Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think I've seen you mention a couple times that her stepfather reported her missing, which would lead me to think you are considering that significant.

I don't consider that significant. I still don't think he's necessarily innocent - have no way to know, it's truly too confusing - but I don't think the fact that she was reported missing by Ron Grantski is significant.

Laci was independent, and she and her husband were very independent of each other. I doubt she would have reported him missing if the situation were reversed, under the circumstances in which he stated he realized she was missing.

In his story, he came home from a fishing trip in the late afternoon to find her gone, and her car was still there, and the dog was in the backyard with a leash on. Of all the varieties of things that could have happened to her, something violent and criminal are about the last on my list. She could have been walking and ran into a neighbor who needed something . . . anything. Someone to briefly watch her child. Someone to help out with some other christmas eve thing. A neighbor with another dog wanted to walk with her but McKenzie kept aggressing. The possibilities are limitless.

So Scott, having been gone all afternoon called Laci's mother, who is very very close to Laci, to get a bead on where Laci might be, it's kind of a mystery. He says "Laci is missing". Sharon becomes terrified and has her boyfriend call police, as some women of a certain age do. They have their men do things like this, rather than themselves. It's kind of a dependent couple thing to do. The woman asks her guy to interact with the police in this situation of family need.

I don't see that points the finger at Scott, do you, in this instance?

(I'm not saying he's not guilty, I'm saying so much of what we thing points to guilt doesn't).
I wonder if men who murder their wives prefer that someone else make the missing person report. With Scott Peterson, his step-father made the call. With Brad Cooper, his wife's friend made the call. With Jason Young, his wife's sister made the call. All three men murdered their young wives [two of whom were pregnant]. It's a pattern that I see. Those three spousal homicides come to mind easily, but with a little research, it might be evident that there is a clear correlation between spousal homicide and a third party making the initial report to police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I wonder if men who murder their wives prefer that someone else make the missing person report. With Scott Peterson, his step-father made the call. With Brad Cooper, his wife's friend made the call. With Jason Young, his wife's sister made the call. All three men murdered their young wives [two of whom were pregnant]. It's a pattern that I see. Those three spousal homicides come to mind easily, but with a little research, it might be evident that there is a clear correlation between spousal homicide and a third party making the initial report to police.
Drew Peterson arranged for his wife's friend to find her dead body even though he was in the house. I think you have something there....

Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Drew Peterson arranged for his wife's friend to find her dead body even though he was in the house. I think you have something there....
I suspect that the effort to have someone else report the missing [murdered] spouse is based on the husband wanting to distance himself from the murder; to put someone between themselves and the police. In each case that I mentioned, the husband is the last person to see the victim.

With Scott Peterson, his wife went for a walk and he was a hundred miles away, with Brad Cooper, his wife went for a run, with Jason Young, his alibi placed him hundreds of miles away. Not only did they manipulate the situation such that someone else made the call, but they physically distanced themselves from the body.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:04 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
I lost my link to the trial testimony. Someone had one where you could search by the witness. Anyone still have that?

Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Actually it was Laci's mother's boyfriend, not that that changes much.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:41 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Interesting that you mention Brad Cooper. That's another case where I think that the husband was convicted on shaky grounds.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM

72 posts, read 56,358 times
Quote:
BTW - to search for old posts, click on your name. That will take you to a screen where you click on the folder "statistics". Click on find all posts by FleaT and you'll see them all.
Thank you!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not presupposing the judge knew the new juror would vote that way. I think anyone could guess that, based on the overwhelming feeling in the court. I think you'd be remiss to believe a random alternate juror would NOT agree with guilt, and find guilt in kind of a madcap partying way. Which was the tone at the time. But you don't have to presuppose the judge already knew that ahead of time before replacing the juror - just that replacing the juror was not the correct procedure.
I don't think that is accurate. As I recall many were speculating that he would be found not guilty. Scott's family thought he would be found not guilty. Although there was strong public sentiment against him, it was not a foregone conclusion in the courtroom that he would be convicted. The prosecution did have a good closing argument, but everyone still was discussing the very real possibility that he would be found not guilty. The main reason being circumstantial evidence cases can be hard to put together and for juries to understand.

Also, if the judge did break procedure in handling the jury then the conviction will be overturned. Procedural error that influences the outcome of a case is a no brainer on appeal, it's called getting off on a technicality. We all have our opinions, but we don't have all of the information about what the judge knew or didn't know and what he did or didn't tell the jury in instructions. We will have to wait and see how the appellate court rules on that issue.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
"In the nearly 17-month long investigation that led up to Scott Peterson's double murder trial, police fielded more than 10,000 tips, employed more than 300 officers and worked with about 90 separate agencies, the lead detective in the case testified Tuesday."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/laci-co...ed-10000-tips/
Thank you for the link! I knew it was a lot of tips. That amount of information overload is so difficult to sift through. And MDP did follow up on tips. According to the last episode of A & E special the MDP even investigated the satanic angle, and that's how the rumor got started. So that's how far out MDP did go investigating other suspects!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm still of the believe that Conner was a coffin birth. I believe he remained inside the womb, protected from the elements until deterioration created enough gas to expel the baby from the stomach.

Gruesome to think about but it's one theory.
Agreed. Considering the condition of Laci's cervix/uterus and both of their bodies, Conner was in the womb until shortly before he was discovered. This is the most likely explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime