Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
At least we're treated to some very genuine-sounding non-Westerosi pseudo-languages + accents in GoT. I get a kick out of those! Always trying to understand them without subtitles!
We started watching GOT a few months ago, and for some reason the first half of season 1 did not have any subtitles. We knew there had to be subtitles, but could never get them to come up. So during those scenes we started making up what we thought they were talking about, and sometimes we ended up being pretty close, but other times we were completely off (or figured we were based on where the story went).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Did anyone notice how far the story line of Sansa, Brienne and Podric has moved away from the books? That part of the story is completely unpredictable now (unless you cheated and saw the first 4 episodes online ). I'm guessing it was created in collaboration with GRRM, but having felt "trapped" by endless walkaround subplots in Vol.4 and 5 it actually feels refreshing to be in brand new territory!

I was really moved to see Arya sail in through the "gate" of Braavos (sp?) formed by the legs of the giant. That was the scene I hoped Season 4 would end with, and now we got it in Season 5--better late than never!

It's so funny about the accents. It seems to be an accepted style these days that a period show/fantasy show in a semi-historic European-type setting has to have British English as the default language of the good guys, and the various bad guys have a variety of other accents. I'm sure that will seem silly in the future, just like it seems silly now when we watch old movies where they're supposed to speak a foreign language, and instead they speak English with some all-purpose Southern or Eastern European accent.

At least we're treated to some very genuine-sounding non-Westerosi pseudo-languages + accents in GoT. I get a kick out of those! Always trying to understand them without subtitles!

Yes, I don't know what's going on with Sansa. TV-Littlefinger's been taking Stupidity Pills again; how else do you explain his taking Sansa to the North, when you consider who controls the North (the Boltons, who slaughtered Sansa's brother and mother and the Stark bannermen). Sansa may be a bit more mature, but there's no way that a 17-year-old girl (that's how old she's supposed to be in the show, I think) could outmaneuver Roose Bolton, and I doubt that Ramsay would be at all impressed by her.

And Brienne, who was a good-hearted, genuinely kind person in the books, has become unrecognizable. Pod seems to be used as comedy relief, though that's better than the fate that we don't know he escaped in the books.

Do not get me started on how they've messed up Ellaria Sand.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
What we've all been waiting for:

If Game of Thrones took place entirely on Facebook - Season 5, Episode 2. | GoT Recap Season 5 | Someecards

Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Yes, I don't know what's going on with Sansa. TV-Littlefinger's been taking Stupidity Pills again; how else do you explain his taking Sansa to the North, when you consider who controls the North (the Boltons, who slaughtered Sansa's brother and mother and the Stark bannermen). Sansa may be a bit more mature, but there's no way that a 17-year-old girl (that's how old she's supposed to be in the show, I think) could outmaneuver Roose Bolton, and I doubt that Ramsay would be at all impressed by her.

And Brienne, who was a good-hearted, genuinely kind person in the books, has become unrecognizable. Pod seems to be used as comedy relief, though that's better than the fate that we don't know he escaped in the books.

Do not get me started on how they've messed up Ellaria Sand.
Brienne seems to be a genuinely kind and good-hearted person in the show. She may be snappy sometimes, but who wouldn't be in her situation? I think I read that she had more to do in the books because of Lady Stoneheart, though I'm not really clear on who or what that is or if it will ever appear in the show. The consensus I read was that the showrunners have done away with the Lady Stoneheart storyline, so Brienne's time should be up soon.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,884 times
She tortured those rapists she defeated when on the road with Jaime; the real Brienne would have killed them but not tortured them. She's been really mean to Podrick.

Brienne's time up? I don't think so, at least not necessarily. Maybe she'll help out Sansa in Winterfell, or die saving her from the Boltons. It depends on whether Brienne was important to any of the plotlines continuing to the end of the entire story, I guess.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,964,688 times
Quote:
She tortured those rapists she defeated when on the road with Jaime; the real Brienne would have killed them but not tortured them. She's been really mean to Podrick.

Brienne's time up? I don't think so, at least not necessarily. Maybe she'll help out Sansa in Winterfell, or die saving her from the Boltons. It depends on whether Brienne was important to any of the plotlines continuing to the end of the entire story, I guess.
they seem to make some of the characters harsher on the show than in the books - Brienne for one, Jamie (with his rape scene with Cersei), etc - or nicer than in the books - TV Tyrion and Dany are both better people than book Tyrion and Dany.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM

677 posts, read 653,748 times
I'm struggling with this season so far. I know that there will be divergences from the book, ommissions even. But some of them right now seem to be pointless or unnescesary, and the level of divergence is quickly intensifying. Now I knew/know that Arya in the house of black & white would be really hard to translate to screen and would have to be redone massively. But it really seems to me as if the stories at the wall are the only ones even trying to hold any semblence of tie to the books anymore. Changing for the sake of translation/necessity for storyline is one thing. But it almost seems as if they are going full off plot. I don't know, I'm not fond of it so far ...

Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
I'm struggling with this season so far. I know that there will be divergences from the book, ommissions even. But some of them right now seem to be pointless or unnescesary, and the level of divergence is quickly intensifying. Now I knew/know that Arya in the house of black & white would be really hard to translate to screen and would have to be redone massively. But it really seems to me as if the stories at the wall are the only ones even trying to hold any semblence of tie to the books anymore. Changing for the sake of translation/necessity for storyline is one thing. But it almost seems as if they are going full off plot. I don't know, I'm not fond of it so far ...
I'll present the opposite point of view. I've read every book, and they are far too wordy and rambling to ever be a TV series. It would take some serious editing to make them visual, and that's exactly what they're doing. Serious editing. Compounding it are some plot lines in the books that have nothing to do with the ultimate goal. In the books, you can get away with side-stories, and rambling exposition. In a TV series, you need sharp, concise writing to keep it moving.

I don't think any change is for the sake of change. I think they are doing what's necessary to make a great TV series, that moves along and keeps viewers involved. I will also add, being very active in some GoT forum, most (but not all) book readers like the job they are doing. Probably 80%+.

I think the TV showrunners are doing an excellent job.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:32 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
I can definitely see the value in making "Jaquar" into Arya's teacher in Braavos, but not so sure about Jaime to Dorne (though it does provide a decent excuse for him to leave KL).

Old 04-25-2015, 03:36 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:

I'd like to see Brienne go to Mereen and work for Dany. As Brienne said, all she really wants to do is work for someone who is worthy character-wise. Not sure if they'll go that way in the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV