Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
SO agree with you girlfriend! Anyone catch WWHL when Heather's husband (the plastic surgeon) tweets in to ask Why in the World Was Alexis so scared of the surgery since she WORKS for the doctor doing promotion for him. Meow!! I love it when the husbands get catty!

The scene with Vicki at the office was a snore. Obviously her assistant did not get the script - er - I mean memo - that she was to be supportive of Vicki and her vast empire (who else was in that office of empty cubicles other than her son Michael and the lowly assistant?) while she tried to deal with the unending pressures and worries in her life. She SO wanted the assistant to be her audience/consoler, but the girl was just like "Look, what do you need done here? I don't want to be any part of your drama."

I thought Gretchen did a STELLAR job of shutting down the window display gay friend of Vicki and (?) Tamra. I really do think she wants NO part of Slade and his vendetta. Vicki is the one wanting the drama. And the more that Tamra rubs it into Vicki's face (why IS she doing that?) that Gretchen is Tamra's new bestie, the more irrational Vicki (who loves me? won't someone PLEASE love me!!) is going to react. Buckle your seats, folks!

Off topic, but just for my own clarification: As a Roman Catholic, when we enter a church we normally dip our fingers into the holy water font, genuflect, and make the sign of the cross. We also cross ourselves at the start of mass, the start of a rosary and sometimes when we hear bad news about a person. So, that's us. With regard to Alexis, on previous seasons I've seen the church that she, Jim and the children attend. Since I could see it wasn't a Catholic church, I just assumed that she belonged to either a Baptist, Methodist or Presbyterian church. Do any of these religions practice the act of "blessing or crossing" themselves? I truly AM ignorant on this. I always thought this was one of the quickest ways to play "Spot the Catholic" ... LOL! It's just that I noticed Alexis doing it when she was playing that dice game and was like, huh?
I was under the impression that she was part of some sort of fundamentalist church rather than one of the more recognized protestant religions, some fundamentalists probably do make the sign of the cross, or she may have grown up Catholic, but usually protestants don't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post

Tamra invited the guys to the party as something fun. I thought Terry DuBrow looked so much like the singer from Quiet Riot, Kevin DuBrow, when he was dressed up, so I did some digging online and found out they were brothers. I thought it was great how he dressed like him for the party.
Awesome. I did not know that!

Quote:
SO agree with you girlfriend! Anyone catch WWHL when Heather's husband (the plastic surgeon) tweets in to ask Why in the World Was Alexis so scared of the surgery since she WORKS for the doctor doing promotion for him. Meow!! I love it when the husbands get catty!

Off topic, but just for my own clarification: As a Roman Catholic, when we enter a church we normally dip our fingers into the holy water font, genuflect, and make the sign of the cross. We also cross ourselves at the start of mass, the start of a rosary and sometimes when we hear bad news about a person. So, that's us. With regard to Alexis, on previous seasons I've seen the church that she, Jim and the children attend. Since I could see it wasn't a Catholic church, I just assumed that she belonged to either a Baptist, Methodist or Presbyterian church. Do any of these religions practice the act of "blessing or crossing" themselves? I truly AM ignorant on this. I always thought this was one of the quickest ways to play "Spot the Catholic" ... LOL! It's just that I noticed Alexis doing it when she was playing that dice game and was like, huh?
I didn't watch WWHL (how funny, about Terry!) but I remember her working part-time or something for a plastic surgeon. More baloney from this show...

Lutherans and Episcopals cross themselves (I'm both) but not evangelical protestants, which is what she is. In fact they believe that making the sign of the cross is idolatry. But bless Jesus Barbie's heart, I bet the whole church gig flies right over her head, like everything else. It's a great tool to use against other people by acting sanctimonious, though. Poor thing has no idea why but that's another story. She wouldn't know what "sanctimonious" means, anyway.

But yes, she probably was raised Roman Catholic.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 AM

512 posts, read 861,967 times
Quote:
First off, LOL on the "spot the Catholic" comment. I was raised Roman Catholic and my friend (also raised RC) and I would play the same game sometimes.

Second, the gut feeling I get from Jesus Barbie is that it is strictly for show. I mean, come on, crossing yourself at a Bunco game?! Just more of her hypocritical religion. I'm not doubting she's a Christian, I just don't think she understands the difference between looking like a Christian and acting like a Christian.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Awesome. I did not know that!

I didn't watch WWHL (how funny, about Terry!) but I remember her working part-time or something for a plastic surgeon. More baloney from this show...

Lutherans and Episcopals cross themselves (I'm both) but not evangelical protestants, which is what she is. In fact they believe that making the sign of the cross is idolatry. But bless Jesus Barbie's heart, I bet the whole church gig flies right over her head, like everything else. It's a great tool to use against other people by acting sanctimonious, though. Poor thing has no idea why but that's another story. She wouldn't know what "sanctimonious" means, anyway.

But yes, she probably was raised Roman Catholic.
Not all Lutherans cross themselves, I went to Lutheran K-8 school/church, we never did. I didn't learn that until Catholic high school.

Jesus Barbie doesn't think, she just does. Making the sign of the cross over dice is just another way to "show off." I doubt she ever really thinks about what she is doing.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Not all Lutherans cross themselves, I went to Lutheran K-8 school/church, we never did. I didn't learn that until Catholic high school.

Jesus Barbie doesn't think, she just does. Making the sign of the cross over dice is just another way to "show off." I doubt she ever really thinks about what she is doing.

Or maybe she was "in character". Wasn't she supposed to be Madonna?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I think we need to be careful with the word scripted, I agree that much of this and all reality shows are set up to varying degrees, but in general most people speak in their own words rather than reading from a script, so we do get the essence of who a person is, and how they tend to act even if many of the situations are thought up by producers.
I think that is what most of us mean when saying 'scripted'. Crazy this season the 'story lines' to engage us. The fact that Vicki is dating a guy who doesn't pay child support? Classic.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 PM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times
Didn't Tamra say that her husband has not signed the divorce papers yet? Maybe her and Eddie Boy might have a looooong engagement.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
..... I just don't think she understands the difference between looking like a Christian and acting like a Christian.

Tamra made a reference in one of her TH's about Alexis and her boobs and her religion. I don't know what one is supposed to do with another?

What are Christians, specifically Alexis, supposed to look/act like?

I think Alexis can be pretty clueless, but she seems to have a good heart, and she treats her friends and family well.

Or is it because she talks about/inserts in to TH's & conversations references to her religion (a lot) that bugs?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM

512 posts, read 861,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Tamra made a reference in one of her TH's about Alexis and her boobs and her religion. I don't know what one is supposed to do with another?

What are Christians, specifically Alexis, supposed to look/act like?

I think Alexis can be pretty clueless, but she seems to have a good heart, and she treats her friends and family well.

Or is it because she talks about/inserts in to TH's & conversations references to her religion (a lot) that bugs?
When I say "look like a Christian" I'm referring to a person who chooses to show themselves looking like a Christian, i.e. wearing cross necklaces (which I do sometimes, so I'm not denouncing it, just pointing out that when you wear one you make a point to let people know your religous affiliation), making the sign of the cross, praying in public. Bascially letting people know you are a Christian. Again, I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm just pointing out that Alexis LOVES to do this, which leave her wide open to ridicule.

Acting like a Christian is a completely different thing. Actions are subtle. There are people I help, charities I give to, times when I hold my tongue when I really want to give back as good as I'm getting, and even actions I withhold because I know, as a Christian these are things I'm expected to do. But I don't announce these things because it's supposed to be the act and not the bragging that counts.

This is what grates on me so much about Alexis. She wants to "look" the part of a Christian. Talking about her being subservant to her husband, making the sign of the cross during a bunco game (which when played properly is technically gambling--again, I love bunco, simply pointing it out), trying to act like she doesn't talk about sex and the bedroom yet her girls are hanging out in very revealing clothing. If she'd stop announcing her Christianity all the time, trying to make herself appear (look to be) Christian, none of this would bother me, but the fact she does yet fails to understand the true humility in being a Christian makes me see her character as fake as her boobs.

I'm not perfect by any means, which is why it's important for me not to publicly announce every five minutes that I'm a Christian, because you can be as Christian as you want, but you're still a sinner as much as anyone else on this earth.

I know I'm mixing the looking and acting like, which is probably where I confused you. I don't mean the fact she has implants or wears revealing clothing, like Tamra meant. I meant more the holier-than-thou appearance that she's trying to fluff off on us.

Clear as mud?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
When I say "look like a Christian" I'm referring to a person who chooses to show themselves looking like a Christian, i.e. wearing cross necklaces (which I do sometimes, so I'm not denouncing it, just pointing out that when you wear one you make a point to let people know your religous affiliation), making the sign of the cross, praying in public. Bascially letting people know you are a Christian. Again, I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm just pointing out that Alexis LOVES to do this, which leave her wide open to ridicule.

Acting like a Christian is a completely different thing. Actions are subtle. There are people I help, charities I give to, times when I hold my tongue when I really want to give back as good as I'm getting, and even actions I withhold because I know, as a Christian these are things I'm expected to do. But I don't announce these things because it's supposed to be the act and not the bragging that counts.

This is what grates on me so much about Alexis. She wants to "look" the part of a Christian. Talking about her being subservant to her husband, making the sign of the cross during a bunco game (which when played properly is technically gambling--again, I love bunco, simply pointing it out), trying to act like she doesn't talk about sex and the bedroom yet her girls are hanging out in very revealing clothing. If she'd stop announcing her Christianity all the time, trying to make herself appear (look to be) Christian, none of this would bother me, but the fact she does yet fails to understand the true humility in being a Christian makes me see her character as fake as her boobs.

I'm not perfect by any means, which is why it's important for me not to publicly announce every five minutes that I'm a Christian, because you can be as Christian as you want, but you're still a sinner as much as anyone else on this earth.

I know I'm mixing the looking and acting like, which is probably where I confused you. I don't mean the fact she has implants or wears revealing clothing, like Tamra meant. I meant more the holier-than-thou appearance that she's trying to fluff off on us.

Clear as mud?
I understand, and totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV