Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I read a review of Downton that said it's like the Hotel California--you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Edith was in London at the paper with her kid, and she gets dragged back to Downton. Daisy wants to continue her education in London, but a few tears from Patmore keeps her at Downton. Bates and Anna are always in trouble with the cops, but no one thinks to kick them out of Downton. Who knows, maybe Tom will be able to get out.
I don't understand how come they can't have different locations. I'd love for the last season to show Tom in Boston, Edith in London, and Daisy wherever she lands. Just because it's called Downton Abbey does not mean everyone must live there. They showed Matthew and Barrow in the trenches of France. They've shown Edith in London at various times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Yes, O'Brien seemed to soften later on, breaking her "alliance" with Barrow. She was fairly decent, until she up and quit with no notice so that she could travel to India with what's-her-name (Rose's mother/Shrimpie's wife).
What's the saying -- "too soon old, too late smart"?

Hmm. Certainly applied in my case. Lol

Old 02-23-2015, 04:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If there is a killer revealed, I suppose it'll be one of Greene's previous rape victims or a hubby. Though at this point, just let them please conclude the storyline this season.

Will Isobel marry Merton ? I say no.

Is it too soon for a new puppy ? Probably, but what a nice addition one would be at Christmas.

Does anyone know who the guy was that Mary was talking to in next week's preview ?
It appeared to be either a) the less despicable of the Merton boys, or b) the actor who portrayed the prosecuting attorney who unsuccessfully attempted to shield Will Gardner from the courtroom shooter in season Five of The Good Wife. But that 's another TV addiction....

Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Definitely, though it was somewhat insulting to cats.
LOL. Susan really is a cold witch, isn't she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
The only thing I disliked about this season was the long drawn out storyline with the Bate's and Mr. Green.
In real life, not too many people would care if Green was pushed or if he tripped. And I agree it's been too drawn out. I don't care, either, any longer.

I know the folks in charge are going for the contrast between modern prosecution of sexual assault and how sexual assault was perceived 90 years ago, but it's just gone on too long. And when the investigator told Anna that Green had a history of assaulting women, I thought she'd come clean because she'd realize that the rape wasn't her fault, nor anything to be ashamed of. A conventional woman bucking convention. Alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think she will realize that she is ready for marriage again, but not to stuffy ol' Merton with his ghastly sons.
Dickie is a nice enough man, but he's too dull and conventional for Isobel. She needs someone with a bit more spunk.

Quote:
I loved how Robert said that Marigold reminds him of Gregson, and gently asked Cora if he was mistaken. And then he said he would be able to love her as a granddaughter! Yay!!!
Robert's come a long way -- kicking and screaming the entire time, but he has made lots of progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I read a review of Downton that said it's like the Hotel California--you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Edith was in London at the paper with her kid, and she gets dragged back to Downton. Daisy wants to continue her education in London, but a few tears from Patmore keeps her at Downton. Bates and Anna are always in trouble with the cops, but no one thinks to kick them out of Downton. Who knows, maybe Tom will be able to get out.
A few people have escaped - O'Brien, Alfred, Gwen ... and all the maids who misbehaved and got booted out. LOL

I'm wondering about Tom. He says he wants to move to Boston and build his own life, but I don't think he really wants to leave his new family.

Loved it when he was talking to little Sybbie about moving, and she kept asking "Why?" and looking at him like he had cauliflower coming out of his ears.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't understand how come they can't have different locations. I'd love for the last season to show Tom in Boston, Edith in London, and Daisy wherever she lands. Just because it's called Downton Abbey does not mean everyone must live there. They showed Matthew and Barrow in the trenches of France. They've shown Edith in London at various times.
They showed Mathews and Barrow in relatively tiny, low rent WW I sets. If they have Tom in Boston then they have to build sets to represent Boston and hire a bunch of American actors to portray Bostonians. All that costs money. They already have an unusually large cast of regulars, and they have a limited budget. The steeple chase scene probably ate up most of this season's discretionary funds.

Downton Abbey has great production values compared to "Upstairs-Downstairs" which if you watch it today will leave you feeling claustrophobic, the same effect you get from the earliest "Dr. Who" episodes or "The Avengers" in the Honor Blackman days. My feeling is that they are already giving us maximum budgeting and aren't looking for ways to make it more costly.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Since we've just had one wedding, holding off on the Isobel/Merton thing would be a good start for a new season.
Don't forget, we have a couple of possibles Downstairs also.
I would positively cheer if Baxter and Moseley have a Happily Ever After ending.

Prediction (since we only have one more season ) - the series will end with Mary getting married.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
With childhood mortality being what it was, you would think they would have done it the other way around. I guess it was resistance building though.
no the younger the kid the more likely it was to pee in the warm bath. I sure wouldn't have wanted to follow a small child in bath line.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Seems to me the Prince is about 25 years younger than Violet. Anybody know for sure?

In a perfect world Tom will marry Mary or Edith and stay at DA but doubt it will happen.

Mrs. Crowley should marry the doctor. They have much more in common.

And I doubt very seriously if the police officer would have been as impertinent and rude in front of Lord Granthan and Lady Mary. Remember the classes were very much separated and some decorum would still be necessary.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,844 times
I thought this episode was great (I admit I was waiting for last week's ep to end).

Loved so many scenes: Barrow telling Denker to pick on someone her own age, Robert saying he was amazed there was finally a secret in the house he was privy to, plus others mentioned here--Violet telling Susan it is far too late for her to be a good loser, and of course--DOWN, you cat. Hooray for Shrimpy; he's got real class.

Susan is such a vile character, I think it is a credit to the actor. She has that sucking-on-a-lemon look down pat.

The memorial scene was touching, and Mrs. Patmore at her nephew's plaque was very moving. Hooray for Robert.

I also think Isobel should marry the doctor--if she cares for him as he does for her--and cut that other guy and his awful sons loose.

Really hope Branson doesn't leave altogether and puts in some appearances, at least, in the last season.

Mary extending a lunch invitation and adding 'even you, Edith' was so typically rude. Carson is so kind to Mary and he said a few seasons back that she was is favorite, but I'm finding it tougher to have any sympathy for her anymore.

I hope Edith doesn't remain a sad sack up to the end; yes, she has Marigold now but I still noticed a rather hurt-puppy look about her (though realistically that wouldn't vanish overnight after a lifetime) and hope her life will develop in some way.

I am glad Robert and Cora are doing better.

Assuming she will be gone soon, I will miss Isis' golden hindquarters opening the final season!

And along with pretty much everyone else, enough with the who-killed-the-creep saga, already.

I was sad to see Anna taken away, but did get a kick out of how "I am Lady Mary Crawley" had zero effect on the arresting officer.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,136 times
Quote:
I thought she had already decided to run the publishing company until Tom told her she should do it and it seemed like a shock to Edith. Oh well, at least they're getting there with Edith finally. I so want her to become a different woman. She's the quintessential middle child: Mary is the confident one, responsible for handling the estate; Sybil was the crazy, rebellious younger child; and Edith just reminds me of Jan Brady, always being insecure and jealous of her older sister. Mary, Mary, Mary!
My mother was a middle child, not the favorite of either parent, and her older sister was prettier. My mother grew up to be less shallow than either her mother or her sister; and in her mid twenties moved several states away, from the midwest to the East, to be more on her own, though she always remained loyal and loving to her family. She had a longer, and happier, life than her sister. If she had been born to Edith's position in the Crawley family, I doubt she would have hung around Downton as long; she'd have enjoyed life in London, though she would not have had an affair with any married man, even one married to an insane woman.

Edith definitely needs to get away from Downton, at least for part of the year. Mary will be the favored princess of the estate for as long as she lives, or at least until little George grows up and marries (if he survives to father a male heir himself, and if the family can maintain Downton), and Edith doesn't need to stay there in her shadow.

I would imagine that the final season (isn't Season 6 supposed to be the last) will end with Violet's death and/or Mary's second marriage, and a resolution of at least some of the plotlines: Bates and Anna will leave Downton to set up an inn and have a child; Daisy will either take over as Downton financial agent (which would be far-fetched unless several more years pass) or end up happily in London; Carson will at least kiss Mrs. Hughes, Edith will have a busy and fulfilling life in London running the publishing company and raising Marigold. Maybe Robert and Cora will take a second honeymoon in Paris or Spain or New York or something. Not sure what will happen to Barrow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV