Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I need some help! A couple days ago I received a negative review from my Airbnb host in Italy; I quite frankly feel shocked and insulted by what she had to say about me. The host NEVER communicated any issues with me neither during nor immediately after my stay until she wrote me this review. I travel often and I am concerned with this review affecting me making future bookings; although I must add that I have 12 other reviews from hosts and they are all nothing but positive.

Here is what she wrote about me below:

In addition she had this to say about me in her private comments:

I do not recall making such a mess; if I was aware that I did of course I would have cleaned it up. If I did make the mess she describes it must have been in the middle of the night with the lights off, hence I would have been unaware there was a mess.

I am insulted because she never took the time to tell me during my stay that I was making too much noise, which by the way, were minor noises of closing the bedroom door all the way (which she even TOLD me upon check in was a bit complicated) and walking to and from the bathroom. NO loud music, NO partying. She didn't take just a moment of her time to tell me or write to me that I was being too loud at night. If she did, I would have made the effort to be quieter. It is only when she wrote the review that I learned of her issues with me.

Which is a real shame because I wrote her a glowing review.

What should I do? Should I attempt to have thr review redacted or removed? Call Airbnb and express my concerns? I want to write a response, but I'm not sure how to word it and what I should include.

Thanks!
I know that people stay at Air B n B's to save money. I don't spend lavishly on trips. However, its never occurred to me to not stay in at least some modest hotel wherever I am.

The OP is pointing out the pitfalls of the whole Air B n B thing. You are probably dirtier and more of an inconvenience than you realize. Your host is probably less happy to host you than you imagine. Its a matter of perspective and how open people are to express themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Your private information on a guest as a host only goes to Airbnb admin. With over 300 stays we have only had a handful of guests we would not be interested in hosting again. These were individuals who broke items and didn't report it, lied about the number of people staying or did damage to the property. Our reviews were professional but reflected our experience as hosts. We never heard from any of these guests again nor did they ever show up on our reservation list. We did not bad-mouth them to other hosts. We did answer confidential questions and say we didn't want them back. I would imagine our listings won't show up in their searches.

If you leave a review and your guests or host don't you can see it after 14 days.
Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I'm gonna have to say this is either an unfortunate anomaly with a crappy host or OP really was that inconsiderate. I've stayed at Airbnb listings of all different types - entire home to ourselves, shared bathroom, etc. Haven't had much of an issue over the course of roughly 50 stays so far in the past few years, except for one negative experience (not related to OP). Don't treat it like you'd treat a hotel room and respect the place like it's your own home - it's not that hard.

Can't say I've ever had a host expect me to do household chores. Abstaining from peeing on a toilet seat (or cleaning up after if it does happen) is not a "chore" LOL.

LMAO good lawdy what type of first world problem is that? If I want drunk food, I'll hit up one of the hot dog carts that hangs out by the bars/clubs.

Because they feel like making money on an extra room? Why do you care, if you don't want to use it? Hate to burst your bubble, but Airbnb isn't going away anytime soon. Spending a buttload of money on an overpriced hotel room doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me .

I've yet to see an exorbitant amount of house rules. What exists pretty much boils down to "be decent and respectful". How is that such a difficult mindset to navigate?
Anecdotal. I'm sharing an account of precisely the type of host that you have never encountered. Of course you'd think they're all so simple.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Anecdotal. I'm sharing an account of precisely the type of host that you have never encountered. Of course you'd think they're all so simple.
Oh so you've encountered a lot of hosts like that? Assuming they exist, my actual experience stated in my post must be extremely lucky in not coming across them. If you don't normally like to use Airbnb, is what you're saying actually a prevelant thing?

Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Oh so you've encountered a lot of hosts like that? Assuming they exist, my actual experience stated in my post must be extremely lucky in not coming across them. If you don't normally like to use Airbnb, is what you're saying actually a prevelant thing?
It is in fact the reason why I no longer use such a service.

I am not in disagreement that other travelers completely overlook things that bother me. If a deal-breaker for me is not a big deal to them, they will have a good experience.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaSeo View Post
Well, most men are clueless as to what constitutes a clean bathroom. They never think of the splashback that comes from urinating while standing up. The host might have been a clean freak and you just irritated her by doing that.
In a few countries they teach young boys to pee “ sitting” in order to avoid the situation the OP was in.
No mess!

Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
How about in your response you apologize and thank the host for the feedback. State that you didn't realize you were causing such issues and say that you will be sure to be quieter and cleaner in the future.
This is probably your best option for cleaning up your AirBnB reputation. You have no way of knowing if her other reviews are like this. Maybe she disses all her customers. There are just some people in the world for whom the glass is always gonna be half empty.

IMHO if you are going to run an AirBnB, you need to expect that people will get up in the night and their presence might be noticeable. If a host is a light sleeper, get some earplugs.

And honestly? Whats the worst that can happen? You get rejected by a potential host? You'll find another place to stay.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:27 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
How about in your response you apologize and thank the host for the feedback. State that you didn't realize you were causing such issues and say that you will be sure to be quieter and cleaner in the future.
This.

You were a gross guest.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
This is why you should always sit on the toilet in the middle of the night, rather than standing. If you are half asleep, you may not notice you are making a mess, or have the lid down.
Toilet seat would be clean but the floor might be a little wet. Maybe a lot wet.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:53 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaSeo View Post
Well, most men are clueless as to what constitutes a clean bathroom. They never think of the splashback that comes from urinating while standing up. The host might have been a clean freak and you just irritated her by doing that.
In my house, by my husband's decree, all men sit to pee. Bathroom is a lot cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel