Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,272,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I'm not familiar with these "shots", and thought it was hysterical that practically the whole office was getting them! I'm guessing that it actually happened at some ad agency, but wow!

Question: Do you think they offered a shot to Peggy? Or did they consider her too "straight-laced"?
Peggy and Ted were attending the funeral and probably missed the shot offer. I think Peggy was drunk, though. Probably why she didn't stop the dangerous dart game. Joan and Pete were not featured in this episode. I'd love to see Pete on speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM

11,663 posts, read 12,767,259 times
I agree with Grandstander and the others that this season is very disjointed. While I understand the need for the writers to stay fresh through experiementation and exploration, I wish they would get back to the original premise of this show-the advertising industry during the changing consumeristic and social climate of the 1960s. I liked seeing the pitches to new clients and how they formulate the campaigns like when they came up with the spin-off of Bye Bye Birdie or that whole thing for the Kodak slide projector. I'd like to see some ads for Fresca and Tab.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I want to see more story lines on the minor characters like Stan, Harry, Ginsberg, and Ken. I'm kind of tired of Don's (and Pete's) endless sociopathic dysfunction. And I'm still missing Paul Kinsey. I liked his 60s intelligentsia hipster-turned-HareKrishna-hippie character.
I'd like to see more of the Ken Cosgrove character. Aaron Staten is getting rave reviews for his dancing skills.
It's His Job: Aaron Staton Dances Up a Storm on 'Mad Men' - NYTimes.com

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,802,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I didn't take it as bragging. More like "please keep your nose clean and free from scandal", so as not to have an effect on the campaign.
I think she lashing out in an attempt to make herself look more responsible.

"see, my husband is running for public office while you are out doing god knows what and your chippy is acting like a 16 year old".

Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,600,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think she lashing out in an attempt to make herself look more responsible.

"see, my husband is running for public office while you are out doing god knows what and your chippy is acting like a 16 year old".

I think it could be interpreted as an attempt to make herself look more important and having more status.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Betty has always been about image and status. That's how she was raised.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,152,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Don lost control ... By the end of the episode, he was back. He's going to take control of the agency again.

Megan left those kids alone not to go to work, but to go to a play ... So she could socialize. She wasn't getting paid to be there. Don's money, not hers, is making it possible for her to pursue her career. And Don ... yes, stoned out of his mind, was working. She knew she had responsibilities when she married a man with 3 kids. She's a self centered child Plus, MM still takes place in a time when married women stayed home, regardless of who's children they married into. They should hire a nanny if Megan wants to go off wherever, whenever.

Seeing and judging MM with the rose colored glasses of today defeats the purpose of the show.

I agree megan is a self centered child .

Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 AM

Again, you are putting today's perspectives on yesterday's social and family mores. Even though the late 60's was a very dynamic time of fast change, men of Don's generation, went to work, didn't call home and still believed it was the woman's place to take care of the children, no matter what. This incident may have shook him up a bit, but I doubt it. He still thinks Megan should be the primary caretaker of his children because that's the way it was at that time ... that's why he married her.

Men didn't call their wives to check on anything. Men didn't share their feelings, especially with children.

And asking a 14 year old to babysit is one thing, but it's another when an intruder comes into the home. Betty's first words out of her mouth were about the fact that they lived in Manhattan, then she went off on Don and Megan's lifestyle. Megan would have been busted regardless by Betty as Megan promised boots to go with her new outfit for babysitting so she could go do her own thing. Like that was the only day that the only play was happening in NYC. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
If Don was any kind of a decent father he would have been there...period. I don't even think he called once to inquire about the kids. As Sally said: I don't know anything about you. That sums up the relationship Don has with his children. Indifferent and distant though well-intentioned.

I don't think Megan was irresponsible at all. Sally at 14 should have been able to handle babysitting just fine.

Now, let's go back to Don again.

What about all of the marriage vows he has broken?

Please, I know Don realizes that Megan is no Betty but I think he is about to learn a huge lesson on just how different they are. Betty always knew what Don was up to but she understood and played her part even though it caused her major emotional trauma. Megan is only a few years younger than Betty but the generational difference is as wide as the ocean.

Yes, Megan wanted to go out to play but what's notable is that she obviously feels that she has a right to her own pleasure and her own life. That wasn't the first time she mentioned Don's inconsiderate ways.

Remember the dinner with her mother?

Betty used to play the arm piece perfectly and loved the role. Megan not so much.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,401,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I agree with Grandstander and the others that this season is very disjointed. While I understand the need for the writers to stay fresh through experiementation and exploration, I wish they would get back to the original premise of this show-the advertising industry during the changing consumeristic and social climate of the 1960s. I liked seeing the pitches to new clients and how they formulate the campaigns like when they came up with the spin-off of Bye Bye Birdie or that whole thing for the Kodak slide projector. I'd like to see some ads for Fresca and Tab.
Me, too.

I like watching the fashions, the period interior decoration and the rapidly changing societal mores of the decade. I was born in late 1961, so I was very young throughout the period and I am fascinated to see what my parents experienced. They would be of Pete's era.

But I especially love watching how an ad campaign is conceived. I have a strong interest in the subject, having once been a newspaper reporter but really being a frustrated PR person.

I find this season to be very disjointed as well. However, I wonder if those sort of antics such as the "inspiration" shots, were normal for the boys and girls on Madison Avenue. I also think that compared to the first season there are a heck of a lot more characters and story lines involved now.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,741,931 times
This is the generation of men that prompted Harry Chapin to write the song, "Cat's Cradle" about them. This is the generation of men who view emotions and feelings as "stuff females do" I am so glad to see the younger generations of men making different decisions about wife, children, home and family...even their own health and well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV