Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,761 times

Advertisements

If you're in Tulsa you want to go as far south as possible.. Anything in the middle or north,, you can hang it up.. GHETTO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crywithnotears View Post
If you're in Tulsa you want to go as far south as possible.. Anything in the middle or north,, you can hang it up.. GHETTO...
Hmm..this method of posting/railing on Tulsa smells suspiciously familiar...if not, how would someone claiming to live in that festering armpit city of Killeen TX know what is the good and bad area of this city.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
You could live pretty much wherever you want in that price range. If commute time to work is important, then I suggest living in South Tulsa. (61st/Memorial is South Tulsa). South of 101st and West of the Arkansas River is where most of the upper middle class professionals live. There also is an extremely nice gated neighborhood practically across the street from Holland Hall: Holland Lakes. It's north of 81st between Sheridan and Yale.

Pockets of midtown are very, very nice too - Maple Ridge, Sunset Terrace, Terwilliger Heights. Very lovely old homes built in the early 20th century. Cascia Hall is located in this area - off of Utica between 21st - 31st St.
I agree with Brookside's post. I knew a number of people who graduated from Holland Hall, Cascia Hall, and various other private schools in the Tulsa area. Personally, I prefer Holland Hall. You'll have to do your own research to determine what is best for your family.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
With the turnpike access to 169, just about anywhere in Jenks, Union, Owasso, and Broken Arrow would be easily accessible. 169 and 61st is a mere mile and a half to two miles east of where the job is. I would certainly look at the area around 101st and Harvard....there are some very nice gated communities in that area. I would also consider Forest Ridge and Battle Creek areas of Broken Arrow. Both are golf communities with some nice high end housing available and within easy commute of 61st and Memorial.

If you are equestrian oriented, you will be able to find some nice homes on acreages for that amount in the Broken Arrow, Bixby, and Catoosa areas. If you are into simply nice homes without any "sports" orientation, that area around south Harvard and Yale would be good.....in either the Jenks or Bixby school districts.

I would wager there are more private Christian schools in the Tulsa area than just about any other community in the country. It seems that every church of any size has it's school. Assuming you are a church oriented person, find a church you like and see where the kids there go. If you are not particularly Christian, check with the people at your husbands work to see where they put their kids. Unless the kids are in Union, Jenks, Broken Arrow, Bixby, or Owasso, chances are their kids are in a private school somewhere.

My ex and her husband are adopting our grandkids later this year, and she will be putting them in the school run by their church......the Free Will Baptist Church school in Collinsville.....even though she teaches in Broken Arrow Public Schools, and BA is one of the better school districts in the area, she is opting for a school that does not tolerate same sex displays of affection (or any display for that matter) in the hallways and classroom.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
This is so totally NOT true that it is borderline trolling........

Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM

304 posts, read 888,762 times
Default Blanket Statements

Anything North or mid-town not nice?!?!

You've got to be kidding! Some lovely areas in each of these - Utica Square comes to mind, near downtown, Brookside, Cherry Street, and even some places North.

And south is not the answer. Or, shall I say that south is the answer if you like the 'Generica' feel: chain restaurants/stores, newer homes built from similar models, and traffic. You will find all of the conveniences, but you'lll lose the charm of older, unique homes, cool shopping areas, and interesting restaurants.

Of course, south Tulsa (71st Street) is all of 5-15 minutes from middle Tulsa (21st Street) so it's not really THAT big of a deal.

Just don't be jaded by ludicrous, blanket statements! Tulsa has a lot of different offerings in a lot of different locations. Come visit, drive around, and get to know the city!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:

I'll be watching you...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
My son is just in preschool so i'm not worried about upper grades yet. Can someone tell me the best area to live close to where that work address is. Would that be living in Tulsa or Broken Arrow etc? Our price range is $350-$450k
For that price you can get a really nice house. I think the median house price is 159,000. Go to realtor.com and do a search on the 74137 zip code or even 74136. You can do a specific price range also. 74114 is another desirable area--it includes Maple Ridge, Forest Hills. In 74114 you will find older homes. In 74136 and 74137 you will find newer homes.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 61,475 times
350-450k for a house, you can probably get about anything you want in Tulsa. I'm pretty sure it has about the best cost of living for cities its size in the country. I was recently visiting family in Sand Springs, as I'm considering moving back to the area from the hellhole of New Mexico. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that a house in the 200k range (which is what we're looking at) is a heck of a lot nicer than what you can buy here for the same dollars. As a comparison, the rental I live in in Gallup is a 180k house and would sell in Sand Springs for something like 65k. That was probably more info than you wanted. Sorry.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
Default place to live

Coweta is a nice town, not far from tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa