Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crayola View Post
Wasn't there a lot of controversy over Mary Hartman Mary Hartman? I remember when All in the Family first came out, it was a huge shock the things they said, especially Archie. Do you remember Mr. Ed, Lassie, Petticoat Junction, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and of course the early I Love Lucy show?
These shows have been discussed a great deal throughout the forum but I don't think they were particularly weird. They were very popular in their day.

Mary Hartman, I agree, was very controversial. As was All in the Family. They brought subjects to the small screen that were never before talked about. I think they were both ground breakers. Mary Hartman herself was one weird lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Don't forget Land of the Giants. Space version of Gullivers Travels set in the far off future year of 1983.

Also:

Petticoat Junction. A curvy red head, a curvy brunette, and a really curvy blonde live in Hooterville and bathe in the town's water supply. Ohhhhh-kay. And despite the winky winkiness of "lots of curves--you bet!" it wasn;t sexy.

Manimal. NYU prof could change into any animal to help fight crimes. Pretty bad.

Flying Nun. Strangest idea for a sitcom ever.

Geico Cave Man as a tv series. I don't even remember the name of this one, it was so bad.

Twin Peaks--although at least it was supposed to be weird.

Small Wonder. Robot scientist builds robot in the shape of a 10-year-old girl, then tries to hide her amid his family. Theme-song quote: "She's fantastic/Made of plastic."

Cop Rock. Cops sing and dance while performing legit, hard-core cop work

Beauty and the Beast. A pretty gal and an ugly critter love each other while they solve crimes.

Homeboys from Outer Space
I absolutely loved this show!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
What an interesting thread! A lot of these shows I never heard of though. There was a really weird one around the time of Twilight Zone called "Way Out." they only made and showed a few episodes though, very creepy. Another creepy one was "Thriller" with Boris Karloff as host. One of the creepiest for me was "One Step Beyond" - the theme song alone was enough to scare me!

Anyway I went searching on Youtube for "Vegetable Soup" which I had never seen and found one episode:

Vegetable Soup: Outerscope - YouTube

Pretty weird stuff.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
My all time, never miss it show was The Twilight Zone..it was great! The opening was quite scary...give a listen/look....

Opening music Intro:
THE TWILIGHT ZONE THEME - YouTube

One episode trailer: The Twilight Zone - Time Enough At last Video by .. - Myspace Video

Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Anyone besides me remember the show The Immortal? Early '70s I think. The main character had some trait in his blood that made him, well, immortal, so the government was after him (I assume to use him as a guinea pig) and he was on the run. He would help people along the way, e.g. by transfusing some of his blood to dying kids. OK, I'm laughing as I write this 'cause it sounds so hokey, but I was just a kid and I loved the show. Alas, it didn't last long.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
"Anyway I went searching on Youtube for "Vegetable Soup" which I had never seen and found one episode:"

Oh nooooo! Not liking this at all! Creepy!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm 46 years old.

In the early seventies there was an animated and puppet educational based program for children on PBS called Vegetable Soup.
It was one of the most creepy and disturbing programs for children ever written.
I watched it whenever it was on and because of it I suffered nightmares and issues with concentrating on it during the day at school.

The worst part of the program was when the puppets from Outer scope would come on.

About ten years ago I belonged to an online group that consisted of people like myself that were affected by the program.
The group existed as a form of outlet for people to express the problems they had because of this program.

I remember some of those people spoke of having to go to therapy because of it.

It's too difficult to explain the reasoning as to why so many people were affected you just had to have watched it to know what I'm talking about.
Was anyone else negatively affected by this program?

Just watched about a minute of the show posted. One of the creepiest things I've seen in a long time. I would think anyone watching it regularly would end up in therapy! Those weird puppet heads but with real human hands....I may need some help now!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
It's not weird but I enjoyed it

THE REAL MCCOYS TV INTRO - YouTube

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post

Haha - I used to watch that! Luke always called his wife "Sugar Babe."

Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post

I always loved Walter Brennan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV