Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,570,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
This gets sillier by the moment. What are they doing to do with the ex-professional sports figure who has a 52" chest? Deny boarding? I doubt it.
Sell him two seats, as it doesn't matter why he is so big, none of those reasons grant them any right to space in the seat I paid for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,331,896 times
Exactly. My seat, my space. Got a big pregnant belly? Don't come near me!

Got a baby in your lap? Stay the feck away from me!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,223,959 times
Smile American Airlines As Well

Monkey see....monkey do......American Airlines has just announced that they as well will be charging the extra large for two seats when they cannot fit into one......long over do...for if you have ever taken a flight sitting or should I say squeezed into your seat...you would agree...

The worse trip I ever had was from NY to LAX...where I sat between a husband and wife...both topping the 300 lb range......they always travel together...one booking the window seat and the other the aisle seat......the poor slob in the middle was me......what made it even worse was they packed there own lunch bag/store and passed their sandwiches...chips...drinks...between each other...

So...I think it is great that the airlines are making the excessively large pay for what they use...but of course...what will be next......

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,979,420 times
Only in America. We have allowed ourselves to become so fat that we actually need rules about it now.

But yes, this make sense and is fair. If you are obese and take up two seats, then pay for two seats. Not fair to the person sitting next to you who doesnt eat Wendys every day when your 4th lap is on his knee.

G Man

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 AM

515 posts, read 1,331,896 times
Exactly. If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 AM

13,412 posts, read 28,782,303 times
Hey I agree....about time

Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,499,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Only in America. We have allowed ourselves to become so fat that we actually need rules about it now.
Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat in Canada

Quote:
Canada's two largest airlines must give disabled and morbidly obese passengers an extra free seat on domestic flights, beginning in January, after the Supreme Court refused yesterday to consider the carriers' appeal of a federal order.

The Supreme Court, by convention, gave no reason for declining to intervene in the case.

The decision ended a six-year battle by disabled travellers to secure two seats for the price of one if they need inflight attendants. Obese people can also qualify if they are too large to fit in a single seat.

Air Canada and WestJet failed in their pitch for the court to consider a January 2008 decision from the Canadian Transportation Agency that gave them one year to implement new policies in the absence of being able to show that a "one-person, one-fare" structure would cause undue hardship.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,794,558 times
I am for this, but not because I want more room between me and the person seated next to me. I truly hope overweight people take this to heart as a real consequence to poor health and do something about the bigger problem (if they can). No pun intended.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,816,220 times
We are not talking about just overweight people here, we are talking about OBESE people, the kind that have neglected themselves for FAR too long. It's about time that we stop this politically correct BS of sympathizing with fat people and tell them straight up that they have been LAZY, careless, irresponsible and made themselves disgusting to other people and they need to FIX it.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,018,909 times
First of all, on many airlines, seat sizes have NOT been reduced at all. Americans are getting larger, and are blaming the airlines because they can't fit in the seat. The average American is a whopping 24 pounds heavier now than they were in the 1960s. The airlines or other passengers should not have to adjust because some people refuse to slim down. Putting in wider seats would require wider planes. The airlines should also not have to manufacture wider planes because people refuse to slim down. There are other modes of transportation, such as personal vehicles or the sleeper car on Amtrak, where you can take up all the room you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel