Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,467,309 times

Advertisements

Yawn. Rob won. What a HUGE surprise. Yeah, like maybe "the biggest suprise in Survivor history" - not. I really wish Jeff would find a new word other than "epic". Epic season, epic struggle, epic odds. Not so much. As a host, he really didn't spend much time with the other cast members last night. Matt (cute kid) going on about God, the solider going on about God, Russell - for the first time - being a gentleman and congratulating Rob and calling out his tribe. Poor Phillip not saying much of anything. Natalie (bless her) having trouble summarizing her feelings. And boy - was Grant pissed off at Rob!!! Yikes. Interesting to hear that the girls knew for a fact that Rob had the II. No wonder they weren't looking.

What was the point of RI? So angry Andrea could get back into the game and immediately get voted off? What an "epic" waste of time. By the way - in the promo for the South Pacific season I could have SWORN I recognized Andrea's eyes. I'm probably wrong.

In the end, I'm glad Rob won. He did deserve it in the end - and hopefully he will just go away now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,488,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Jeff so has a man crush on Rob...........wow
Wife was SO mad at me during show due to my snide comments. "Hey, Jeff, Rob seems to be getting a little more tension in his shorts. Get your knee pads, bud, that's your cue." "Okay, Phillip and Natalie, it is not necessary for you to fight over the right to lick Rob's family payload. There's one for each side, his and hers, so you can share." And most tellingly, when the votes began to be read: "Dear, don't we have a chuck bucket somewhere?"

Least satisfying finale I can remember. Stupid on-show contrived marriage proposals. I think at least her bleeped out profanities were authentic. And where are we going next time? Wow, someplace very specific and new: the SOUTH PACIFIC! I like the novelty. Have we ever been there?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,456,304 times
Hat's off to Rob Mariano. He played a surgical strategic game, while also working his butt off at camp and dominating at challenges. He completely deserved this win. And since I was rooting for him from the beginning, I'm thrilled that he took the title and the prize.

That said, this season wasn't so much a season of Survivor, but a season of The Boston Rob Show, aided and abetted by CBS and Mark Burnett. Granted, they had no control whatsoever as to who the 17 other people in the game chose to vote off or form alliances with, but they had to know that this had a strong potential of happening when they put such a savvy veteran up against a bunch of novices. And it's clear they anticipated his staying power, by the number of challenges that consisted of puzzle-solving, which just so happens to be Rob's strong suit. When the show's tradition is to have the final challenge be one of stamina, and it's replaced by a maze with a puzzle at the end, it's obvious they intentionally created an advantage for Mariano.

That doesn't diminish his success at those challenges in any way, especially since he did have some formidable competition, primarily from Ashley and Andrea. Nor does it diminish his incredible social game. But again, veteran vs novice = advantage, when you've got a veteran people who are fans of the game actually look up to (as opposed to loathe, like that nasty troll they put on the other team).

And given that they're doing it again in the next installment, plus keeping that horrendous idea of Redemption Island, I won't be tuning in for it.

Congratulations, Rob!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,288,697 times
I'll admit...I didn't start watching this season, just because I did feel that I was watching a rerun...The Boston Rob Show. I wasn't too thrilled with Russell, either. Maybe it is me but I want to see NEW people!

How many seasons of Russell must we endure before he wins? I will probably watch from time to time but not happy about seeing the same faces all over again. And if Philip comes back...I'm not sure I can watch...I go between absolute pity for the guy and just feeling annoyed!

I was happy NOT to go down Memory Lane.

The best part of the show was when Rob played the idol. I think he got worried and actually thought that Natalie had a brain and would actually side with the women. It would have shown some independent thought process! Alas...I was disappointed!

RI was just boring. I like the idea of someone having a 2nd chance but maybe a different approach. How "alone" are they on RI...don't they have someone filming???

And while I'm on my rant...why did The Amazing Race bring back all those people??? New people! Bring on new people! There must be someone out there that wants to be on these shows and have no jobs!!!

Vicki

Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,955,499 times
here's how you do redemption island right:

a contestant gets voted off, immediately goes to redemption island and immediately duals whomever is there - this occurs at the end of the show. the winner stays, the loser goes. the ONLY time you have more than one person on redemption island is while they are dueling. keep the reward challenges, keep the immunity challenges, keep the duals quick and at the end of the program - yes, this means they will occur at night. keep them simple enough that a giant lighting setup isn't really needed.

the biggest problem with RI is that there is no clean break for the contestants or the viewer. everything is messy and frayed. plus it eliminates the reward challenge and takes up too much air time.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,147,133 times
Dumbest cast ever. CBS please start giving contestants I.Q. tests before you casts them on the show going forward.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,391,597 times
It was a happy ending. I like those!

Survivor is a game with twists and turns, and many many blindsides - but it was fun to watch someone play a perfect game, and have everything go his way, and in the end be rewarded with the win. Definitely a happy ending - and fun to watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
By the way - in the promo for the South Pacific season I could have SWORN I recognized Andrea's eyes. I'm probably wrong.
Or maybe you're right? When they announced that there would be two familiar faces come back next season - I thought of Matt immediately - he was almost fan favorite and he definitely has unfinished business. I can't imagine anyone better to come back.

But who else? Phillip? Grant? Both would be fun, but they had two guys return this season, so isn't it more likely they'd invite at least one girl next season? And if so, then it has to be Andrea. She's definitely the most interesting of the final three girls - and the only one who was willing to shake things up.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,506,801 times
Well that's it for me. Since they are bringing back 1. Redemption Island 2. (probably) former players and 3. the dullest contestants around, the show no longer holds any interest for me.

One thing though, I wonder if Rob would have been successful in the Zapatera tribe. They seemed to be determined to vote out the "veteran" player early on. Or was it just that the Zapaterians couldn't stand Russell?

Would Rob have been able to manipulate the Zapaterians like he did the Ometepes?

Last edited by Minervah; 05-16-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,882,803 times
I wonder who lost the most weight. I say, Ashley.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,793,324 times
Okay....who is Ralph? Vote? The proposal was between who? And Rob won fan favorite? UGH. Matt should have. And it is NOT On Demand!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV