Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 08:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,800,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why are people still talking about 14-day quarantines when evidence shows the incubation period can be up to 27 days?
The guidelines should be increased since it’s not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 12:43 PM

16,136 posts, read 10,814,743 times
We flew Albuquerque to Chicago to London on Sunday; the plane was empty enough that many people had empty seats next to them. One of our return flights was canceled and rescheduled for lack of passengers. This will likely be an economic crisis more than a health crisis if this continues.
Face masks are uncommon even on the street or underground. Saw a lady on the train coming back from Hampton Court with one. There were a hundred or more school kids going through the palace - no problem, no masks. Seems like it isn’t a panic here in London.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,912,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
My experience is one can secure hotel reservations, with no up front charge, but a cc # to secure. They will charge your card - hotel dependent - anywhere from one to two weeks before the beginning of your stay. Set up a reminder of charge dates, adding one week, with daily repeat so you give yourself plenty of head room to cancel without charge.
Also another general trick - if you are too late to cancel your reservation (fee applies), you may call to push the reservation to a later date, then subsequently call to cancel that to avoid the penalty.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:45 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,188,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We flew Albuquerque to Chicago to London on Sunday; the plane was empty enough that many people had empty seats next to them. One of our return flights was canceled and rescheduled for lack of passengers. This will likely be an economic crisis more than a health crisis if this continues.
Face masks are uncommon even on the street or underground. Saw a lady on the train coming back from Hampton Court with one. There were a hundred or more school kids going through the palace - no problem, no masks. Seems like it isn’t a panic here in London.
Awesome, I'm going LAX to London Thursday/Friday so fingers crossed to the empty seats!

Old 03-03-2020, 06:03 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,562,609 times
I was going to take one of my parents to Japan for the peak bloom of the cherry blossoms, but ended up canceling since they’re in the high risk category (late 70s w/pre-existing conditions). Airline ended up waiving any change fees (but we have to use the credits within a year) and hotel cancellation was pretty straightforward since we were pretty far from the deadline.

We’ll probably end up going to Washington DC instead, but it was still pretty disappointing.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I was going to take one of my parents to Japan for the peak bloom of the cherry blossoms, but ended up canceling since they’re in the high risk category (late 70s w/pre-existing conditions).....

We’ll probably end up going to Washington DC instead, but it was still pretty disappointing.
You may end up with equal health risk in DC for blossom fest. That is REALLY crowded. I have only seen crowds like that at Tokyo train station, not in Japanese countryside.

I would find a nice quiet beautiful blossoming rural location for 2020 season. (There are many options since we have had such warm mild winter)

Old 03-04-2020, 07:44 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,924,625 times
Interestingly my wife booked a Mediterranean trip for Spain, France, Italy and a couple of other countries in the region early last year. Worried about the coronavirus and having issues with canceling isn’t a problem. Although we had travel insurance for the trip with cancel for any reason; an email just arrived today from Viking Travel indicating they were offering a later date trip voucher good for two years if any of “their” customers chose to cancel their upcoming trip. The only requirement was that they needed to be notified 24hrs prior to the scheduled air transportation. The Viking customer would then be given a voucher good for two years to any destination of their choice that Viking was offering. This speaks highly of the company for making that offer to their travelers who worry about health issues at this time. Travel insurance or not Viking appears to have their customer’s peace of mind in their best interest. I will always recommend a company like this to others not only for their good services but for the actions they took today associated with the travel cancellations.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 AM

5,203 posts, read 3,130,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Interestingly my wife booked a Mediterranean trip for Spain, France, Italy and a couple of other countries in the region early last year. Worried about the coronavirus and having issues with canceling isn’t a problem. Although we had travel insurance for the trip with cancel for any reason; an email just arrived today from Viking Travel indicating they were offering a later date trip voucher good for two years if any of “their” customers chose to cancel their upcoming trip. The only requirement was that they needed to be notified 24hrs prior to the scheduled air transportation. The Viking customer would then be given a voucher good for two years to any destination of their choice that Viking was offering. This speaks highly of the company for making that offer to their travelers who worry about health issues at this time. Travel insurance or not Viking appears to have their customer’s peace of mind in their best interest. I will always recommend a company like this to others not only for their good services but for the actions they took today associated with the travel cancellations.
You realize that the voucher they’re offering is an interest-free loan to the travel company? I give them credit for being proactive in the face of a coming collapse in traffic across all sectors of the travel, service and entertainment industries. Major venues are cancelling events, restaurants in convention areas are empty, and airlines are losing their cash-cow business travelers. I heard that major cruise lines are meeting with VP Pence this weekend — weird?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:34 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,930,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Major venues are cancelling events, restaurants in convention areas are empty, and airlines are losing their cash-cow business travelers. I heard that major cruise lines are meeting with VP Pence this weekend — weird?

Yeah, it's not all about the possibility of getting coronavirus, it's also about if it's worth traveling to a destination where venues are closing.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:19 PM

10,377 posts, read 8,022,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Yeah, it's not all about the possibility of getting coronavirus, it's also about if it's worth traveling to a destination where venues are closing.
Or not being able to return home because flights between the country you're visiting and the US have been shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel