Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 07:43 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times

Advertisements

We'll be on a sailboat in the BVIs in late May. I think we'll be okay.

However, my 25-year-old daughter just alit in London this morning. I told her to wipe down her hotel room thoroughly and not lick any railings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 12:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
However, my 25-year-old daughter just alit in London this morning. I told her to wipe down her hotel room thoroughly and not lick any railings.

Way to be a party kill, dad.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Keep us posted on Ireland please -- I am scheduled for a trip in mid May. I feel as if they are at the beginning of this virus surge -- sort of where the US was 2 weeks ago.
I hope you're planning on going to a British country for your return flight now that Trump has banned travel from Europe. Or did he mean mainland Europe? He said the UK could fly here.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:19 AM

638 posts, read 594,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hope you're planning on going to a British country for your return flight now that Trump has banned travel from Europe. Or did he mean mainland Europe? He said the UK could fly here.
Firstly no american or green card holder is banned from returning home, though they have to fly back from approved airports with temperature scanning.

Secondly the only countries affected by the ban are Schengen zone countries (of which Ireland is not)

Thirdly, if Ireland did happen to be in the Schengen zone, and the traveller were NOT a US citizen they wouldnt be able to fly from Ireland to the uk to get a flight, travellers are banned if they've been to a Schengen zone country in the previous 14 days.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Just cancelled my trip to Germany leaving tomorrow. A person we were travelling with did have trip insurance, but cancelling is only covered IF he actually has COVID19.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,212,300 times
Hoping you frequent travelers can give me your opinions...

My mother had heart surgery this week and I am supposed to visit with her next week. Leaving PBI (Florida) to DFW (Dallas) on Saturday and returning on the 21st.

I do have one of those "at risk" health conditions, but I'm reasonably healthy and really not too worried about getting the virus. I am, however, very concerned that someone else will have it and I will end up in quarantine.

I booked American Airlines on 3/6 so can't cancel without a fee.

What would you do?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:14 AM

16,424 posts, read 12,529,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Hoping you frequent travelers can give me your opinions...

My mother had heart surgery this week and I am supposed to visit with her next week. Leaving PBI (Florida) to DFW (Dallas) on Saturday and returning on the 21st.

I do have one of those "at risk" health conditions, but I'm reasonably healthy and really not too worried about getting the virus. I am, however, very concerned that someone else will have it and I will end up in quarantine.

What would you do?
I would be more concerned about putting your mother at risk.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would be more concerned about putting your mother at risk.
Good point, I did think about that too.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:56 AM

16,424 posts, read 12,529,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I suspect that American will change their policy to better align with Delta and United (anything purchased in March can be changed with no fee). I'm surprised they haven't yet, TBH. Give it a few days. Then call them a day or two before your scheduled trip. But be prepared to be on hold a REALLY long time.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I suspect that American will change their policy to better align with Delta and United (anything purchased in March can be changed with no fee). I'm surprised they haven't yet, TBH. Give it a few days. Then call them a day or two before your scheduled trip. But be prepared to be on hold a REALLY long time.

Thank you! As of about an hour ago (last I checked), they have offered to cancel with no penalty for anything bought before March 1. Unfortunately, my trip is Saturday. I'm waiting to see what happens today and maybe tomorrow.

My husband says we'll take the loss on the cost if we have too. It's not an easy loss to swallow, but there are some things that are just more important than money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel