Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 03:53 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,818,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

I also think that none of the judges, except Christina Aguilera when she is on, are known for having exceptional voices. Gwen Stefani would probably be the first to tell you she isn't a great vocalist, but she gets by on being a unique vocalist (and one that was much better suited to ska than pop).

I would also say that it is probably more about having the "IT" factor than anything else. Darius probably had the most technical skill of anyone this season, but he was just so hard to connect to because it was more about vocal acrobatics than the song. Not a one of them up there could really help him with the technical stuff, but he probably needed someone more like Gwen who could have helped him to connect to a song and bring that to the audience. Maybe given him a cool blonde haircut too, LOL! ;-)

That's true though I do think that Adam's voice is great usually. Depending on the song, he can sound amazing but he's definitely not known for his voice.
It is definitely more about the "IT" factor and I think it always was. That's just how the industry is. I do not think there's anything wrong with it all the time. I don't connect with an artist because of their voice but because of other things and this is apparent when the one I've admired the longest doesn't even really sing. Heck my favorite band's lead singer is a terrible vocalist but they're still my favorite band. It's nice to have a good voice but it's not the only thing that holds the attention.

Although it is annoying when Gwen changes up her artists. To have the IT factor you don't try and be like someone else..a lot of it has to be natural. She needs to mold them in a way where they are the best version of themselves not mini clones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,157,186 times
UGI like Amy's voice a lot. I don't think she will win, nor should she, but she has a soothing and cool tone that is sort of a relaxing background music. I'm going to buy all her songs on I Tunes and I would love to buy a light jazz album if she'd put one out.

I don't get Blake's infatuation with Emily Ann. I think Shelby is way better. Maybe it's the looks.

Braiden is adorable, but it's time to go home. He's too young anyway. Child stars end up dead early, and no one wants that for Sunshine.

I think Madi is terrific. While I wasn't in love with her choice of the Cyndi Lauper anthem, I thought her tweaking of it was pretty masterful.

I was sad when the skinny guy that could sing Stevie Wonder went home last week. I didn't think he belonged in the bottom two. Some of the decisions this season have been strange. Lots of great talent, though.

Oh, who the HELL picked out that Hillary Clinton old lady pantsuit for Korin? Did Gwen do that?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,003,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
UGI like Amy's voice a lot. I don't think she will win, nor should she, but she has a soothing and cool tone that is sort of a relaxing background music. I'm going to buy all her songs on I Tunes and I would love to buy a light jazz album if she'd put one out.

I don't get Blake's infatuation with Emily Ann. I think Shelby is way better. Maybe it's the looks.

Braiden is adorable, but it's time to go home. He's too young anyway. Child stars end up dead early, and no one wants that for Sunshine.

I think Madi is terrific. While I wasn't in love with her choice of the Cyndi Lauper anthem, I thought her tweaking of it was pretty masterful.

I was sad when the skinny guy that could sing Stevie Wonder went home last week. I didn't think he belonged in the bottom two. Some of the decisions this season have been strange. Lots of great talent, though.

Oh, who the HELL picked out that Hillary Clinton old lady pantsuit for Korin? Did Gwen do that?
I agree with most everything you said, except the Madi part. I still don't understand why people like her voice, but everyone has their own tastes. Maybe people enjoy her because she sounds somewhat like Ellie Goulding. I don't understand why Blake is so hung up on Emily Ann either. My wife and I believe it's her looks as well, because Shelby is much more talented. I also agree about Braiden. He's cute more than a star. Ditto on the Amy thing. I picture her continuing her career in Starbucks like venues. She will have moderate success, I think. She reminds me of Joshua from last season. She has a smooth, soothing voice. And finally, I find it ironic that Gwen claims that she wants the artists on her team to just be themselves, yet she changes up their looks and wardrobe for their performances, sometimes dramatically. I think changing Korinne's appearance did her a grave disservice, because what made her stand out was her quirkiness. Once that was gone, she didn't have a chance.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:24 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,523,674 times
I didn't watch the eliminations so I don't know what Korin wore for her meltdown. But remember that red dress? You could tell she was SO uncomfortable, and her performance suffered because of it. Ha ha I mentioned the Hillary Clinton pantsuit a few posts back, NLVgal. I couldn't tell if that particular outfit was making Korin uncomfortable, but I'm pretty sure the emphasis Gwen was placing on her hair and clothes and glasses and her appearance in general took away from her confidence and from her performance.

Gwen hon, what's wrong with letting your team be themselves? Nothing wrong with helping them style themselves a little better, but if you're going so far that they're uncomfortable in their own skin, then you're doing it wrong.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,157,186 times
I like Gwen, but guest coach Rhianna was a superior technical voice coach. Gwen is a talent, and so very creative, but I don't think she's a great coach. She'd be my last pick, if I could sing. Which I can't. At all.

I've seen Gwen live with No Doubt and she can captivate an audience, so don't think I don't admire her. I just think she sucks as a coach.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:42 AM

919 posts, read 792,473 times
remember Jeffery's blind audition where Gwen's was the only chair to turn? I thought that was very suspicious.

Agree he may win (first woman coach to win!!) But I think Jordan deserves to and probably will.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:40 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,744,633 times
I actually prefer Gwen to Christina or Shakira. Not because she is technically better, but because she seems to care more about her people and I think she gets along with the guys better.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:38 AM

So tonight -- one day before the "Red Wedding" of the Voice LOL!

Here is hoping for a Jordan, Jeffery, Madi, Shelby/Amy/Barrett (I don't care who that last one is out of them, as long as it avoids Emily Ann)

Old 12-07-2015, 09:50 AM

Will take Braiden Sunshine over Emily Ann. ;-)

Old 12-07-2015, 01:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,523,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
So tonight -- one day before the "Red Wedding" of the Voice LOL!

Here is hoping for a Jordan, Jeffery, Madi, Shelby/Amy/Barrett (I don't care who that last one is out of them, as long as it avoids Emily Ann)
LOL

Well, there's no way Blake will lose all his, will he? I see one from each team advancing. And sorry randomlikeme, I think it will be Emily Ann. Adam will have Jordan, Gwen will have Jeffery, and Pharrell will have Madi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV