 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I'm surprised so many have included Rome in the top. I haven't been, but everyone I've talked to who has been there in recent years has been HIGHLY disappointed. My sister called it the biggest disappointment of Italy.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Paris, New York and London are must-visit cities for every single human being in the whole world
do you mean the whole world (including the caribbean, sub-saharan africa, southeast asia, middle-east, ...);or, just north/south america, europe, australia, ... ?

i would think many persons from other continents simply dont care.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Moscow, Rome and Istanbul were equally as impressive to me as the OP's 3.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:33 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Yeah they are all great cities. Plenty of other ones as well.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:35 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm surprised so many have included Rome in the top. I haven't been, but everyone I've talked to who has been there in recent years has been HIGHLY disappointed. My sister called it the biggest disappointment of Italy.
Why was Rome disappointing?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:13 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Please stay away from NYC.

On Wednesday I couldn't believe the number of tourist pulling suitcase who didn't know how to walk down a street.

NYC has Central Park, The New York Botanical Gardens, The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park in Washington Heights. All spectacular.

The best museums - The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Whitney, The Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim and the American Museum of Natural History.

There is Metropolitan Opera, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center with New York Philharmonic and the NY City Ballet founded by George Balanchine.

However, a lot of NY has changed BECAUSE of tourism.

New York’s flower district, more than 100 years old and a home mostly to wholesalers, used to thrive like a jungle along Sixth Avenue. Now it is concentrated in just one block of West 28th Street.

Long said to be on its way out because of a changing industry and continually rising rents in Chelsea, its surrounding neighborhood, the district could be saved, at least symbolically, from the very thing threatening its existence: gentrification.

In between the shops offering garden accessories and roses or ferns in bulk, several trendy hotels have recently opened on the block. Instead of pushing out the local shops, they are relying on the uniqueness of the flower district to lure visitors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/n...ct-hotels.html

So do us a favor, hate NYC a little more so we can be more than a tourist stop with trendy hotels. We are becoming a DisneyWorld instead of a living city.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Why was Rome disappointing?
I was in Rome 18 months ago. It was disappointing because it is so touristy. Less like a place real Italians lived. Years ago, it seemed more culturally Italian.

Not as bad as Venice which has almost no Italians left. A friend went last year and said the restaurants were all run by foreigners.

St. Petersburg is suppose to be great. I loved Krakow but I haven't seen it in forty years, so don't know what it is like today.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I worked in one of them for 40 years and visited the other two in 2015.

I personally agree with the OP, 'though I wouldn't tell anybody else that they would love what I loved.

Didn't expect to like Paris much, but when I got there, I understood. I only had two nights there, and to me the best part was the evening walking tour through Montmartre and then the late supper at a cafe where I ate this:

and watched as people walked by, and could see other people out on the sidewalks having their dinner.

I had four nights in London, and I expected to love it and loved it even more than I expected, but I'm a bit of a medieval English historical fiction fan, so...I was in LONDON, and all the places from the books are STILL THERE. I also loved the bus system for getting around. Plus London has really good vegetarian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel