Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 AM

350 posts, read 477,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
neither place wins them anything.
Jaxson, I thought the there was a scale, with the runner up getting $100,000, 3rd place $80,000 or something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Poor Woo, always catching it. lol

So did I see Tyson in a burger commercial?!

But yeah, doesn't 2nd get 100k, etc.?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If production didn't want this Sia person on stage, she doesn't get on stage. They're prepared for stuff like that. It insults our intelligence when they try to pretend it's spontaneous. I agree that it was a lousy reunion show. They don't have to catch up with everyone who was in the game, but Probst needs to ask the players questions about the game and its aftermath for them. One wants to know how the medevacked people made out, what people were thinking at key moments, what was the truth behind this or that. Don't care about Cochbite, or whoever else is in the crowd.
The reunion shows have been lousy for a long time. I used to look forward to them, to get the behind-the-scenes info, updates, etc. Now it's just conversations with 2 or 3 players, a lot of shilling for projects (Boston Rob's book, for instance), and commercials galore. Still love the show, but fast forward through 90% of the reunion show these days.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Are you talking about Dale and Kelley Wentworth? Personally I'd much rather meet Kelley.
Yeah, that'd be them. Since I'm in my fifties and married, definitely rather talk to Dale. Kelley I wouldn't be able to pick out of a crowd.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:00 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Jaxson, I thought the there was a scale, with the runner up getting $100,000, 3rd place $80,000 or something like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Poor Woo, always catching it. lol

So did I see Tyson in a burger commercial?!

But yeah, doesn't 2nd get 100k, etc.?
Yeah. 2nd gets $100,000 and it's so much less than the winner gets so that people don't come on the show and only play for 2nd. According to Wikipedia, 3rd place typically gets $85,000. The first season with tied runner-ups, Fiji, the two runner-ups both got $100,000 and Yau-Man in 4th got $60,000. The first player voted off the first season got $2,500. It may have gone up since then. They also all get $10,000 for appearing at the reunion. I also remember hearing that contestants are not allowed to share the money they win with other contestants. That way two people can't conspire to help each other get to the final 2 and then split the money they win.

I do know according to Rob Cesternino on his Rob Has a Podcast has said that for Survivor All-Stars they upped the prize money for all but Sole Survivor in order to help entice the returning players to come back and make them feel like they were real all stars. As far as I know, that's not been done since.

Reality Blurred posted a copy of the contract that contestants had to sign stating specific rules about 6 years ago. It just says the prize money ranges from $2,500 to $100,000. It has likely changed and obviously doesn't include some things. And of course includes things like "The producers can change the rules at any time including in the middle of a challenge." Sadly, while it goes into great depth about tiebreakers, it doesn't list the tiebreaker for a winner of the game. It's an interesting read but honestly doesn't reveal too much that isn't already known.

Survivor rules: the contract that details pay, tie-breakers, more

Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,002 times
The contract above doesn't cover confidentiality. Certainly they're not allowed to reveal results until they're shown on TV, but aparently they're also not allowed to reveal things about the production, including the prizes awarded. I was under the impression, however, that there was a time limit to this and wondered if any of the participants in early seasons have revealed any secrets after their contractual restrictions have expired.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:24 PM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Well that's interesting because I remember Tina, who was one of the winners of survivor, purchased a rather expensive motorcycle for runner-up Colby, which appears to be expressly against the terms of the contract. No one took away her prize money though, even though that was listed in the contract as something a/the producers could do.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Sorry I meant in terms of recognition in the history of the game I should have elaborated my point better.

Quote:
Yeah. 2nd gets $100,000 and it's so much less than the winner gets so that people don't come on the show and only play for 2nd. According to Wikipedia, 3rd place typically gets $85,000. The first season with tied runner-ups, Fiji, the two runner-ups both got $100,000 and Yau-Man in 4th got $60,000. The first player voted off the first season got $2,500. It may have gone up since then. They also all get $10,000 for appearing at the reunion. I also remember hearing that contestants are not allowed to share the money they win with other contestants. That way two people can't conspire to help each other get to the final 2 and then split the money they win.
Thanks for posting this it is always good to have a reminder of the monetary breakdown.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-28-2016 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 PM

537 posts, read 446,110 times
Quote:
Yeah. 2nd gets $100,000 and it's so much less than the winner gets so that people don't come on the show and only play for 2nd.
then its not so bad for her after all.........

Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Well that's interesting because I remember Tina, who was one of the winners of survivor, purchased a rather expensive motorcycle for runner-up Colby, which appears to be expressly against the terms of the contract. No one took away her prize money though, even though that was listed in the contract as something a/the producers could do.
That was only the second season. Perhaps things were different then. Maybe that's the reason they added that rule? The contract Reality Blurred posted was from right before the 21st season or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV