Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times

Advertisements

After being deluged day after day with images of that sickening Casey Anthony and what she did to her poor baby, then a few weeks ago with the horrific outcome of the missing little boy in Brooklyn, here is another sad and tragic child abuse/murder case.
Why are there so many children murdered? I saw this on the news yesterday and made my stomach turn. What can we, as a society, do to prevent this from happening? I've had enough, something needs done about it-and NOW!

( thanks for letting me vent!)

Girl found suffocated was locked in box as punishment | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
After being deluged day after day with images of that sickening Casey Anthony and what she did to her poor baby, then a few weeks ago with the horrific outcome of the missing little boy in Brooklyn, here is another sad and tragic child abuse/murder case.
Why are there so many children murdered? I saw this on the news yesterday and made my stomach turn. What can we, as a society, do to prevent this from happening? I've had enough, something needs done about it-and NOW!

Dear God. The only real solution I can think of it to train a live video cam on every child, 24/7. If the neighbors had been watching Christian Choate would still be alive, too. And Tish Carmichael. And Ricky Holland. By the way, this is the anniversary of Ricky Holland's murder.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:

We can't. Unfortunately, procreation is a right in this country and parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit. Often the first sign, to the outside world, that something wasn't right is a child is dead.

Short of requiring a license to procreate, I'm not sure what you can do other than keep your eyes open and report anything you see.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We can't. Unfortunately, procreation is a right in this country and parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit. Often the first sign, to the outside world, that something wasn't right is a child is dead.

Short of requiring a license to procreate, I'm not sure what you can do other than keep your eyes open and report anything you see.
They do NOT have a right to kill their kids.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Dear God. The only real solution I can think of it to train a live video cam on every child, 24/7.
You're right Cliffie. Video surveillance would be the only tool that would work in the role of prevention of these criminal acts. It's too bad that that couldn't have been implemented after little Ricky said the deep rope burns he sustained were from the foster parents tying him to the bed. Ricky's therapist reported it immediately, but then the investigator reviewing her report threw the claim out,thus allowing the trash parents to complete their adoption of Ricky.Something tells me even if Ricky's neighbors would have reported something, the state still would have ignored it.

It's very discouraging,to say the least.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Often the first sign, to the outside world, that something wasn't right is a child is dead..
Or perhaps people may have an inclination that something isn't quite right, but out of desire not to get involved, decide to do nothing about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Here is an example of good citizens who did decide to get involved . The man had been trying to lure children into his home for a month. Thank God none of the children went inside his house. Word got out into the community and the matter was taken care of ( right away!) before any child was hurt and/or murdered.

Child luring suspect found beaten

Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 AM

That is frikkin' awesome -- right up there with the alert neighbors who caught -- and stomped on -- Richard Ramirez before calling the cops on his sorry butt.

If only all the neighbordhoods out there were like this one. Child abuse would go back to being rare as hen's teeth.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Or perhaps people may have an inclination that something isn't quite right, but out of desire not to get involved, decide to do nothing about it.
That too. Unfortuntately, we do have the right to raise our kids as we see fit within limits. It can be hard to determine if those limits have been crossed to an outsider.

I had a neighbor who spent several months and thousands of dollars defending herself against a wrongful child abuse claim made by a teacher. When it was over, they packed up and moved and I don't blame them. They needed a fresh start somewhere else. Of course nothing happened to the teacher and they have no recourse. Anyone who witnessed that would be leary of making an accusation they weren't positive about.
People don't want to report and be wrong because of the hell they'll put an innocent family through. So they wait until they are sure and that is often too late.

I was turned in by the hospital where I took my dd for treatment after she had an accident at day care. I was so glad her accident happened at day care. If it had been at home, who knows how long I would have been fighting or whether or not I would have won. Because the accident happened at day care, they just talked to us and dropped it.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
That too. Unfortuntately, we do have the right to raise our kids as we see fit within limits. It can be hard to determine if those limits have been crossed to an outsider.

I had a neighbor who spent several months and thousands of dollars defending herself against a wrongful child abuse claim made by a teacher. When it was over, they packed up and moved and I don't blame them. They needed a fresh start somewhere else. Of course nothing happened to the teacher and they have no recourse. Anyone who witnessed that would be leary of making an accusation they weren't positive about.
People don't want to report and be wrong because of the hell they'll put an innocent family through. So they wait until they are sure and that is often too late.

I was turned in by the hospital where I took my dd for treatment after she had an accident at day care. I was so glad her accident happened at day care. If it had been at home, who knows how long I would have been fighting or whether or not I would have won. Because the accident happened at day care, they just talked to us and dropped it.
Yep. We had to talk to the police about one of our kids after he had a string of injuries and a wierdo teacher. We explained all of his injuries which fortunately had happened in front of multiple witnesses and it went away without even having to hire a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime