Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 03:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 369,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Nope. It will cover if he catches it, but other than that, no. What I was told is travel insurance doesn't cover fear of getting something. But I bought in case my flights are cancelled or extremely delayed.

Yeah, we're prepared to walk away from the money as my spouse and I are financing the trip. Caution is turning out to be expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 04:37 PM

54 posts, read 41,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My daughter's high school band is supposed to go to Hawaii in late March. Because she got sick 2 days before the last year's trip (and miraculously recovered in time to go), this year I bought cancel for any reason insurance. I am 99% sure I am going to keep her home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I understand the concern but I wouldn't cancel. Hawaii is hot and humid which is not ideal for virus transmission. She is more likely to catch it on the mainland than here (I live on Maui). If you can wait to cancel for any reason, I would wait, see what the situation is in 2-3 weeks.

The concern is understandable, but I still think the risk is low enough that I'd let my daughter go. I would just reiterate the importance of washing her hands, and not sharing a water bottle, etc.

We leave for Kauai next week, and I am not worried at all about being on the island. I am not looking forward to the traveling to and from, but as I always do I will stay hydrated, be a diligent hand washer, and/or sanitizer. A good friend of mine is very OCD about germs, and travels regularly with an array of cleaning supplies she uses on the plane, and again when she gets to her accommodations. When I told her we were leaving for vacation she put together a gift bag. Inside were gloves, masks, hospital grade wipes, gel sanitizer, and plastic headrest covers. We laughed when we opened it, but some of it we will actually use.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,414,379 times
I currently am working at a large, global company. All non-essential international travel was stopped today and on hold until at least April.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,389,741 times
The companies I work for sent out an e-mail today stating that if we go to the country on the list they provided (which I am going to one of them in a few weeks), that we must self-quarantine for TWO WEEKS after that. Sigh.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,499,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I'm heading to Europe Thursday.. I'm hoping for reduced crowds!
You'll definitely have significantly reduced crowds, but you'll also have a lot of closures. France has closed the Louvre following fears of the great risk of virus infection. "On Saturday, the French government banned all indoor gatherings of more than 5,000 people, in an effort to curb the spread of the new coronavirus."

https://www.travelweekly-asia.com/Tr...ding-in-Europe

I'm sure there are more closures elsewhere. So, if it's world famous attractions you want to experience, they may not be available.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:54 AM

11,134 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Quarantine on a Greek Island, may not be a bad idea.
That's what I thought if we get stuck on Rhodes next month. Beach is right there. If we can get there.

But I hope you're not going to Lesvos...the refugees are flooding in by thousands with some violence happening.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:49 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,310,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The companies I work for sent out an e-mail today stating that if we go to the country on the list they provided (which I am going to one of them in a few weeks), that we must self-quarantine for TWO WEEKS after that. Sigh.

Why are people still talking about 14-day quarantines when evidence shows the incubation period can be up to 27 days?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:35 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 19 days ago)

5,768 posts, read 4,763,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why are people still talking about 14-day quarantines when evidence shows the incubation period can be up to 27 days?
You should brief the World Health Organization:

The “incubation period” means the time between catching the virus and beginning to have symptoms of the disease. Most estimates of the incubation period for COVID-19 range from 1-14 days, most commonly around five days. These estimates will be updated as more data become available.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,310,674 times
They are aware of the longer periods observed and are dismissing them as likely "double exposures".

Old 03-03-2020, 08:20 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,820,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's what I thought if we get stuck on Rhodes next month. Beach is right there. If we can get there.

But I hope you're not going to Lesvos...the refugees are flooding in by thousands with some violence happening.
I’m going to Crete and Santorini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel