Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I understand that Jim Jones talked his followers into drinking Kool-Aid laden with cyanide in what became known as the Jonestown Massacre. Yeah, know all about that. I am not an old dog, but I am not a young buck, either. In my time, I have never heard the term used in pop culture, or in general, until Obama's election.

I've heard it used for years. Its been made more political since recent events, but its not a new think since the election.

Just accept it. Just accept that no matter what the writers where thinking, ultimately the show did not end the way that some wanted it to, and that upsets them.

Well said. Its sometimes forgotten that writers write their stories and readers take from it what they will. I have been really suprised what people have seen in some of mine, stuff I didn't see at all. If you write so your conclusion will make the majority of the audience happy then your writing by formula instead of giving your own pov.

Incidentally, when they dropped the nuke down the shaft (you know, because Faraday told them that it would erase all that happened and send them back to a normal life) and the Survivors found themselves still on the island, Juliet wanted to tell Sawyer that 'it worked'. But....what worked? In the beginning of Season 6, we see the flash-sideways that begin back on the plane, but it does not crash and everything seems to go on as it normally would. But....they are supposed to be dead in these scenes....and how did it work if 'they' were still on the island? Parallel universes? Or did they die in the nuke blast (for possibly the second time)?
Perhaps the bomb was what created the meltdown that was part of the origional timeline. If it hadn't the island would have crumbled. Maybe the scene of the island underwater is part of the sideways timeline because they were never there to prevent Dharma from drilling too far.

And people who were alive on the island were part of the sideways, and people who were dead. But everyone was dead who was inside the church. But... some before Jack and some long after (my guess Hurley). There was no "time" in the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I liked this thread better when people were inventing creative answers to solve the shows inconsistencies. I to think I made fun of them...

Example - Why wasn't Ekko on the last show? Not because the producers wouldn't pay his price but "oh Ekko was not ready to move on and was not yet at inner peace with the island....".
Those theories, although silly and nonsensical, were much more fun to read.

Why was Jack's father everywhere? Yeah we all know it's because the writers got lazy. But please someone invent an answer...
like when I was young and in chuch... I would ask..why do people die of starvation and sickness.....because GOD works in mysterious ways, and tests us....I just ate it up because "they" said it was true....when there are much more simple answers out there. Your post cracked me up

Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There is a big difference. Everyone involved with, traveling on, and fighting against the Millennium Falcon knew that hyperdrive worked and accepted the fact that it did. The folks on the island had no idea what was happening to them; furthermore, they were trying to find out what the island was all about. The writers made the island a part of the story, and then either dropped it like a hot potato, or muddied the story so badly to cover up the fact that they didn't have an answer for the island. I still haven't decided which.
I literally pictured these writers with giant white boards that they needed to use to tie one story line to another. I pictured lines form one scene or one episode tied to another, with each of these lines eventually growing in to one line whereas in the end, we would finally reach the end of the line. The massive web of Genious, math, story telling, charactor developement, must certainly be the greatest feat in TV history....turns out they probably used a magic 8 ball per episode. Or maybe they played rock-sizzors-paper to come up new plot...who the heck knows...old addage, if it seems to good to be true...it usually is. And it was.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
In my opinion, it really gets to these questions:
1. Did you enjoy watching the show overall?
2. Of the 100 something hours of episodes, how many of them did you really enjoy watching?
3. Regardless of the finale, considering only all other episodes, how would you rate the show?

I understand many people were upset. If one was eagerly waiting for straight answers and invested a great amount of time waiting for them, the crazier the storyline became the higher the expectation was, asking oneself how in the world would the authors possibly explain mysteries/give answers. I can understand and respect one's frustration.

However I also enjoyed watching it overall. Lost was a great series, and the finale was 2 1/2h of more than 100 hours total. So it was the last episode, but for me it was really just one more episode. There were fantastic ones throughout the series, especially Locke and Desmond centric. I spent good hours watching them as opposed to so much garbage there is on tv today.
For 3 years I enjoyed my Ex wife "over all" but when I found her with another man, at that moment, and every since then, I have not considered THAT a good marriage. I don't care about the 3 good years...they were all a lie...just like lost was. just a lie.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There is a big difference. Everyone involved with, traveling on, and fighting against the Millennium Falcon knew that hyperdrive worked and accepted the fact that it did. The folks on the island had no idea what was happening to them; furthermore, they were trying to find out what the island was all about. The writers made the island a part of the story, and then either dropped it like a hot potato, or muddied the story so badly to cover up the fact that they didn't have an answer for the island. I still haven't decided which.
I was talking about your enjoyment as the viewer. If you noticed, the characters in Lost stopped wondering why the island was so whacky in Season 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I liked this thread better when people were inventing creative answers to solve the shows inconsistencies. I to think I made fun of them...

Example - Why wasn't Ekko on the last show? Not because the producers wouldn't pay his price but "oh Ekko was not ready to move on and was not yet at inner peace with the island....".
Those theories, although silly and nonsensical, were much more fun to read.

Why was Jack's father everywhere? Yeah we all know it's because the writers got lazy. But please someone invent an answer...
I was just trying to explain some unanswered questions in the plot, but according to Lostopedia, all the 'mysteries' except for two or three were answered. I guess that is all a matter of interpretation, though.

How's this:

The nuke, combined with the electromagnetism of the island, split space/time and created a parallel universe where in the flash-sideways they were not dead, but yet just in another time-line that had moved in a different direction. In this time-line, flight 815 does not crash (obviously). Ben, through Eloise Hawking and Christian Shephard (who is really running the show) figures out a way to enter into the 'new' time-line (through a portal on the island) and is there to recruit the Survivors back to the island. That is why Ben did not enter the church, and why a few other characters were not 'awakened'. Ben has his own way back, and the light in the church door-way was a portal back to the island. They are needed to go back to the island to help close the connection to the flash-sideways time-line because it is making the island really go whacky.

And yes, Eko was not in the last episode because being on an island out in the middle of the ocean really (as in real life) freaked him out and he would not negotiate a new contract, and that is why he left the show. His character was supposed to play a deeper role in the plot, but had to be cut short. I only mentioned this as a means to explain why some things about the plot/story did not make sense; the writers had to compensate when some key characters left the show.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
Don't be so sure.

JJ Abrahms still holds at least some of the rights to LOST.

I look for JJ to do a movie(s) maybe 5-8 years from now. He's probably writing the script now. Consider the original pilot and maybe the 1st or 2nd Seasons to be the "prequel." He'll pick it up from there and do it right.

The show really took a weird turn after he left in the 3rd season.
I am not sure how it works in television, but a screenwriter cannot sell a (film) script about a story without owning the rights to the story 100%, and, those rights are transferred to the studio that ultimately houses the catalog and distribution rights once the script is sold.

Think of like a band signing a contract to a major label. The band writes the songs, finds the producers, etc., but the label ultimately owns the rights to songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Unless it was off screen, Richard never had a sip of the water either but he lived a very long life and did not age. But he was chosen by Jacob, just as Hurley made Ben his number two. I'll bet Ben lived just as he was until somehow Hurley passed on the torch.
In the Richard centric episode when the Black Rock shipwrecks on the island, Jacob had Richard drink from his flask and told him, "now you are like me."

Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you noticed, the characters in Lost stopped wondering why the island was so whacky in Season 5.
Ah ha. That's exactly my point.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I think they whole last season was botched up. If they knew it was coming to an end...it would have been better to answer questions without having to go into whole episodes with so much unneeded detail. (Jacob's Story, Richard's Story) I totally loved this show, but after this last season, I'm okay with it being over because it didn't intrigue me any longer.

Putting everyone in a church and sending them to heaven didn't blend in with the earlier seasons. It was an ill written cop out. It felt like empty wrapped presents at Christmas. So much hype....but nothing delivered.

And again, I am a big fan of this show and followed it for 6 years. I'm not just being in gripe mode. I'm really disappointed.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
GloryB, I would agree with Jacob's story being a waste of time... the storyline should have been great but that episode was terrible!!
I had been waiting so long to learn about Jacob and it was just terrible!!!

But I disagree regarding Richard's episode. Ok, I loved the character, but the episode was perfect. I loved every minute of it and rewatched it one hundred times.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think they whole last season was botched up. If they knew it was coming to an end...it would have been better to answer questions without having to go into whole episodes with so much unneeded detail. (Jacob's Story, Richard's Story) I totally loved this show, but after this last season, I'm okay with it being over because it didn't intrigue me any longer.

Putting everyone in a church and sending them to heaven didn't blend in with the earlier seasons. It was an ill written cop out. It felt like empty wrapped presents at Christmas. So much hype....but nothing delivered.

And again, I am a big fan of this show and followed it for 6 years. I'm not just being in gripe mode. I'm really disappointed.
Why wouldn't you want to have centric episodes on Jacob and Richard? Those are the two characters that SHOULD have centric episodes!

Looking back, I think that most of my questions were answered except for the flash-forwards. Shouldn't they have been the flash-sideways since they were happening in 'real' time and not necessarily in the future? What's the deal with Kate's horse? What's the deal with Walt?

And....why was Richard wearing eyeliner?

What do you want answered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV