Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
A woman who lives across the street from me moved into a senior's home without me noticing. Earlier this week her son was putting out some garbage and I said hello. He told me that his mother was moved out months ago, his daughter had lived in the house for months, and now they were emptying the house to put it on the market. Apparently all sorts of things happened with moving people in and out of the house and I saw nothing.

Rawlins was there to stare at the Peterson house, not to report on the comings and goings of others on the street. He doesn't know when he was there, and cannot comment on when the robbery occurred.
No he can't and neither can the police. I think it happened sometime during 1:00-4:00 am. On the 24th.

She moved while you were in the street less than 20ft away? No way.

Last edited by James420; 09-22-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
No he can't and neither can the police. I think it happened sometime during 1:00-4:00 am. On the 24th.

She moved while you were in the street less than 20ft away? No way.
The street is much wider than 20ft, and yes, this happened. Why? Because there are all sorts of things happening all the time and I have better things to do than pay attention to what the neighbors are doing. Furniture moving trucks often mean that someone is having furniture delivered.

Investigators can determine the facts of a crime. A reporter who can't say at what time he was at a particular location cannot speak to activities that occurred at that location.

The Medinas were at home between 1:00-4:00AM on the Dec 24. They left for vacation at 10:30AM on Dec 24, after the dog was found alone on the street with a leash.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,497,317 times
Both houses across the street from me that are within sight of my house moved within the last 6 weeks and I didn't see it. I only knew later because for sale signs went up in their yards and I don't see people in and out anymore. These are 2 bedroom homes where couples lived with a child. It would have taken more than schlepping a few boxes to the car to move them. And I'm home all day. I walk past both homes at least 6 times a week. Honestly, I didn't see a thing.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,626 times
I've had neighbors move yes, w/o me knowing yes, did they move when I was physically in the front yard w/o me knowing, no, that's asinine to even suggest. Especially since they live across the street, how do you walk outside through the front door and not notice a moving truck? That's impossible for me to do. Unless I look down or am blindfolded.

It's blatant idiocy to suggest otherwise.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
People were looking for a missing woman wearing specific clothing as soon as Laci was reported missing by her step-father. Lots of people saw all sorts of women wearing clothes that matched the information provided by Scott.

We know now that it doesn't matter how many people saw women wearing that outfit because Laci was in fact wearing something different when she was murdered.
I think you're missing what I'm suggesting.

I'm suggesting they didn't see her wearing black and white, but rather beige, but changed their minds on the outfit when black and white was suggested.

It isn't as if he said rainbow tights. If I witnessed someone walking who I see regularly, and I knew I saw her and her dog that morning and I kind of didn't recall what she was wearing - or I kind of thought it was cream pants - I could convince myself I remembered the outfit, but not the woman and dog, wrong.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think you're missing what I'm suggesting.

I'm suggesting they didn't see her wearing black and white, but rather beige, but changed their minds on the outfit when black and white was suggested.

It isn't as if he said rainbow tights. If I witnessed someone walking who I see regularly, and I knew I saw her and her dog that morning and I kind of didn't recall what she was wearing - or I kind of thought it was cream pants - I could convince myself I remembered the outfit, but not the woman and dog, wrong.
Sure, but if witnesses can't get the outfit right, we can't rely on them for hair color, dog type, dog size, day when this happened, or any other relevant details.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
I've had neighbors move without me seeing them, as well. It happens. Not everyone is a "Gladys Kravitz."

Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
The street is much wider than 20ft, and yes, this happened.
But you weren't actually outside when she moved were you? Like the reporter was.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
But you weren't actually outside when she moved were you? Like the reporter was.
It doesn't make any difference. I spoke to the son of the neighbor this week while he was putting something in the garbage and he told me that he was helping his daughter move out of the house at that moment. Had he not told me, I would have simply assumed he was taking out the garbage.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Sure, but if witnesses can't get the outfit right, we can't rely on them for hair color, dog type, dog size, day when this happened, or any other relevant details.
I think there are two different situations here. If you were to ask someone to describe someone they've only seen just that once, that's one thing. For example, when there is a missing teen and some people who don't know that teen say well I saw that girl at Jack in the Box yesterday. That's one thing, and it's not very reliable at all.

BUT. If there's someone you see all the time, and you would certainly recognize them and their dog because you see them with regularity and recognize them from the missing persons photo, I think it's highly likely you've got a credible sighting.

Regardless of whether the clothing description is correct. You are aware of the person, and can recognize them on sight.

I see regulars walking in my neighborhood, or running, or walking dogs, and they are regulars. I could say yes I saw him yesterday afternoon, but not be able to tell what the person was wearing.

Maybe it's my skill set. I recognize people I see often, and don't notice their outfits unless they are extremely unusual. Maybe you're different - maybe you see the outfit first and not the general "over all" person you recognize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime