Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 08:31 PM

15,870 posts, read 6,569,892 times

Advertisements

The airline Flybe just folded because of COVID-19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Or not being able to return home because flights between the country you're visiting and the US have been shut down.
Could be a plus if you have get or pay for HC... USA is not affordable or great care. Some other countries are showing to be quite effective in controlling spread and medically treating in such a way to avoid deaths. Some will be indicative of USA (slow and spendy, with so-so results)

Old 03-05-2020, 05:43 AM

16,114 posts, read 10,782,975 times
My experience in London was pleasant with no major concerns (except rain). UK health czar was somewhat reassuring and informative. They say they are more concerned with flu deaths (hundreds of thousands) and that data coming from China shows mortality rates there for sick people 80 or older is 9% so recovery rates are high even among elderly...better for healthy young people.
(Heading to Ireland tomorrow)

Old 03-05-2020, 07:24 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Could be a plus if you have get or pay for HC... USA is not affordable or great care. Some other countries are showing to be quite effective in controlling spread and medically treating in such a way to avoid deaths. Some will be indicative of USA (slow and spendy, with so-so results)
Could go the other way too. I had a relative require weeks of hospitalization overseas. The hospital wouldn't take their US insurance and we ended up paying $40k+ out of pocket. While the insurance company at the time indicated that they would reimburse them for the costs, to this day my relatives have yet to see a penny.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Could go the other way too. I had a relative require weeks of hospitalization overseas. The hospital wouldn't take their US insurance and we ended up paying $40k+ out of pocket. While the insurance company at the time indicated that they would reimburse them for the costs, to this day my relatives have yet to see a penny.

What country is this?

Old 03-05-2020, 08:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,083,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The airline Flybe just folded because of COVID-19.
Hardly. Flybe has been on life support forever. I'm sure they'll try to blame it on the virus but the real disease was in the boardroom.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 AM

130,555 posts, read 12,148,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Hardly. Flybe has been on life support forever. I'm sure they'll try to blame it on the virus but the real disease was in the boardroom.

Well Hubby had a flybe flight booked for May, so we are waiting to hear if it has been rebooked with a different airline. I think the virus was the final nail in the coffin.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:56 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,780,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My experience in London was pleasant with no major concerns (except rain). UK health czar was somewhat reassuring and informative. They say they are more concerned with flu deaths (hundreds of thousands) and that data coming from China shows mortality rates there for sick people 80 or older is 9% so recovery rates are high even among elderly...better for healthy young people.
(Heading to Ireland tomorrow)
What are you using for transportation?

Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post

That's precisely why the hospital didn't take their US insurance. They provide services, they want to get paid. Not a promise to get paid in a few months, maybe, if they are lucky and fight hard enough for it.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:51 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What country is this?
It was a hospital in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's precisely why the hospital didn't take ther US insurance. They provide services, they want to get paid. Not a promise to get paid in a few months, maybe, if they are lucky and fight hard enough for it.
That's why we were recently looking for travel insurance for a trip to Japan, and why I was looking for experience with claims.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 03-05-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel