Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times

Advertisements

All you have to do is read the majority of the responses here and it becomes apparent to all that Sheriff Dupnik hit the nail right on the head. Instead of making a meaningful comment or even seeking to understand the frustration the man must of been feeling over the death of a close friend and the attempted murder of another, you all took the high road which in this case was the gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM

206 posts, read 535,137 times
I think Dumbnick is loosing his mind. If not, then he's just a shameless liberal..Taking advantage of a tragedy..

Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How do Tucson residents view the Sheriff's remarks? While this is a horrible tragedy, I felt his comments were not appropriate and irresponsible to label our community as being the mecca for bigotry. I don't agree with that and was disappointed to see one of our leaders make that comment. However, how did Tucson residents receive his remarks? Arizona is now being discussed as a mecca for bigotry and hate in large part due to the Sheriff's comments which I feel don't serve this community well when in reality this incident had little if anything to do with bigotry but the tragic actions of a mentally disturbed individual. Why should the entire community be held responsible for one madman's actions? If anything, I saw our community come together during and after this incident whether we are talking about the heroic efforts by members to tackle the man and risk their lives or the intern who remained with her to the doctors, nurses and hospital staff who reacted quickly to the members who appeared at the vigil.
I'm sorry but a white guy killed white people then white cops came and the sheriff is white . Why is he talking about bigotry here ?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I could not disagree more with this statement. For the life of me, I simply do NOT understand how anyone can read/watch news coverage of this nut job and seriously believe he was politically motivated.
The papers in his parents' safe said, "Assassination. Giffords." Assassination used in conjunction with a member of Congress (which is political) usually ends up being a political action. Assassination is a deliberate act, aimed at a particular person, in this case a member of a political party, therefore it's politically motivated. It has also been deemed by many investigators involved as being pre-meditated.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I guess it's apparent to you, but it doesn't look like the majority agree with you. CBS just released a poll that said 57% doesn't think the shooting was "politically motivated.
US poll: rhetoric not to blame for Giffords shooting

I don't consider a national poll to be very scientific or even relevant when conducted among people who barely know anything about the current investigation and facts in this case. Those people don't live here, don't know the details and are in no more of a position to have a realistic opinion of our events than we in Arizona would be if a Congresswoman in Connecticut was shot.

Odd way to look at the situation - I thought that having one of your Congressional Representatives calling for a "boycott" on Arizona was pretty strange also. On the other hand - these people keep getting re-elected, so I guess that says a lot. Dissing Arizona must be a popular position with the residents.

Only by those who are discontent here. Just like anywhere else. Some people love it here, and some don't. Those who don't, diss it.

Your sheriff goes on National TV and announces that Arizona is "the mecca for bigotry" and you think this will help with America's perception of Arizona AND make them want to visit?????

I don't agree with the word bigotry, but I think his message of "something's gotta give" is a good message to Americans scared to death to visit Tucson. If it reassures travelers that he's trying to make Tucson a better place, good. We need tourists. We need students at our colleges from out of state. We need industry to find Southern Arizona hospitable. With no Spring Training anymore, jobs scarce, and growth fairly stagnant, anything that helps draw people to Tucson is good.

Doubtful. I can't imagine that the "Sheriff's message" is going to convince many to visit what he calls "the mecca of prejudice and bigotry".

With the BCS in Phoenix last night, and the Tostitos bowl before that, people are willing to visit Phoenix, but NOT southern Arizona. Tucson scares them. I get asked all the time if it's true Mexican gangs are kidnapping tourists and beheading them in the desert. Or if people are shooting each other on street corners. That is the perception much of America has of Tucson and southern Arizona. And now with a real shooting on the street, it only reinforces people's pre-conceived notions of Tucson. So, if the Sheriff, right or wrong, says things that may appease some Americans into thinking that Tucson may figure things out and become a safe place to visit, then I say he did the right thing. I do know many people around the country were glad to hear his remarks. People here may not be. There's also fear among people that have contacted me about Raul Grijalva introducing legislation allowing guns in schools. So many rumors abound about Tucson, that we're becoming the pariah of America. Someone needs to change that image. Do you want to? Go for it.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
So, if the Sheriff, right or wrong, says things that may appease some Americans into thinking that Tucson may figure things out and become a safe place to visit, then I say he did the right thing. I do know many people around the country were glad to hear his remarks. People here may not be. There's also fear among people that have contacted me about Raul Grijalva introducing legislation allowing guns in schools. So many rumors abound about Tucson, that we're becoming the pariah of America. Someone needs to change that image. Do you want to? Go for it.
Southern Arizona needs to figure this out on their own. They vote for the public officials, they appear to like those officials .... good for you.

You already answered your own question ..... NOPE, most people are not interested in visiting an area with gun fights on the streets and beheadings in a close area.

Contact your buddies and tell THEM to come visit the "pariah" of America. I'll take a pass on that one.

Here's a question for you .... has anyone considered how you will feel when the defense attorney for Loughner cites your Sheriff's statements for the defense? You will all look like fools. What kind of law enforcement official would get on his soap box and possibly prejudice a case?? Political partisanship is more important than his job? More important than bringing a murderer to justice? Arizona must be the twilight zone if the majority actually believe this nonsense.

It's a trite, but truism .... you deserve what you elect.
Good Luck - I've visited Tucson in the past, have friends living in several parts of Arizona today, but I won't be visiting them until some sanity returns. I feel exactly the same way about Mexico.

Way too spooky out there - both places, not sure there is much difference today.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
I think it is interesting to compare Sheriff Dupnik to Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
The papers in his parents' safe said, "Assassination. Giffords." Assassination used in conjunction with a member of Congress (which is political) usually ends up being a political action. Assassination is a deliberate act, aimed at a particular person, in this case a member of a political party, therefore it's politically motivated. It has also been deemed by many investigators involved as being pre-meditated.
I see. So a schizophrenic used the word "assassination," so that makes his actions political. Mmmm hmmm...

Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM

245 posts, read 697,785 times
Quote:
President Reagan was a member of a political party, that means Hinkley shooting him was politically motivated as well? Just because it was pre-meditated does not mean it is politically motivated. Loughner and Hickley are both poster children of mental illness.

It would be wise to wait to get the rest of the story before jumping to conclusions.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
He was anti-government, currency...he chose her and came out with killing a federal judge, some of her staff, wounding her, and a bunch of other people, then the families, then the bystanders who witnessed, and our whole state....what is there not to understand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson