Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 01:44 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I’m not sure what the extended UK/Ireland ban covers or the effective dates. Is it a ban of all air traffic from the UK, or just return flights? What date does the flight ban end, is in April 12th or April 16th?
Same rules as from Europe. Only US citizens and green card holders are allowed in. Also some corner case people like noncitizen spouses-families and diplomats. 14 day quarantine. In practice, airlines are going to cancel all their flights rather than lose money flying empty planes. It’s nominally for 30 days but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I have a Virgin Atlantic LHR-BOS ticket on Delta metal and a Delta frequent flyer BOS-LHR ticket on Virgin Atlantic metal in early May. I’m hoping Delta waives the $150 per ticket fee to put the miles back into the Delta program. I’m hoping Delta and Virgin Atlantic get bailed out by the US and British governments or all of that will be worthless. Any airline that doesn’t get bailed out is going to go bankrupt.

I also have Eurostar London-Paris tickets. I presume I will get an eVoucher. Again, without government bailout, that would also probably be worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 05:27 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,080,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Same rules as from Europe. Only US citizens and green card holders are allowed in. Also some corner case people like noncitizen spouses-families and diplomats. 14 day quarantine. In practice, airlines are going to cancel all their flights rather than lose money flying empty planes. It’s nominally for 30 days but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I have a Virgin Atlantic LHR-BOS ticket on Delta metal and a Delta frequent flyer BOS-LHR ticket on Virgin Atlantic metal in early May. I’m hoping Delta waives the $150 per ticket fee to put the miles back into the Delta program. I’m hoping Delta and Virgin Atlantic get bailed out by the US and British governments or all of that will be worthless. Any airline that doesn’t get bailed out is going to go bankrupt.

I also have Eurostar London-Paris tickets. I presume I will get an eVoucher. Again, without government bailout, that would also probably be worthless.
We’re holding outbound tickets for a flight to LHR during the ban, but our return flight is after the ban ends. We also have Aer Lingus tickets we bought to avoid a long ferry ride. I too am hoping they just cancel the flights, but a wink-wink nod-nod undisclosed bailout deal might just let the major airlines keep the flights on the roster and force travelers to take a voucher instead of getting a refund.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:43 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,417,326 times
Scheduled to leave Thursday for Jamaica, family get together 5 couples all on my “dime”. All inclusive resort. We will make a go or no go decision on Monday afternoon. Planned this a year ago. Sucks.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:58 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Scheduled to leave Thursday for Jamaica, family get together 5 couples all on my “dime”. All inclusive resort. We will make a go or no go decision on Monday afternoon. Planned this a year ago. Sucks.
I hear you. Not as extensive as yours but booked a 5 star resort and first class to Cancun in May for my 45th bday. I don't see it happening.

Nothing to do with travel but spent all the money on Celine Dion tickets for 3/24 a year ago. Postponed..

Old 03-15-2020, 02:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
I have vacations booked, air tickets purchased and hotel reserved for a 3 weeks family vacation trip to Australia, but that's in OCTOBER later this year. We plan to stay in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Let's hope things get better ASAP. Glad that I purchased a premium insurance to secure my trip.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:10 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
This may cancel my first flight and last flight. I expected this to be my only trip by air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel